There have been a lot of good developments this year

Frobby

24 minutes ago, atomic said:

I know how OPS is constructed,  I am not sure why you  can’t understand that Someone who has a .league average OPS at shortstop is a valuable player but the a league average OPS at DH is not valuable.  If you can understand that maybe not discussing stats should be your next move.

.726 OPS for a shortstop you keep your job

.726 OPS for a DH and you start working on you4 post career options.

Maybe someone else can explain it to you,   It seems as basic a concept as there is.  

I don’t need an explanation. If Nunez had a .726 OPS I’d agree with you. But you used his .795 OPS to support your argument. It doesn’t. His OPS is well above average. 

That said, I actually agree with you about his value. He’s not a guy I’m invested in going forward.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting back on topic, I see signs in recent weeks that Miguel Castro is figuring it out.  He has the stuff to be a back-end reliever and is still young.   The silver lining to being a non-competitive team is that you can keep giving a talented but inconsistent player like Castro chances to get better.  

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

I don’t need an explanation. If Nunez had a .726 OPS I’d agree with you. But you used his .795 OPS to support your argument. It doesn’t. His OPS is well above average. 

And, it’s average for a DH.    And an average major league DH at a vastly below average salary is an asset.    

23 hours ago, atomic said:

If he were a middle infielder that would be great but as a DH it is not.

He's certainly not a solid Kevin Millar or Jeff Conine type veteran DH, who we could have signed for $7M to shore up the team to make a run at 65 wins. 

Oh wait... out of all the years those guys were in Baltimore they were better than Núñez in exactly one of them.  And Núñez is more-or-less free and 25. 

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He's certainly not a solid Kevin Millar or Jeff Conine type veteran DH, who we could have signed for $7M to shore up the team to make a run at 65 wins. 

Oh wait... out of all the years those guys were in Baltimore they were better than Núñez in exactly one of them.  And Núñez is more-or-less free and 25. 

No way Millar would have hit the homers. He would have walked more if that's your bag for a loser team. 

8 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Getting back on topic, I see signs in recent weeks that Miguel Castro is figuring it out.  He has the stuff to be a back-end reliever and is still young.   The silver lining to being a non-competitive team is that you can keep giving a talented but inconsistent player like Castro chances to get better.  

I think we've seen this from Castro before.  I hope he's figuring it out, too.  But need to see it for an extended period of time.  

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I am not sure why you are comparing him to DHs on teams that won 65 games.  Is that our goal to have players that are as good as the worst players on 65 win teams?  Why not compare to winning teams.  Like 2014 team when we had Nelson Cruz.

Also Kevin Miller was never primary DH on Orioles.  

He has worse numbers that Pedro Alvarez had in 2016 for the team. And that was a year without a juiced baseball.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nunez, Alberto, Severino, Santander, Means et al are putting a new twist in the Ripken/Murray adage "It's good to be young and an Oriole."

It's also a positive sign of change that most of them plus VIllar are from Venezuela and the DR.

6 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Nunez, Alberto, Severino, Santander, Means et al are putting a new twist in the Ripken/Murray adage "It's good to be young and an Oriole."

It's also a positive sign of change that most of them plus VIllar are from Venezuela and the DR.

But half the guys you mention were brought in by the previous regime.So the change started under Dan?

4 hours ago, weams said:

No way Millar would have hit the homers. He would have walked more if that's your bag for a loser team. 

Say what you will, but I always felt that the most exciting play in baseball was watching to see if Kevin Millar had the speed and, most importantly, stamina to actually make it to second base on a ball hit to the gap.

Archived