Projected Orioles 2020 Opening Day Payroll (ODP)

AZRon

28 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

I still think it's possible to get some kind of trade for Villar, even if it's underwhelming. 

Do anything possible to trade Cobb at the deadline. Pull out all stops.

Consider trading Mancini.

That's the playbook:

Rebuilding, in this case (and most), means trading veteran assets as they get expensive for young, cheap talent in the form of prospects. Prospects, by nature, are unpredictable. We don’t know how any of them are going to turn out. But the fault here, if this rebuilding process doesn’t result in a competitive team, will be fall at the hands of the scouting department that gave the recommendations as to which prospects to acquire, not at the philosophy itself.

The Astros have broken things all the way down. The mistake many teams make is to trade some valuable assets, like the Astros did with Michael Bourn and Hunter Pence, but then hold onto other assets to keep from having to field a completely uncompetitive teams, like the Astros did not do when they traded Carlos Lee and Wandy Rodriguez this past season.

https://tht.fangraphs.com/houston-astros-show-how-to-rebuild-the-right-way/

1 hour ago, Spl51 said:

Do anything possible to trade Cobb at the deadline. Pull out all stops.

We still owe Cobb $49M for 2 years of playing and 4 years of deferred payments until 2025. Impossible that someone would be stupid enough to pick him up and pay that. 

16 minutes ago, Natty said:

We still owe Cobb $49M for 2 years of playing and 4 years of deferred payments until 2025. Impossible that someone would be stupid enough to pick him up and pay that. 

Cobb still has 40m left to be paid on his contract.  You double counted the deferral in '20 and "21.

I will be very disappointed if the Orioles non-tender Villar, even at that high price tag. Not counting the deferred money, the budget is around $65M with those high arb. numbers included.

Villar is worth $10M. Trading him if you can get an okay return is a good move. Simply letting him walk because you want to save $10M on an already extremely low, noncompetitive budget is unacceptable to me. The payroll is already around the bottom of the league. Saving an extra $10M so the fans get to watch a Breyvic Valera type player bumble around the infield instead of a major leaguer is a bad move. Is there a more productive use of $10M to the team next year?

On 10/9/2019 at 7:57 PM, Can_of_corn said:

47M  ?

I don't think they can get to 45M with Davis and Cobb on the books.

Any deferred money coming due this year?  I think the Markakis payments are done.  How about Jones, Hardy, Ubaldo any of those getting a check in 2020?

Markakis never had any deferrals that I’ve heard of.   But we have to escrow money for Davis every year.    

7 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

I will be very disappointed if the Orioles non-tender Villar, even at that high price tag. Not counting the deferred money, the budget is around $65M with those high arb. numbers included.

Villar is worth $10M. Trading him if you can get an okay return is a good move. Simply letting him walk because you want to save $10M on an already extremely low, noncompetitive budget is unacceptable to me. The payroll is already around the bottom of the league. Saving an extra $10M so the fans get to watch a Breyvic Valera type player bumble around the infield instead of a major leaguer is a bad move. Is there a more productive use of $10M to the team next year?

According to Spotrac -- https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/cash/ --
the Orioles easily ranked 28th out of 30 in MLB "Cash" payroll spent in 2019 and
the current projection in the opening post (all else being equal) would place them in the same spot in the rankings.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

O'Day, Trumbo and Cashner all have 2020 money coming. Its not huge payroll busting money, combined 3.5 mil

Of course, that doesn't include Davis, either.

I’m pretty sure Atlanta agreed to assume the deferred payments due to O’Day.