Who's your pick to surprise in 2020?

Greg Pappas

In the minors this year, Michael Baumann has really surprised with his play. He was a guy with a lot of talent, but just never seemed to find it... until this year.
Adam Stauffer seemed to come out of nowhere to have a very fine season thus far.
Looking at them, it got me to thinking who we might predict to be the big surprise(s) in our system next year. It can be anyone. It doesn't have to be someone outside the Top 10, as long as there is a reason it would be a surprise.
So, who ya got?

Jake Zebron. Based on what I’ve read, he can touch the mid-90s. If I remember correctly, @Luke-OH said that he at least had the makings of a solid curveball. I’m hoping the velocity ticks up so he sits around the mid-90s and the secondaries improve. I loved the video I’ve seen and think there’s something in there.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sydnor said:

Jake Zebron. Based on what I’ve read, he can touch the mid-90s. If I remember correctly, @Luke-OH said that he at least had the makings of a solid curveball. I’m hoping the velocity ticks up so he sits around the mid-90s and the secondaries improve. I loved the video I’ve seen and think there’s something in there.

Was hoping he would be in Aberdeen this year and could push for a spot in Delmarva in 2020. A little surprised that they have been so cautious with him.

6 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

Very nice pick. 

42 minutes ago, joelala said:

Jean Carlos Encarnacion.

A guy can dream, right?

True. :) Speaking of dreaming, I'll go with Toby Welk. He's off to a great start after being taken in the 21st round out of a small DIII school (Penn State Berks), but I'm not expecting him to be in our Top 30 prospect rankings at the end of the season. Yet, I think this young man will continue to hit and push his way up to Frederick (or even higher if he's really killing it) at some point in 2020. 

• Upvote 2

I thought a lot about Rob Neustrom, but I am going with Zach Watson. Speed and defense are outstanding, and he grinds. Hope he makes some strength gains in the off season. He’ll obviously need more contact, and better discipline, but the tools are there to have some impact. 

Interestingly, there could be a few guys from the DSL teams that could create a lot of buzz next year as well. 

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

True. :) Speaking of dreaming, I'll go with Toby Welk. He's off to a great start after being taken in the 21st round out of a small DIII school (Penn State Berks), but I'm not expecting him to be in our Top 30 prospect rankings at the end of the season. Yet, I think this young man will continue to hit and push his way up to Frederick (or even higher if he's really killing it) at some point in 2020. 

Really has a chance to be a great story. Nice pick!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Welk is hitting .350 in Aberdeen.  Would it really be a surprise if he pushes his way up to Frederick next year?  I wouldn't be surprised if he started at Frederick.

Reyes to Bowie finally, but would they jump him over Encarnacion?

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Welk is hitting .350 in Aberdeen.  Would it really be a surprise if he pushes his way up to Frederick next year?  I wouldn't be surprised if he started at Frederick.

Jesus, you're right, I meant Bowie. In my mind I was thinking he'll start out at Delmarva next year for a month or so, get moved to Frederick and hit Bowie by late July if all goes very well. If he's still hitting very well at Bowie... one never knows. For a 21st rounder to play very well at Frederick in his first full season would be impressive, but Bowie?... exceptional. I think Rutschman will probably run a similar course, but he's expected to do so, where Welk doing the same would qualify as a very nice surprise, even with his play thus far at Aberdeen.  Thanks for noting my mistake.

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'll go with Shayne Fontana.  Can play CF, shows speed, a little pop, good contact skills.  Also has good size.  Listed st 6'2" 195.  Not your typical little speedster.  Not lighting it up at Aberdeen but looking solid out of the leadoff spot.  Should start at Delmarva as long as some of Stowers, Watson, and Rizer can make the jump to Frederick.

1B is a big bouceback year from Cedric Mullins next year.

That would be awesome. We could REALLY use a solid CF.

Ryan Conroy is just a bit down Luke's list because he's mostly a 2 pitch guy and the velocity isn't elite, but I love what he's been doing. He could be a pick to click. Who knows, maybe he'll get a feel for a third pitch and get another tick or two on the FB. 

• Upvote 1