Rio Ruiz optioned

eddie83

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't realize Ruiz had an option remaining when they acquired him off waivers from the Braves. https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-rio-ruiz-20181210-story.html

The Orioles claimed infielder Rio Ruiz off waivers from the Atlanta Braves Monday, the team announced, continuing the recent trend of new executive vice president and general manager Mike Elias bringing in players he's familiar with from his previous stops to fill in the fringes of the roster...

Ruiz has one minor league option remaining...

Hopefully not permanent; I think he is still due a little more evaluation time.  He's shown flashes.  I think he should try to open his stance up just a little ( or at least go straight away) as his closed stance seems to cut him off some times when he swings.   His bat needs to get going if its going to happen for him though.

27 minutes ago, Philip said:

He’s not. Pedro Alvarez is worse but not by much. Nunez at 3B is the worst possible alternative.

Why though?  It's a lost season, essentially a try out, to see what guys can do.  If Nunez can be somewhat decent at 3B, his value goes way up.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

He’s not. Pedro Alvarez is worse but not by much. Nunez at 3B is the worst possible alternative.

Among the 31 3B that played at least 400 innings at the position last year, Nunez led all 3B in UZR/150. https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=3b&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=450&type=1&season=2018&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2018-01-01&enddate=2018-12-31&sort=25,d

Nunez also ranked 10th in defensive runs above average. Oh and for all of the talk about his below average arm, Nunez ranked 12th in Error Runs above average. 

I feel like a lot of people have missed the "Ruiz is about to be a dad" part from earlier and the Orioles seem to be giving him a few extra days (he can take all 3 days to "report" to Norfolk and then be on the "Temporary Inactive List"). I would be surprised if he actually plays more than 3 games there, if any.

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

More to the story. 

I hope that's the case.  I have in a 30 team fantasy league and keep close tabs on his performance, and he has an .838 OPS over the past 30 days....while being very much protected against left handed pitching.  

2 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Why though?  It's a lost season, essentially a try out, to see what guys can do.  If Nunez can be somewhat decent at 3B, his value goes way up.

But he isn’t. The Rangers dumped him in part because his defense is mostly unplayable. 

1 hour ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Among the 31 3B that played at least 400 innings at the position last year, Nunez led all 3B in UZR/150. https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=3b&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=450&type=1&season=2018&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2018-01-01&enddate=2018-12-31&sort=25,d

Nunez also ranked 10th in defensive runs above average. Oh and for all of the talk about his below average arm, Nunez ranked 12th in Error Runs above average. 

That’s very surprising and I don’t disagree, but man he’s looked awful. And in general he looks bad in the field. If he’s really good and not the train wreck I keep seeing maybe I’m just not watching enough.

thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Actually I looked him up, he’s actually not very good, and in the list you provided, he’s ranked above Arenado and Chapman Which is just wrong.

Archived