Tony Kemp DFA

sportsfan8703

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kempto01.shtml

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/astros-to-designate-tony-kemp-activate-carlos-correa.html

We’re at the point in the season where contenders are forced to get rid of valuable players as they solidly their roster for a playoff run. This is the third Astros player this has happened with recently. AJ Reed, Tyler White, now Kemp. Kemp offers us an option at 3B that we currently don’t have. Or he could play 2B and Alberto could play 3rd. 

He’d have make it passed Det to get to us on waivers. I don’t think he will hit waivers so we’d have to make a little trade. Crazy talk I know, but Kemp could be a 2.0 WAR player with everyday playing time. 

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

These threads are the worst

You’re right the threads about claiming Renato Nunez or Hanser Alberto are unbearable. We need more threads about Chris Davis and Duquette’s failures. 

We’re not going to be throwing money at FA anytime soon. No call ups on the horizon. No draft talk for 11 months. Trade talk for the next 55 hours. 

The most realistic way for us to acquire talent is through the waiver wire. 

• Upvote 4

I'm game for taking Kemp if he's available on waivers, but if he's not and it would take a trade, i'm not sure it's worth the effort. A PTNL or Cash type deal is fine, but as others have said, I'm not sure the upgrade is enough to actually offer up anything in a deal.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The most realistic way for us to acquire talent is through the waiver wire. 

That's a way for the Orioles to acquire replacement-ish level talent.  It's uncommon to have a solid, average MLB player exposed to waivers.  Kemp is 27 and will likely give you a .700 OPS while playing passable defense at a couple spots.  It would be difficult to tease out his advantages over Stevie Wilkerson, Hanser Alberto, Ryan Flaherty, etc.  There are a lot of players who could give you a 90 OPS+ with a decent glove at two or three positions.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

I'll say this -- he seems to have way more to offer than Keon Broxton.  

Does he?  Broxon has a .700 OPS and is a +10 CFer.  Kemp is an average fielder with a .700 OPS.  I know Broxton has been kind of lost for a bit, but I just don't see any upside with Kemp.  

55 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's a way for the Orioles to acquire replacement-ish level talent.  It's uncommon to have a solid, average MLB player exposed to waivers.  Kemp is 27 and will likely give you a .700 OPS while playing passable defense at a couple spots.  It would be difficult to tease out his advantages over Stevie Wilkerson, Hanser Alberto, Ryan Flaherty, etc.  There are a lot of players who could give you a 90 OPS+ with a decent glove at two or three positions.

Sometimes you just have to give guys full time PAs and see what they can do. What options do we currently have at 3B?  We have no organizational depth. In a season like this, why not pick up anyone that can play 3B and see what happens?

I like Jace Peterson, but I think he’s ticketed for 2B once Villar is traded. 

We gotta find out if these guys can play. I’ve seen enough of Ruiz. 

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

These threads are the worst

Preach.  There should be one DFA thread that gets bumped.  That way any time some other team cuts bait with someone that thread can get bumped and whoever thinks we should/could be interested in whatever castoff can go there so they can be shot down.  

No on Kemp and no on whoever else gets DFA'd.  

• Upvote 1