Why did Davis go after Hyde? He was not happy.

Snutchy

Where has tough guy Hyde been all year?  Hyde’s probably frustrated with the two man bench and playing a MLB game today with an OF full of guys that aren’t true OF, and Nunez at 3rd. We have a 2 man bench and Davis has to be on the team. It’s gotta be frustrating to know you’re about to send out a team that’s going to be terrible defensively. 

If Hyde was so worked up over the defense, why not start Peterson in LF, Alberto at 3rd, and Nunez at 1B?

I will say this.. I don't know what Hyde said, but if he was calling Davis out in front of the bench..that's hughley unprofessional of manager to do that to a Veteran player. 

Something Hyde has no experience with.

Not saying Davis' reaction was right but you do that stuff in managers office  after the game. Hyde chripped something to a Vet. That's disrespecting a player and the game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Where has tough guy Hyde been all year?  Hyde’s probably frustrated with the two man bench and playing a MLB game today with an OF full of guys that aren’t true OF, and Nunez at 3rd. We have a 2 man bench and Davis has to be on the team. It’s gotta be frustrating to know you’re about to send out a team that’s going to be terrible defensively. 

If Hyde was so worked up over the defense, why not start Peterson in LF, Alberto at 3rd, and Nunez at 1B?

Cuz he's a rookie manager who knows he's gone. He is a short term solution. We were gonna be bad, but this bad? Some of his choices are head scratchers.

1 hour ago, BradyBunch said:

I will say this.. I don't know what Hyde said, but if he was calling Davis out in front of the bench..that's hughley unprofessional of manager to do that to a Veteran player. 

Something Hyde has no experience with.

Not saying Davis' reaction was right but you do that stuff in managers office  after the game. Hyde chripped something to a Vet. That's disrespecting a player and the game.

I’m not blindly sold on Hyde. Criticizing Davis feels like an appeasing the fanbase type move. A move to take the heat off him. Maybe to change the narrative a bit of why the heck did he(the MANAGER) allow DJ Stewart to stay in the game after taking a ball off the head?

i don’t know if it was that well thought out, but what will everyone be talking about today?

Edited by sportsfan8703

If the Orioles want to get out of the contract they need a confrontation like this to happen with a manager or other players. There have been times when the cameraman showed player looks in the dugout after some of these plays at 1B and some of these at bats where he never swings.  I can think of at least three at bats recently where he batted and never swung the bat. Standing and looking at three strikes. Balls down the center of the plate. As if he was Dazed and Confused. There have been comments about that by our TV guys and radio guys. Comments like he never swung his bat during the entire at bat.  You need to have a plan when you go to bat they say.  How do you not swing once? I believe I have read every comment on here so far and I have not  seen anyone speculate if Hyde deliberately did this to get Davis to do something dumb. Then I wondered if Davis was looking for a reason to go back to Texas the rest of the season and did this hoping for a suspension. 

I played 1B when I played and was a lot younger and I was always told to get down and block a low throw like catchers do if it is going to bounce and obviously to run after the ball if it gets past you, I didn't see the play where they say he walked after a ball that got past him. I did see the replay of the ball that landed in the 2nd row and wondered where CD was. Is his vision worse than we think? We see players every day tumbling into the seats to make great catches on similar plays. I don't think he would have fallen into the seats if he tried to make that catch.  There is a lot going on here. Davis probably wants out and Hyde wants him out but can't find a way to make it happen unless as I speculated above CD does something that results in a suspension, If the Orioles suspend him for several games does he still get paid and will the Union object and ask him to appeal it? I believe he is making $142,000 per game, A 10 game suspension would save the Orioles almost 1.4 million dollars if the player doesn't get paid during a suspension. Elias has probably already contacted ownership about all of the above and been told how to handle this problem. What if Trumbo and Long did not grab Davis and he got to Hyde and struck him.  What would the penalty be for him?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m not blindly sold on Hyde. Criticizing Davis feels like an appeasing the fanbase type move. A move to take the heat off him. Maybe to change the narrative a bit of why the heck did he(the MANAGER) allow DJ Stewart to stay in the game after taking a ball off the head?

i don’t know if it was that well thought out, but what will everyone be talking about today?

Hyde was a stop gap. Kinda like all the managers we had as we "rebuilt " and the Buck came in.  Sadly, all Hyde has cheap ploys, not his fault, but its obvious why we have him. No experienced Managers would take the job cause it's a rebuild. He obviously has a disconnect in developing guys in majors. He talked a good game to Elias, but his inexperience shows. 

Oh, everyone will talk about Davis "losing" his mind. But you ever see Davis do it in Texas (majors or minors) or with Baltimore until Hyde? Davis struggled quietly. Prolly was addressed after games for mistakes by Buck. So a guy (manager) who played a total of 200 games in the minors calling him out in the dugout was too far.  I get it. You do it in the manager's office. Not in the dugout.

16 minutes ago, section18 said:

If the Orioles want to get out of the contract they need a confrontation like this to happen with a manager or other players. There have been times when the cameraman showed player looks in the dugout after some of these plays at 1B and some of these at bats where he never swings.  I can think of at least three at bats recently where he batted and never swung the bat. Standing and looking at three strikes. Balls down the center of the plate. As if he was Dazed and Confused. There have been comments about that by our TV guys and radio guys. Comments like he never swung his bat during the entire at bat.  You need to have a plan when you go to bat they say.  How do you not swing once? I believe I have read every comment on here so far and I have not  seen anyone speculate if Hyde deliberately did this to get Davis to do something dumb. Then I wondered if Davis was looking for a reason to go back to Texas the rest of the season and did this hoping for a suspension. 

I played 1B when I played and was a lot younger and I was always told to get down and block a low throw like catchers do if it is going to bounce and obviously to run after the ball if it gets past you, I didn't see the play where they say he walked after a ball that got past him. I did see the replay of the ball that landed in the 2nd row and wondered where CD was. Is his vision worse than we think? We see players every day tumbling into the seats to make great catches on similar plays. I don't think he would have fallen into the seats if he tried to make that catch.  There is a lot going on here. Davis probably wants out and Hyde wants him out but can't find a way to make it happen unless as I speculated above CD does something that results in a suspension, If the Orioles suspend him for several games does he still get paid and will the Union object and ask him to appeal it? I believe he is making $142,000 per game, A 10 game suspension would save the Orioles almost 1.4 million dollars if the player doesn't get paid during a suspension. Elias has probably already contacted ownership about all of the above and been told how to handle this problem. What if Trumbo and Long did not grab Davis and he got to Hyde and struck him.  What would the penalty be for him?

Davis gets paid either way. MLB contracts are ironclad. We have no idea what Hyde said. But we watched Davis for almost 10 years now..he's never had a reaction like that..my guess is Hyde crossed a line.

5 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Someone referred to Davis’ lack of effort on a foul ball? What inning was that. I’ve seen the other plays, which doesn’t look like much to be bothered about.

Who was hitting for the Yankees on the foul ball?

Can anyone help with this? I remember the play, I was watching with my 9 year old and he said, "Why didn't Chris go for that, it was barely in the first row!" It was early in the game, I want to say 2nd or 3rd inning.