What did Bleier do?

AceKing

He came back from a tough surgery.  There seems to be a hint of the ol' Bleier in him, but he's struggled overall no doubt.  My question is "what is the track record of other pitchers who have had the same injury?"  Did they need a year to get back into a groove?  Was there an obvious drop in all of their performances?

If others have fully recovered from the surgery and put up good numbers, I say we bring him back to Spring Training and see what happens.  If he can get back to getting ground balls and get an ERA closer to 3, he could be trade bait next year.  Tender him a contract, he can still be cut before the end of ST right?

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

He came back from a tough surgery.  There seems to be a hint of the ol' Bleier in him, but he's struggled overall no doubt.  My question is "what is the track record of other pitchers who have had the same injury?"  Did they need a year to get back into a groove?  Was there an obvious drop in all of their performances?

If others have fully recovered from the surgery and put up good numbers, I say we bring him back to Spring Training and see what happens.  If he can get back to getting ground balls and get an ERA closer to 3, he could be trade bait next year.  Tender him a contract, he can still be cut before the end of ST right?

+1. I don't know why people are in a rush to discount 2+ years of good numbers as small sample size and then nontender him based on one bad year. I would hope they can agree to terms without arb but if forced I could think of worse uses of $1M. Unless he is a disruptive hothead in the clubhouse, that is.

On 8/29/2019 at 3:41 AM, LA2 said:

That's one problematic consequence of the Hyde/Davis altercation: When he verbally provoked Davis--intentionally or not--it gave him less authority or cred in resolving other player/coach spats. A bit different from the atmosphere in Buck's and John Russell's dugout. Probably also helped to have people like Adam and Schoop around.

Veteran managers like Buck have earned their players respect, for the most part.

Hyde being new to the position is still earning his mojo with his guys.

I also think Buck would have taken Flores to task behind closed doors, but thats not saying Hyde didn't.

Buck did say on a few occassions, he understoods players and when they get frustrated 'in the moment', thats not condoning it, just understanding the raw emotion behind it.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Veteran managers like Buck have earned their players respect, for the most part.

I also think Buck would have taken Flores to task behind closed doors, but thats not saying Hyde didn't.

Buck did say on a few occassions, he understoods players and when they get frustrated 'in the moment', thats not condoning it, just understanding the raw emotion behind it.

I used to think it was weird how poker-faced and stoical Russell was, but now I see how useful it was. Buck's perch, how consistently closely he was observing and thinking about the game, was also to his credit. Always there in the same place to greet players returning to the dugout (even Mark The Sheriff--or was it The Deputy?-- Reynolds!) without missing a beat on the field. Too bad it changed and had to end.

4 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I used to think it was weird how poker-faced and stoical Russell was, but now I see how useful it was. Buck's perch, how consistently closely he was observing and thinking about the game, was also to his credit. Always there in the same place to greet players returning to the dugout (even Mark The Sheriff--or was it The Deputy?-- Reynolds!) without missing a beat on the field. Too bad it changed and had to end.

It was a great ride, while it lasted.

Mark was the Sheriff, and some people called Davis the Deputy,

On 8/29/2019 at 9:00 AM, DirtyBird said:

I'm down with getting rid of Flores and Davis.

I'd be willing to sacrifice Flores to remove Davis. Sure. I mean we are not talking a fight with Hanser Alberto here. It's just Dick Blier. OR the Ghost of Dick Bleier. 

3 hours ago, ScGO's said:

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

+1. I don't know why people are in a rush to discount 2+ years of good numbers as small sample size and then nontender him based on one bad year. I would hope they can agree to terms without arb but if forced I could think of worse uses of $1M. Unless he is a disruptive hothead in the clubhouse, that is.

This is basically the question, right? Do we think his performance would be worth paying him a little more cash early so we could get a trade return? There's also the question, raised by Tony, of who else would be blocked, or potentially lost if we're talking about the 40-man roster, by Bleier taking a roster spot? Does it make sense to keep Bleier if it means losing a guy like McKenna or Sedlock? That answer is almost certainly no, but I don't know if we'd actually lose whichever guy doesn't make our 40 man roster because we kept Bleier.

Roch gives us the party line (which I actually think is the right line):

The Orioles will try to end their streak at two unfortunate and public displays of dugout aggression. Episodes that upset the organization because they aren’t a true indicator of the chemistry and unity that’s developed over the course of the season.

This isn’t a dysfunctional group. I’ve been around teams that deserved the label. Not this one.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/08/thoughts-on-nunez-series-at-the-trop-and-bleierflores.html

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I don’t get it? Seems like Flores is the bad guy to some. But since when is it okay for a player to bad mouth a coach? Davis couldn’t make the play. Flores gets fussed at by the pitcher because he positioned Davis in an area where Davis couldn’t make the play? 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Roch gives us the party line (which I actually think is the right line):

The Orioles will try to end their streak at two unfortunate and public displays of dugout aggression. Episodes that upset the organization because they aren’t a true indicator of the chemistry and unity that’s developed over the course of the season.

This isn’t a dysfunctional group. I’ve been around teams that deserved the label. Not this one.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/08/thoughts-on-nunez-series-at-the-trop-and-bleierflores.html

And I am sure that if this team was dysfunctional ,Roch would come out and tell us.  He will only criticize when people are gone. All of a sudden the Orioles don't have as many scouts  as other teams. He used to argue with people on Twitter that the Orioles have as many as other teams.