Why did Davis go after Hyde? He was not happy.

Snutchy

27 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

But they are still throwing errors. They are not fielding errors. When firstbasemen scoop balls, they are adding value. Missing scoops can not be considered a negative when they are trying to make lemonade out of shitty throws that are rightfully ruled errors.

It bounced over the base

40 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

PS Adley Rutschman is OPS’ing .500 at Aberdeen.

BOOM!!!

I actually watched Beverly Hills 90210 at my wife’s behest so I missed all the fun. I think in retrospect I would rather have watched the Orioles get physically pummeled about the face and neck. 

I would rather watch grass grow than any show that contains a zip code.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darkhawk said:

4. And a showboaty shovel flip to Castro in the fifth.

I don't fault him for that at all. Players do that all the time especially around the bag at second base when there's not enough time to make the transfer. It's another form of bare-handing a ground ball because there's no time to catch and transfer. I don't fault him for that at all.

2 hours ago, theocean said:

He's not wrong. But I don't see how his comments are going to encourage the current players on this team to try their best when their manager is straight up saying that they aren't good enough to compete.

Straight up, the manager is the manager. He's in charge. It's completely understandable for him to be frustrated, but you don't vent publicly. Because you're the manager. You're supposed to be the leader, set the example, and be in charge.

Well hopefully Elias puts forth an effort for a change during the off season and signs pitchers that can help the team.  They don’t have to be great players just better than the mess we have now.

1 hour ago, TINSTAAPP said:

I'm on Hyde's side if he's needling Davis at every opportunity for his poor performance. I would be pissed off too if I was in his shoes and saddled with a $23 million/year player giving less than optimal effort. 

When he can only carry a 2 man bench because our pitchers can’t get anyone out.  I am sure Hyde is seeing his big league managing career as a very short thing and is frustrated.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sessh said:

I don't fault him for that at all. Players do that all the time especially around the bag at second base when there's not enough time to make the transfer. It's another form of bare-handing a ground ball because there's no time to catch and transfer. I don't fault him for that at all.

He got the out so I'm not going to go all apocalyptic on him or anything but I will add that even Mike Bordick on the radio was critical of the play. To paraphrase, he said that after so many runs had already scored that the stiff arm shovel was a high risk play and that he had enough time to use his throwing hand to make a more accurate throw. Believe he said that "as the longest tenured Oriole he should know better than to make such a high risk play." 

I don't think any one of the plays I mentioned is worth freaking out about. But the collection of plays was not a good look. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Well hopefully Elias puts forth an effort for a change during the off season and signs pitchers that can help the team.  They don’t have to be great players just better than the mess we have now.

This gameplan is all about acquiring talent.  They aren't going to spend any money to bring in guys unless they are on bargain deals and look like bounceback candidates.  Maybe 1-2 signings, a few waiver claims and that's it.  Houston had a couple years of drafting near the top to get all of the talent they needed for the main roster, and prospect capital for trades.  Wins and losses are meaningless right now.  Hyde is primarily being judged on his abilities, as well as his staff's abilities, to develop players, using information given to them in a meaningful way, and motivating them outside of wins and losses.  

We've got a long way to go, but some of the early results are looking good in the minors, and I expect the money we are not spending right now is either being banked for the future, or else being put into the development pipeline at some point along the way.