Cost Cutting Measures

weams

I'm going to go on record at this point (with the MASN lawsuit defeat and the extraordinary financial implications of it and the eventual change in ownership secession) to state that everything will again be perceived as cheapness.

Cheapness is a building block of any real rebuild. 

But every cost saving move is not something to rail about. These moves are in the model rebuild that we bought. And it will be a good four years until the benefits are revealed properly. 

Don't expect expenditures as we have been used to. We entered the Matrix. Who knows what it will do to us all. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, weams said:

Don't expect expenditures as we have been used to. We entered the Matrix. Who knows what it will do to us all. 

Now we know the plot of the upcoming 4th Matrix movie.  Thanks

Call it cost saving (that's the blue pill), but it's still about deliberate tanking (the red pill) in order to rebuild the farm system.   We already had the half-measures method from 1998-2011, plugging in holes in a failed attempt to be competitive.

0f756a10e0893bc2454f59af4fc223b6.gif

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Out of curiosity, what’s the consensus on next year’s top draft picks? Is there someone who stands head and shoulders above the rest that we have to hope we can get if we sink below Detroit, or are there several frontrunners? 

I haven't heard it's a clear-cut #1.  And I've heard it's a deeper, better  draft for college pitching than this year's was.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I recall hearing some draft experts stating that this year's draft had the worst top line college pitchers prospects of any draft they have analyzed. 

There weren't any college pitchers in the 2019 draft who had a combination of premium stuff, track record of performance, and desirable build/mechanics. 

My favorite pitcher in the 2019 draft was Seth Johnson who had the first and third in spades but none of the second.

2 minutes ago, dmvsports410 said:

Emerson Hancock is the best pitcher is next years class, and Spencer Torklinson (spelling lol?) is the best bat I think. 

Torkelson is the best bat, but might not be the best position player. Hancock is the prohibitive favorite for best pitcher, but there are a bunch of big arms that could make a push for that spot. 

3 hours ago, weams said:

I'm going to go on record at this point (with the MASN lawsuit defeat and the extraordinary financial implications of it and the eventual change in ownership secession) to state that everything will again be perceived as cheapness.

Cheapness is a building block of any real rebuild. 

But every cost saving move is not something to rail about. These moves are in the model rebuild that we bought. And it will be a good four years until the benefits are revealed properly. 

Did something happen recently with the MASN thing? 

11 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Torkelson is the best bat, but might not be the best position player. Hancock is the prohibitive favorite for best pitcher, but there are a bunch of big arms that could make a push for that spot. 

Yeah, I like Austin Martin for a position player. Can play multiple spots and the bat is solid, he barrels a lot of balls and projects well for power.

The lefty, Lacy, looks like a good pick for pitchers. A little mechanical, but also deceptive.

https://2080baseball.com/draft-prospect-video/asa-lacy/

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yeah, I like Austin Martin for a position player. Can play multiple spots and the bat is solid, he barrels a lot of balls and projects well for power.

That's my dude too, I'd like him to play an average SS next spring and lock up 1-1. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

So 100 million per season? Sorry I don't buy the Sun. 

Im sick of hearing about the poor Orioles and the cost cutting BS.

I know you don't sign free agents at this point but the payroll is low enough.