vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/24

OFFNY

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The 2014 Orioles had a legit chance of being a World Series team and to me that is enough to justify the trade. Miller turned the Orioles bullpen from very good to elite.

What was not ok was the Gerardo Parra for Zach Davies trade in 2015. 

I was for the trade then and now.  Andrew Miller was just a beast. He made me happy just watching him making hitters look stupid. 

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

God almighty, does this team not have one single pitcher who can pitch in the ninth inning without being a total geek? 

We cd have gone with Tanner for two, or yesterday Kline for two. Hyde trying everyone out. End of the season try-outs (or pre-ST auditions?).

4 minutes ago, murph said:

Him and Cruz.  But hindsight being 20/20 and all that.   

In the end, I can get can behind letting those guys go.  But only if you improve the team in other areas.  They let them go and did nothing which was a travesty.  That's not what you do when you were in shouting distance of the World Series.

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

Why your last?

No particular reason. Pretending to be a baseball player playing softball all weekend and probably won’t watch much more between tomorrow night and the weekend as well.   I do miss baseball when it ends and the OH game threads!   

Just now, O's84 said:

In the end, I can get can behind letting those guys go.  But only if you improve the team in other areas.  They let them go and did nothing which was a travesty.  That's not what you do when you were in shouting distance of the World Series.

Maybe it was a good thing? Probably a bit of a stretch but would we have Elias  and company doing what they’re doing if we had been more successful.  

51 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Boston up 8-5 after 3.   Eduardo Rodriguez has given up 5 runs in 3 innings, throwing 68 pitches.   He's got to go 2 more innings to qualify for the W, which would be his 19th if he could get it.

If he does get #19 tonight, he would be going for #20 vs the Orioles Sunday on the last day of the seaosn.

Rodriguez wound up giving up 7 runs on 113 pitches in 5 innings, but he did get through the 5th and Boston has a 12-7 lead so if they can hold that lead he'll be going for 20 Sunday against the O's.

37 minutes ago, murph said:

Maybe it was a good thing? Probably a bit of a stretch but would we have Elias  and company doing what they’re doing if we had been more successful.  

PA was getting up there and sooner or later the sons were going to take over.  Odds are the sons would have seen some of their father's shortcomings (Refusal to spend in the International market, Painstakingly slow in approving things, stepping in and signing "fan favorites" ie.  Chris Davis contract, etc.) and would have gotten someone good to fix things, maybe not as good as Elais but good (and given them much more autonomy of course).  I'd still take that hypothetical option in going for it in 2015 and not sitting on your rear, even if that meant not getting Elias.  But it can be hard to predict future.  Maybe we do that and we don't win.  Maybe the guy we hire next for rebuilding botches it.  Perhaps that's the silver lining but we'll never know.  Of course we won't care about that if Elias brings us a contender and wins the World Series.  And that's something I think we can all agree on.  

14 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

The franchises do have one thing in common, other than calling their homes north of the border ........ each of their last respective world championships was claimed in 1993.

Those damned Habs beat my beloved Los Angeles Kings in that year's Stanley Cup Finals, although my guys have since won 2 world titles in 2012 and 2014. It was great to see Marcel Dionne and company at the series-clincher against the Devils in June of 2012.

o

And Barry Melrose is still crying about it to this day.  He has never said anything nice about the Habs in 25 years.  He just smirks when he has to talk about them.

21 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

The franchises do have one thing in common, other than calling their homes north of the border ........ each of their last respective world championships was claimed in 1993.

Those damned Habs beat my beloved Los Angeles Kings in that year's Stanley Cup Finals, although my guys have since won 2 world titles in 2012 and 2014. It was great to see Marcel Dionne and company at the series-clincher against the Devils in June of 2012.

o

6 hours ago, MongoBoy said:

And Barry Melrose is still crying about it to this day. He has never said anything nice about the Habs in 25 years. He just smirks when he has to talk about them.

o

He can take some comfort in the fact that the Canadiens have not even made it back to the Stanley Cup Finals since then, let alone won a cup.

o