Austin Hays called up, Ryan Mountcastle not called up

MurphDogg

18 minutes ago, atomic said:

Must be really discouraging for Mountcastle to read that. If I were him I would request to be traded and not show up next year.  How is Hays ready and not him.

Hays is on the 40-man, Mountcastle isn’t.     It’s about that simple.   Oh, and I don’t really believe Elias’ reasons much.   It’s all about service time.    Elias made it pretty clear in the first quote that Mountcastle is going to start next year in the minors.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Hays is on the 40-man, Mountcastle isn’t.     It’s about that simple.   Oh, and I don’t really believe Elias’ reasons much.   It’s all about service time.    Elias made it pretty clear in the first quote that Mountcastle is going to start next year in the minors.   

Yes, he did a nice job of setting up his rationale for holding him back next spring.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mountcastle will probably be called up in May or whatever date gives the Orioles an extra year of control. Maybe he will occupy Davis' spot on the 40 man roster.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Mountcastle will probably be called up in May or whatever date gives the Orioles an extra year of control. Maybe he will occupy Davis' spot on the 40 man roster.

Mountcastle needs to be added to the 40 during the offseason.

Unless you think his defense and lack of plate discipline will keep a team from selecting him in the rule V?  ?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Mountcastle needs to be added to the 40 during the offseason.

Unless you think his defense and lack of plate discipline will keep a team from selecting him in the rule V?  ?

Ok, I wasn't sure about that and thought about the Rule V right after I made the post. Gives me a slight hope Davis might get jettisoned this October, but whatever. That's up to the Angelos brothers.

20 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

No reason for those two to even be on the team.

Trumbo spent the whole season rehabbing pretty hard and he was in the dugout with the team for a lot of the year.  He deserves to be on the team for the final month. It is probably the end of his career.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Ryan Mountcastle won’t be part of the expanded roster, as I reported earlier in the week.

“There was a lot of rationale behind it,” Elias said. “We still think he is developing. We’re thrilled with the season he had offensively. If there’s something to nitpick there it’s his plate discipline, and he knows that. He’s not a big walker and he’s still striking out a little bit. But that’s not to put a damper on what he’s done at age 22 in Triple-A.

“He’s also still doing some work on his defense and, long story short, I think he’s going to spend some more time in the minor leagues as a result of those two things. But also at the major league level here we’ve got quite a few players here that we want to provide these at-bats to in September. A guy like (Renato) Núñez or even a Mason Williams and a Santander.

“There’s just a lot of people here that we need to continue evaluating, both in terms of our short- and long-term plans. So just didn’t see the avenue to call up Ryan at this time. But he’s going to be here and he’s going to be a big part of our future at some point.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/orioles-recall-austin-hays.html

Anybody else feel that Elias is being rather rudely open about what he considers to be Mountcastle's shortcomings? Not the type of comments Duquette or Buck used to put out in the open, from what I recall.

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

Anybody else feel that Elias is being rather rudely open about what he considers to be Mountcastle's shortcomings? Not the type of comments Duquette or Buck used to put out in the open, from what I recall.

Buck publicly called Mountcastle out because of the lack of walks. Told the story about how Mountcastle laughed when challenged about lack of walks. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

Buck publicly called Mountcastle out because of the lack of walks. Told the story about how Mountcastle laughed when challenged about lack of walks. 

Yes, that's the one big example (sorry I failed to mention it), but it was late in his tenure with the O's and I don't remember any other instances. I remember the opposite: that he was pretty good about not discussing such things through the mass media. Instead of redundantly criticizing obvious screw-ups, he had a habit in the post-game pressers of bringing unexpected notice to plays that otherwise might have gone unappreciated. In doing so, he educated the journalists, readers and viewers on such points as tagging skill or being in the right position or posture on the field to do things like backing up a throw, fielding a come-backer, etc.

It got frustrating though when, on the other extreme, he would do it in lieu of praising a struggling or recognition-starved player's good performance (e.g. Kim, Arrieta). I think the principle is  that he just got bored with predictable questions and tried not to say the obvious. Sometimes that had an egalitarian effect (not just constantly praising the stars), and sometimes it was petty, but who could blame him when it was so often Hunter asking the Qs.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you think Davis and Trumbo won't get more at bats?

If Trumbo wants to play somewhere next season and is actually able to play without pain these last few weeks, they'll do him the favor of giving him playing time. I'm fine with that. The fact that Elias wants to give at-bats to Nunez, Williams, and Santander (if he's being sincere)--and probably not completely bench Mancini, Stewart, Ruiz, Hays, WIlkerson, and Smith Jr.--dictates that Davis will get far less at-bats than if he were the regular first baseman. 10 players for six positions, four of whom have played first base this season, with Davis barred from PAs vs. LHP.