Dan Duquette did pretty well with July 2018 trades

wildcard

4 minutes ago, weams said:

I thought that was pretty middle of the road as far as possible returns; Pessimistic would be to tender. Pay the arbitration amount.  Then have an injury negate all value. 

Buck was explaining to one of the MASN radio guys during a pregrame show about how the popular fan opinion is to dump a player that you dont plan or are unable to resign, and at least get something. He said he understood how the fan could think that, but in the game of baseball, thats not always the best move for the team at that time. You have to balance on who would replace that person, and the ROI that the other team is giving u.

18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Buck was explaining to one of the MASN radio guys during a pregrame show about how the popular fan opinion is to dump a player that you dont plan or are unable to resign, and at least get something. He said he understood how the fan could think that, but in the game of baseball, thats not always the best move for the team at that time. You have to balance on who would replace that person, and the ROI that the other team is giving u.

Good stuff. 

50 minutes ago, weams said:

I thought that was pretty middle of the road as far as possible returns; Pessimistic would be to tender. Pay the arbitration amount.  Then have an injury negate all value. 

Any player can get injured.  Its part of the risk on doing business in the MLB.  However there is not reason to believe the Villar is injury prone.   He just played 162 games in a season.  In fact in 5 years in the majors he has never been on the DL/IL or  more than 16 days in any one season.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Any player can get injured.  Its part of the risk on doing business in the MLB.  However there is not reason to believe the Villar is injury prone.   He just played 162 games in a season.  In fact in 5 years in the majors he has never been on the DL/IL or  more than 16 days in any one season.

He had just returned from DL when traded to us. 

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Good answer but the way Baumann pitched a AA I don't see why they would leave him there.  Does he have to pitch another no hitter to get a promotion?

He just said why you would leave him there (unless Akin is promoted) - to have him in a starting rotation. It makes a heck of a lot more sense to leave Baumann in Bowie than it does to put Zimmerman in the pen. Zimmerman was called up to AAA to start last season, he got 7 starts. Some of them were pretty bad, but he also had 3 that were pretty good. 

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He just said why you would leave him there (unless Akin is promoted) - to have him in a starting rotation. It makes a heck of a lot more sense to leave Baumann in Bowie than it does to put Zimmerman in the pen. Zimmerman was called up to AAA to start last season, he got 7 starts. Some of them were pretty bad, but he also had 3 that were pretty good. 

Well its not something we are going to figure out.  Its Elias job.  Six starters and five spots is a good problem.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I think Akin starting in the O's pen/flex starter might be the most likely scenario.

From Elias' post season comments, it sounded to me like he still thought Akin needed more time in AAA to improve his K/BB issues.  Maybe I heard him wrong, but Baltimore's pen or rotations to start the season seemed unlikely.

3 hours ago, Aglets said:

Every year that Dan and Buck were here the Orioles were trying to compete and make the playoffs.   That's why they held onto Manny as long as possible until literally they were the worst team in baseball.

And Britton and Tillman and Schoop. They held on to Nick. They held on to Davis. They held on to everyone.