The Rubber Match (vs. DIAMONDBACKS, 7/24)

OFFNY

1 minute ago, Philip said:

When I was a young boy, our air-conditioner would frequently break, so we had the windows open and we had lots of bugs in the house, and I kept an enormous praying mantis on the windowsill in the kitchen and would catch flies and feed them to it.

It was incredible to watch. I’d hold the fly, praying mantis would turn her head, not her body, just her head, then pivot her body, grab the fly and start eating it: top down, side to side like a typewriter: Side to side to side and down and down and down  until nothing was left in the praying mantis was licking her mandibles. What a wonderful thing it was to watch, and she could take a fly from all there  to licking her mandibles in about 30 seconds. 

Yeah, they are fascinating creatures. I always pick them up when I find one. The two I found this year were on the screen doors, so I took them and put them in one of my flowers. I can't remember the last time I saw even one praying mantis here. Kinda rare, but never seen two babies before. I hope they have a resurgence.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You had air conditioning as a child?  Must have been nice.  I had a box fan I put on stacks of books to blow on the bed.

If it weren’t for air-conditioning, Texas would have no people in it. We had a water tower system and it was amazing. To this day I associate the sound of running water with those hot summer days when the water tower was running on full. The house I grew up in was built just after World War II, and it actually was equipped with air-conditioning right from the start. 

1 minute ago, Sessh said:

Deer rarely ever come around here, but they are in areas not far from here. Too many houses and nowhere to hide. Did you know deer eat birds? So much for that whole herbivores thing. I found out not too long ago that almost every animal that can be called an herbivore are also opportunistic carnivores. Quite interesting. Take that, vegans!

I wish I could just rip up the lawn and replace it with rocks.. or clovers maybe, they attract bees. Lawns are a pain to maintain.

I think that is why I have been seeing these two more often.  The wooded lot next door was bought by a neighbor and partially cleared off and the same is happening to some of the other lots around.  The back end on both sides of our house are still wooded to some extent and we have a lake in the back.

I just wish they would stop eating out aloe plants, they tore three pretty big ones up right bad.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You had air conditioning as a child?  Must have been nice.  I had a box fan I put on stacks of books to blow on the bed.

We didn't have a color TV til I was about 14. 1976. No air conditioning thru me graduating and getting married and moving out. Ex and I had my first AC.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just wish they would stop eating out aloe plants, they tore three pretty big ones up right bad.

Yeah, that's the problem with animals. They're great and all, but you can't tell them what to do. Rabbits keep eating the leaves off my morning glories and sometimes snap the stem at the bottom killing most of it. Rabbits started walking up to me pretty close recently. They're cute, but they're annoying. Urine deters them until it washes off, though. I have a small food garden, but it's enclosed all the way around and on top with chicken wire.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

If it weren’t for air-conditioning, Texas would have no people in it. We had a water tower system and it was amazing. To this day I associate the sound of running water with those hot summer days when the water tower was running on full. The house I grew up in was built just after World War II, and it actually was equipped with air-conditioning right from the start. 

You're from Texas? How'd you end up an O's fan?

2 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Yeah, that's the problem with animals. They're great and all, but you can't tell them what to do. Rabbits keep eating the leaves off my morning glories and sometimes snap the stem at the bottom killing most of it. Rabbits started walking up to me pretty close recently. They're cute, but they're annoying. Urine deters them until it washes off, though. I have a small food garden, but it's enclosed all the way around and on top with chicken wire.

Chicken wire?