Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

22 hours ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Andrew Luck did it. 

There's a big difference between a crappy baseball player and a guy wanting to leave a violent sport where he has already had life-changing injuries. I don't think the two can be compared at all.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, weams said:

Ah. Which guys hired him? Certainly we all know it was Peter who is no longer a functioning component of the team in any manner. 

Every report I've read said this was Peter Angelos personally doing the negotiating with Davis and his agent.   Behind the scenes, I doubt that Duquette supported it, with maybe Buck and/or Brady in support of a deal, but that's an assumption on my part, with no reports either way.   We do know Adam Jones was very vocal about it.

Jones, who has already said that he expects to talk to managing partner Peter Angelos this offseason about improving the 2016 club, said he believes most of the Orioles' pending free agents would come back if the right offers are made.

"Guys love it here in Baltimore. It's a great place to play. I know they all like being here," said Jones, who is signed through 2018. "But it's not all about all that. At the end of the day, you have to know that the franchise is going in the right direction, especially if you are going to commit four, five, six years of your life. … So I just want to see how the front office goes about it this offseason and how the players respond to the front office coming at them. Let's see what can be done."

One good thing about having a lot of free agents, Jones added, is that it should free up the club's payroll to spend on the players the organization believes can win a title.

"It's going to be exciting to see what goes on this offseason because I know when you have a lot of free agents that means you have a lot of money to spend," Jones said. "And so, hopefully, I can influence some officials to spend a little bit of that money."

Balt. Sun, Sept 30, 2015 https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp-orioles-main-0930-20150929-story.html#nt=instory-link

"I love playing with him. He plays a hell of a first base," Jones said of Davis. "I've grown to admire the way he goes about his business and obviously, the production, that's just icing on the cake. To me, I think he's probably the highest priority, but he's earned himself a right to go and hear all 29 other offers."

Balt. Sun, Oct 1, 2015  https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp-orioles-jones-davis-1001-20151001-story.html

43 minutes ago, theocean said:

There's a big difference between a crappy baseball player and a guy wanting to leave a violent sport where he has already had life-changing injuries. I don't think the two can be compared at all.

That is obvious.  And Luck is not losing any salary. 

20 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Every report I've read said this was Peter Angelos personally doing the negotiating with Davis and his agent.   Behind the scenes, I doubt that Duquette supported it, with maybe Buck and/or Brady in support of a deal, but that's an assumption on my part, with no reports either way.   We do know Adam Jones was very vocal about it.

Balt. Sun, Sept 30, 2015 https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp-orioles-main-0930-20150929-story.html#nt=instory-link

Balt. Sun, Oct 1, 2015  https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp-orioles-jones-davis-1001-20151001-story.html

So Jones really WAS the pimp?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Why? He’s made 97 million. As for CD I wish he would retire. He got millions already.

He wants millions more.  You have guys who have $45 billion buying off congressmen and senators so they can make more.   If money is your motivator in life you can never have enough. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Everyone acknowledges the O's made a mistake. Some of us are holding out hope that Davis will, of his own prerogative, get tired of playing and seek a buyout/retirement package. Obviously he does not have Luck's history of severe injuries but I could see a point where it would not be worth it to me to continue playing.

Personally, I'd rather the Orioles take the blow and pay for their mistake. I'd rather they not get bailed out.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I'm of the same unsubstantiated mindset. 

Also, no offense intended to Adam Jones, but he's a 34 year old man who still watches wrestling and who's tweets I have to read ten times just to try and comprehend. Great player, but I sure hope ownership wasn't truly swayed to sign Davis because of his opinion. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

That is obvious.  And Luck is not losing any salary. 

Uh, he's losing $58 million

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/08/25/andrew-luck-salary-what-colts-quarterback-giving-up-retiring/2112582001/

What he's not losing was the signing bonus.  The Colts did him a solid by not demanding that back.   Of course with the NFL salary floor, the money has to be spent somehow. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GuidoSarducci said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/08/25/andrew-luck-salary-what-colts-quarterback-giving-up-retiring/2112582001/

What he's not losing was the signing bonus.  The Colts did him a solid by not demanding that back.   Of course with the NFL salary floor, the money has to be spent somehow. 

I wonder, if he has some insurance to recop some of that loss?

BTW, Jim Irsay says Luck is walking away from 500 mil.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2850994-colts-owner-jim-irsay-says-andrew-luck-is-giving-up-nearly-500m-by-retiring

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, weams said:

Ah. Which guys hired him? Certainly we all know it was Peter who is no longer a functioning component of the team in any manner. 

That's an easy deflection.  Just let it lay in Dad's lap.  Perhaps the sons don't want to insult their father.  Who knows?  Ok, I can respect that, yet CD trotting out on the field everyday is a constant reminder of the error AND of the old "meddling" and old "way" Peter used to do things.  CD is a contradiction to the press conference the brothers held with Elias.

3 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

...me too given that DD traded for Trumbo about a month before the Orioles upped their own offer on CD to sign him.  I believe the Sun or Washington Post has an article where Dan states that Trumbo is a player that could fill the power void on the team in the event CD were to sign with another team.  I forget the actual timing or the line in the paper, but the Davis signing was looked at as surprising after the Trumbo trade.

Edited by drjohnnyfeva

2 minutes ago, mrpennybags said:

Are the Os allowed to make a deal with CD where he agrees to retire but they still pay him a percentage of what he's owed on his contract? It feels like there has to be some sort of deal to work out but I'm not the rules/union would allow it.

Union can't stop a buyout.

I wonder if Davis' camp approach ownership with a buyout if they could even get in the door?  I could see the old man refusing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I am sure atomic will be here any moment recanting his comment and apologizing for the error.   

I do however agree that (Luck vs Davis) are completely different situations.   

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Union can't stop a buyout.

I wonder if Davis' camp approach ownership with a buyout if they could even get in the door?  I could see the old man refusing.

"The old man" isn't running the business; the sons are.   What would be the point of refusing such a meeting?   Is it the hope that Davis voluntarily calls it quits?   Are the sons too stubborn to know when to cut their losses?  Davis wasn't blocking anyone from the roster this season, even in a rebuild year.  They held hope last year was an aberration.  It wasn't.   Neither side can save face after this.

7 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

"The old man" isn't running the business; the sons are.   What would be the point of refusing such a meeting?   Is it the hope that Davis voluntarily calls it quits?   Are the sons too stubborn to know when to cut their losses?  Davis wasn't blocking anyone from the roster this season, even in a rebuild year.  They held hope last year was an aberration.  It wasn't.   Neither side can save face after this.

Apparently.  I'm just curious how far it extends. 

For him to still be on the roster shows they are already unreasonable.