Austin Hays called up, Ryan Mountcastle not called up

MurphDogg

10 hours ago, makoman said:

Maybe, but the players aren’t exactly known for fighting for the rights of those who aren’t in the union yet. Everyone in the union is already past the service time game. 

If by "aren't exactly know for.." you really mean "completely willing to trade away others' rights for their gain" I'd be a little more on board with your statement.

Both sides have at least hinted around that the service time stuff is a problem for a while, so maybe they'll do something.  But what's the fix?  I like making everyone a free agent at 28, but I doubt that has any traction.  Maybe you become a free agent seven years after you're drafted/signed, eight for high schoolers?  I don't know what might be deemed acceptable.

29 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If by "aren't exactly know for.." you really mean "completely willing to trade away others' rights for their gain" I'd be a little more on board with your statement.

Both sides have at least hinted around that the service time stuff is a problem for a while, so maybe they'll do something.  But what's the fix?  I like making everyone a free agent at 28, but I doubt that has any traction.  Maybe you become a free agent seven years after you're drafted/signed, eight for high schoolers?  I don't know what might be deemed acceptable.

A few random thoughts:

1. If a player with less than a year's service time spends at least half the major league season on the big league team, they will be credited with one year of service time. Computation of service time in subsequent years will remain the same as it is today. This should eliminate a lot of the game playing.
  2. Eliminate arbitration and make all players free agents after three years of service time. If the owners want to go young, then free agency should go young.
  3. Raise the pay of minor league players who are on major league contracts to 50% of the major league minimum. Because they deserve it.

59 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The NHL 27 or 7 for free agency is along those lines.  NHL teams only have one or two affiliates; so the long player-development process of MLB is different.  But I could see the next MLB CBA being closer to the current NHL model than the counting days of MLB's current CBA.

https://www.liveabout.com/nhl-free-agents-explained-2778995

27 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

A few random thoughts:

1. If a player with less than a year's service time spends at least half the major league season on the big league team, they will be credited with one year of service time. Computation of service time in subsequent years will remain the same as it is today. This should eliminate a lot of the game playing.
  2. Eliminate arbitration and make all players free agents after three years of service time. If the owners want to go young, then free agency should go young.
  3. Raise the pay of minor league players who are on major league contracts to 50% of the major league minimum. Because they deserve it.

There are already rules about (3).   If I recall correctly, for a team to retain a player it had the year before but keep him in the minors, they have to pay him 60% of what he earned the previous season.    

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There are already rules about (3).   If I recall correctly, for a team to retain a player it had the year before but keep him in the minors, they have to pay him 60% of what he earned the previous season.    

According to this article posted in March 2018:

• Players signing their first major league the annual minor league salary is $44,500.
    • Players signing their second major league contract the annual minor who have at least one day of major league time gets an annual salary of $88,900.

Unless that has changed, your statement is incorrect.

•  

Just now, Frobby said:

This is for players who are on the 40-man roster but have not spent time in the majors.    I’m talking about players who have spent time  on the major league roster.    

And I was talking about players who haven't. They deserve to make more money.