40 man additions for rule 5 protection?

HowAboutThat

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

The league moving to 26 players next season makes it easier for the O's to carry Davis on the major league active roster.

In my opinion, it really doesn’t make it that much easier.    It’s still clear that the O’s could get more value from that roster spot than they’re getting from Davis.   

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In my opinion, it really doesn’t make it that much easier.    It’s still clear that the O’s could get more value from that roster spot than they’re getting from Davis.   

Ok, sure,  but the O's are unlikely to eat his contract at this point and 26 players on the active roster make it easier than 25 to carry him on that roster.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

He is 27 years-old, has a 73 OPS+ and has accrued -0.6 rWAR in 237 plate appearances this season. The perfect utility guy plays a passable shortstop and is not sub-replacement level. Ryan Flaherty was an ideal utility guy, Stevie Wilkerson is not.

I don’t disagree with that, and I checked and you’re right, his stats do not overflow with reasons for accolades.

I’m happy letting him go if we can find somebody better, but I don’t think we should dump him just to free up space on the roster

1 hour ago, atomic said:

He was terrible in the infield.  He is a better centerfielder than infielder.  He will be 28 next season.  I don't see anyway he would be protected on the 40 man. He was already DFA'd once this season and there were no takers. 

I have no problem with DFA-ing anyone. I find it perpetually curious that so many people are afraid of this guy or that guy being claimed. Almost nobody we have would be a big loss. Not even Givens or Mancini would be a big loss, but Phillips, Scott, Ruiz, Carroll, Rogers, Ortiz, etc etc etc, no loss if they are claimed but few of them would be.

21 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t disagree with that, and I checked and you’re right, his stats do not overflow with reasons for accolades.

I’m happy letting him go if we can find somebody better, but I don’t think we should dump him just to free up space on the roster

Sorry but I’m ready to dump him. Let someone else take his spot. 

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Ok, sure,  but the O's are unlikely to eat his contract at this point and 26 players on the active roster make it easier than 25 to carry him on that roster.

Assuming that Davis is back next year — and I sincerely hope he isn’t — it will be interesting to see if he plays any less than he has this year.   

28 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

The organization is still trying to improve and develop the depth of talent. Wasting a roster spot does nothing to help with that.

OK tell Elias to tell the Angelos Bros. that they are eating 77m dollars.   I don't think he wants to have that conversation.

Just now, DirtyBird said:

I'd imagine that the Angelos Bros know what sunk costs are.

When a owner spends 77m he hope the player will turn around.   While the team is projected to lose they is no reason for Elias to address releasing  with ownership.   For what?  A development slot on the roster?   Be the GM for a minute.   Do you really want to have the discussion while you know you are likely to lose anyway?

As the farm system improves it will become more important to protect folks.  It will be interesting if there is a crunch of the 40 man going into next year.  Im not sure there will be, but IF there is, Davis becomes more of a problem than an expensive paperweight at the end of the bench.  But we can't know if ownership will eat the contract until they do.  It's crystal clear he isn't going to play well enough to hold a spot other than because of the contract.

But it would be a shame to waste a roster spot AND lose young talent because he is on the roster.

Well, the deferred money was always after he stopped playing, so to me, this off-season the number is down to 51 mill. 

When does that number get small enough they can swallow?  I always figured he'd get this year.  The results have not been something that appears worthy of a Comeback Player of the Year award.....?  They tried to fix/salvage and it didn't work.  If so, I really think they need to suck it up this off-season.  But I get it's a tough pill to swallow and we'll see when they are willing.  I really wonder if Davis, Angelos', Hyde, Elias can do this another year.  Mentally it has to be pretty bad for everyone (just like it is for us).

Archived