There have been a lot of good developments this year

Frobby

25 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

"I don't think I can do anything. A noise comes out, and do you think I'm just going to sit down and believe what somebody I don't know comes off saying? That came out (in) 2009 about (what allegedly occurred in) 2003. (MLB) drug policies started in 2004. I never failed a test. I kept on banging. So, you know, the reality is that it's a noise that I think was more damaging [to some players' careers] than anything else, because a lot of guys that were pronounced [as having tested] positive for things or having been caught using things, their careers went away. Yet I am [here]. Let me tell you, there's not one player in baseball, not one player, that has been drug-tested more than David Ortiz. I guarantee you that. I never failed a test."

David Ortiz, Sports Illustrated interview 2016

I hate hijacking a perfectly good thread about all the positives but did David test positively?  Do 'roids cause anger issues?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Well, that would pretty much make the Black Sox scandal pale in comparison. I certainly hope not because that would be disastrous and would likely kill the sport as we know it,  imho. 

How disastrous would it be for a player of that magnitude to get caught cheating?  Same goes for the NFL/NBA/NHL.  No way a Brady or a James pops a positive test.

6 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I hate hijacking a perfectly good thread about all the positives but did David test positively?  Do 'roids cause anger issues?

It was said in a NY Times report in 2009 that he was named in the Mitchell report as having tested positive in 2003 before the revised drug testing policy in MLB.  He has never admitted to it. 

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't have references on hand.  I do recall hearing that players who have failed a test are subject to additional testing.

No matter what I don't think Ortiz was tested as much as Josh Hamilton.

Maybe he meant cumulatively given the length of his career versus Hamilton. 

Just now, tntoriole said:

Not as disastrous as discovery of the covering up. 

Would you rather take a big hit or risk a 5% chance of a really big hit?  I'd go with hiding the positive test.  I wouldn't be shocked to learn the system has built in mechanisms to help hide a positive.  Has a positive test leaked before the player has had his appeal?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would you rather take a big hit or risk a 5% chance of a really big hit?  I'd go with hiding the positive test.  I wouldn't be shocked to learn the system has built in mechanisms to help hide a positive.  Has a positive test leaked before the player has had his appeal?

Hey, no individual player infraction could not be spun as reflective of the integrity of the game and no player being above the game.  Not a Trout, not anybody. Arguably McGuire was as big as that then and he was taken down.  But systemically lying as a corporate entity all these years about this issue?  End of MLB. 

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Hey, no individual player infraction could not be spun as reflective of the integrity of the game and no player being above the game.  Not a Trout, not anybody. Arguably McGuire was as big as that then and he was taken down.  But systemically lying as a corporate entity all these years about this issue?  End of MLB. 

I don't think McGuire was near the level of say a Trout or Jeter.   He also admitted using after he was out of baseball, something much different than a star testing positive.  Furthermore steroids were only kinda sorta illegal when he used.

I also don't think the level of damage would be that greater.

But hey, opinions vary.

Archived