Roy Firestone Series (vs. ANGELS, 7/28)

OFFNY

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I never liked legos. Whatever I made bore almost no resemblance to the picture on the box or the marvels other people made.  I was more at the Lincoln Log level.

Trying to do some of the Tinker Toys models was really frustrating. I had to beg my mom to make the helicopter after failing all morning--and she actually could!

25 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The defensive stats are really noisy and you need a large sample size for them to have much meaning.   I've heard a full season might not even be enough.   So Santander is nowhere near close enough for those stats to have meaning yet.

Should we just ignore them until a player has X innings, then? Does this at least indicate that Santander is better in right than CF or LF? If the arm is poorly ranked in each position, does that mean anything?

Even given the unreliability of SSS defensive stats, if one guy is significantly better than another with the same SSS, would a comparison be legitimate?

thanks

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Trevor Bauer just threw a tantrum.  Wonder if he's going to get fined for it?  Maybe $42,069?

Are you referring to the ball he heaved over the CF fence or something afterwards? Why $42,069?

10 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Any way you can paraphrase the Boog story?

Palmer said when they first opened The Big A, the famous organist for the Dodger and sometimes Angels played Baby Elephant Walk the first time Boog came to the plate. Boog hits it about 430' to CF. 2nd time up, BEW again. Again huge HR to CF. 3rd time up, he played different walkup music. ?

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

Palmer said when they first opened The Big A, the famous organist for the Dodger and sometimes Angels played Baby Elephant Walk the first time Boog came to the plate. Boog hits it about 430' to CF. 2nd time up, BEW again. Again huge HR to CF. 3rd time up, he played different walkup music. ?

Haha. That is a good story. I never cared for the organists  back then, but now I would prefer them to how blasted loud and blurred the canned music is now.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Should we just ignore them until a player has X innings, then? Does this at least indicate that Santander is better in right than CF or LF? If the arm is poorly ranked in each position, does that mean anything?

Even given the unreliability of SSS defensive stats, if one guy is significantly better than another with the same SSS, would a comparison be legitimate?

thanks

Ignore is a strong word.   Don't take them seriously until there is a large sample size.

It takes longer for it to settle down and have meaning than hitting and pitching stats do.   And they take some time.

There will be someone who has been an average or just slightly good player hitting .360 in early May next year.   You'll feel good for the guy, and remark on what a great start he is off to.    But you won't really believe he is a .360 hitter.

It's tough, because intuitively, if "feels" like defense shouldn't have fluctuations (hot streaks and slumps).   Barring a legitimate reason like being hobbled by an injury, you would think it would be consistent.   But apparently, if you believe the numbers in these defensive stats, it doesn't.   Guys go through hot streaks and cold streaks.   And these stats TRY to measure things we can't really measure with the eye test -- the guy being so good he makes the play look easy so we aren't as impressed as we are when another guy makes a diving catch at the exact same spot; or a guy going full out and diving and just not getting to a ball that another guy might have glided over and caught on the fly.   We applaud the diver for the effort but often don't realize just how bad he is.

And then of course you have the fact that defensive results are a combination of ability and positioning.   How much of what you are measuring is due to the guy being positioned better or worse, versus his true ability.   I don't know if they have made any headway in determining that.

Archived