Roch: "I don't expect Villar back with the O's in 2020."

wildcard

4 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

From the report by Roch it sounds like the Orioles aren't interested in neither.  I guess I'd try to sign him to a one-year deal now for 2020. It seems everyone thinks he would get paid too much, but our payroll isn't that high.

I'm not in favor of overpaying for anything.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You offering him arbitration or trying to sign him as a free agent?

Here’s where I’m at: I go to a lot of games, so I like seeing him play because he’s one of the few legit major leaguers on the roster. I know people think he makes boneheaded plays, but he’s 5 runs above average on the bases and he should finish around 2.5 WAR.

However, if he is projected to get $7 million in arbitration, that’s probably too much given that the difference between 48 and 50 wins is meaningless (unless the extra 2 cost the team a better pick). So, I guess I’m saying it’s nice to have a major league player on the team, but I’d probably non-tender him given his projected arbitration cost.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sydnor said:

Here’s where I’m at: I go to a lot of games, so I like seeing him play because he’s one of the few legit major leaguers on the roster. I know people think he makes boneheaded plays, but he’s 5 runs above average on the bases and he should finish around 2.5 WAR.

However, if he is projected to get $7 million in arbitration, that’s probably too much given that the difference between 48 and 50 wins is meaningless (unless the extra 2 cost the team a better pick). So, I guess I’m saying it’s nice to have a major league player on the team, but I’d probably non-tender him given his projected arbitration cost.

I think the key question is whether some team with designs of competing in 2020 would be willing to send a DSL guy or two for the right to pay him that in the offseason.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sessh said:

Well, no one wanted Mancini either.. or Givens apparently. At least not bad enough to pay the price we wanted. Placeholders are "bad" players, aren't they? How long will it be before people here are calling for Wilkerson to be DFA'd after seeing him in the lineup every day at second base? Less than a month? I'd rather see Villar than Wilkerson if those are my choices. However, our choices are thin at the moment.

Well, to be honest I think you and others are wanting him to be designated right now, but I don’t think that’s necessary or advisable. I would prefer to keep Wilkerson( Who is already playing almost every day anyway) over Villar. When Villar Is on he’s quite good, but he’s so maddeningly careless at times you just want to bang your head on the wall.

Yes, no one wanted Mancini or Givens either, for good reasons. It doesn’t hurt to keep them. Doesn’t hurt to keep Villar either, except that he’s too expensive. 

20 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well, to be honest I think you and others are wanting him to be designated right now, but I don’t think that’s necessary or advisable. I would prefer to keep Wilkerson( Who is already playing almost every day anyway) over Villar. When Villar Is on he’s quite good, but he’s so maddeningly careless at times you just want to bang your head on the wall.

Yes, no one wanted Mancini or Givens either, for good reasons. It doesn’t hurt to keep them. Doesn’t hurt to keep Villar either, except that he’s too expensive. 

I’m not sure what Wilkerson has to do with Villar? 

Wilkerson isn’t viewed by the team as an IF anymore and has been below replacement level in the majors. I hope he’s not on the team next year but regardless of that, he has nothing to do with Villar.  

I’m fine with keeping Villar at 7 mil in arbitration.  I don’t consider that to be an overpay. Someone has to play the middle IF. 

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

No, I don't want Wilkerson DFA'd now at all. I'm just saying I would prefer not to put all my eggs in that basket and not at least try to bring back Villar on a 2-3M one year deal. If he finishes strong, I might go to four, but not much higher. Wilkerson has a place on this team. I just don't view him as a 2B/SS option to the extent that I would be ok letting Villar go. I'm not sure Wilkerson is an everyday player, but he's fine in the role he's in right now.

No problem at all with Stevie being on the team and if we have some disaster, it's nice to know he can play 2B/SS if we needed him to. I would still rather have Villar, Alberto or Martin at those positions. I think if we have Wilkerson playing the IF, then something has gone horribly wrong. I'm even ok with Nunez at third. I would rather have the same IF options going into next season because we don't have much going on depth wise there.

The entire Wall to Wall show was actually a waste of 2 hours.  It was mainly Tom Davis' exercise in who are keepers or not for 2020.  He called Adley Rutschman a keeper and said that we would have 3 MLB catchers in 2020: Sisco, Severino and Rutschman.  While Villar may not be a keeper in 2020, Roch had to play along with Tom's game.

• Thanks 1