Palmer gets company.

weams

1 hour ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Am I the only person that is surprised Jim Palmer is among the pitchers on that list? Palmer had a very low career strikeout rate of 5.0 SO/9. I never would have thought that he would have one 12+ strikeout game in the postseason much less multiple 12+ strikeout games. 

Jim Palmer mostly did what he had to to win. He had a good fastball. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Am I the only person that is surprised Jim Palmer is among the pitchers on that list? Palmer had a very low career strikeout rate of 5.0 SO/9. I never would have thought that he would have one 12+ strikeout game in the postseason much less multiple 12+ strikeout games. 

If you watched him pitch you wouldn't be surprised. The stats never tell the whole story.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Palmer pitched to what he needed to be most effective.  If he needed Ks, he got them.  

32 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

It also helped that he had a veteran defense behind him that was pretty fab.

He knew that and that is part of why he would often just pitch to contact rather than trying to strike everybody out.  But his ability to locate was a difference maker so weak contact was a frequent outcome. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, weams said:

It's popular among the Maths crowd to dis Jim, as if he were Jack Morris.

o

Morris' 10-Inning, CG-Shutout in Game 7 of the 1991 World Series was one of the last gasps to a soon-to-be-gone era of complete games and shutouts (in both the regular season and the post-season.)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN199110270.shtml

2 years later, Curt Schilling's CG-Shutout in Game 5 of the 1993 World Series was perhaps equally as impressive, considering the circumstances ........ the Phillies' bullpen was so depleted from the previous day's 15-14 disaster that the late Jim Fregosi told Schilling before the game that there would be NO HELP FROM THE BULLPEN WHATSOEVER, regardless of the circumstances, and he meant it ........ Schilling threw 147 pitches in that game, and it was almost surreal looking at a (literally) empty Phillies bullpen in the 8th and 9th innings while the Phillies were clinging to a precarious 2-0 lead, and with his team being down 3 Games to 1 in the series overall.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PHI/PHI199310210.shtml

o

• Upvote 1

Modern day Oriole fans who never got to see the Really good Oriole teams play or see the fabulous individual performances, just from reading about them, I doubt that they realize  just how good both the teams and the individual performances were.  Stats tell the outcome, but do not have any feeling or emotions to them.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Oriole1940 said:

Modern day Oriole fans who never got to see the Really good Oriole teams play or see the fabulous individual performances, just from reading about them, I doubt that they realize  just how good both the teams and the individual performances were.  Stats tell the outcome, but do not have any feeling or emotions to them.  

Those were incredible teams. Playing a different game before the reserve clause was removed.