Would Mike Yastrzemski’s breakout have occurred if he was with the Orioles this year?

Obando

22 hours ago, weams said:

Jake was awful. Heck he was our opening day pitcher and he could not, would not, hack it with out being busted down to the level that he no longer had and support network and had to do as told to have a job. 

He was, funny how some posters recall a different dude than the one that was here.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Philip said:

Jake is gone.

The lesson we need to learn from his departure is important, but I’m not sure what it is. I just hope that the guys in charge learned it.

The lesson is that you need a 2nd AAA team.  The first one is staffed like normal, with everyone falling in line with the team's overall development philosophy.  The second one is the remedial team, where you hire guys like Mike Marshall to try out crazy stuff with players like Jake Arrieta who've been given more chances than Earl's first wife, still haven't turned the corner, and need a radical change of scenery.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The lesson is that you need a 2nd AAA team.  The first one is staffed like normal, with everyone falling in line with the team's overall development philosophy.  The second one is the remedial team, where you hire guys like Mike Marshall to try out crazy stuff with players like Jake Arrieta who've been given more chances than Earl's first wife, still haven't turned the corner, and need a radical change of scenery.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kolarad01.shtml

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2019-10-03/dodgers-adam-kolarek-playoff-debut-relief-appearance-nationals-nlds

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/10/orioles-sign-local-product-adam-kolarek.html

If only we had waited...

21 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yeah, and we can hope that the guys who are in charge now don’t need to learn the lesson

I always found in life that when I learned a lesson, it was probably no longer too relevant. There were new horizons needing conquered and new failure to experience to teach them. 

41 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yeah, and we can hope that the guys who are in charge now don’t need to learn the lesson

Every team has their Arrieta equivalent.   For the Astros it was JD Martinez.     What’s the lesson, “never be wrong in assessing your own prospects?”   “Have coaches who are able to maximize the ability of every single player?”    These are nice goals, but not fully attainable.   You just hope your correct decisions outnumber the bad ones by a significant margin.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Every team has their Arrieta equivalent.   For the Astros it was JD Martinez.     What’s the lesson, “never be wrong in assessing your own prospects?”   “Have coaches who are able to maximize the ability of every single player?”    These are nice goals, but not fully attainable.   You just hope your correct decisions outnumber the bad ones by a significant margin.   

The Astros were able to get a steal with Verlander. They saw something in the tapes, they felt could be fixed, and the Tigers were happy to send him packing, along with 20 million.

Astros might not have won the WS, if not for a fixed Verlander.

1 hour ago, weams said:

I always found in life that when I learned a lesson, it was probably no longer too relevant. There were new horizons needing conquered and new failure to experience to teach them. 

That is an excellent point, and I have learned that myself, I learn it pretty frequently as a teacher. You solve one problem you learn one lesson, only to find that other problems up here and require new solutions. However, lessons learned remains lessons learned, and help keep us from repeating history. Society has yet to learn that, but individuals can.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Every team has a player who they let go and later they went on to unexpected success.  Not too many have guys they gave away with a 7.00+ ERA who literally was the best pitcher in baseball a year later.

Arrieta was like trading away Jimmy Paredes, only to find out he was actually Paul Molitor.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Every team has a player who they let go and later they went on to unexpected success.  Not too many have guys they gave away with a 7.00+ ERA who literally was the best pitcher in baseball a year later.

Arrieta was like trading away Jimmy Paredes, only to find out he was actually Paul Molitor.

It's almost like he just listened to Scott Boras until he was almost out of baseball.