The O's need stopgap starters

wildcard

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I wouldn't mind a dependable bullpen arm. Maybe an old guy who could be had on a 1 year deal and flipped at the deadline. Kick the tires with a spring training invite for David Hernandez?

He's old enough.  He also had an ERA over 8 last year so I'm not sure he qualifies as dependable.

17 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Peoples would be a great pickup and we definitely need depth. But is the consensus that Akin isn't ready? He led the International League in strikeouts this past year and his ERA (4.73) was below league average (4.90).

A starting rotation of Cobb, Means, Bundy, Akin, and Wojo seems serviceable to me. It's just the drop-off after that is enormous.

The O's used 15 starters this season.  Seven had more than 10 starts.   The O's can use all the starter depth they can find.   Cobb is a big question mark coming off hip surgery.   And if he is good he will be traded in July.  Bundy's arbritration cost will go up in 2021 so he also may be available at the deadline in July.     Akins has never pitched in the majors so we do not know how effective he will be.  And Wojo and Brooks are no sure thing.   

So signing additional starters is a necessity IMO.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I wouldn't mind a dependable bullpen arm. Maybe an old guy who could be had on a 1 year deal and flipped at the deadline. Kick the tires with a spring training invite for David Hernandez?

Remember Nate Karns and Dan Strailey?

I feel like I read the same messages every off season, and it mind numbing.

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If we sign anyone, those are the type of guys we are looking at. Pick one and hope for the best. If they don't pan out, nothing lost, nothing gained.

What we lose is the opportunity to discover someone who could actually be part of our future. Guys like Means who might have been waived or are sitting around in the minors. I would rather see someone with something to prove than some veteran that's proven to be not worth keeping on a winning baseball club. 

I just find it so dull to hear hear the lack of creative thinking when it comes to this stuff when we are supposedly trying to change our philosophy. Can't we try to acquire talent rather than just fill a roster spot for a year to eat innings?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Spl51 said:

Remember Nate Karns and Dan Strailey?

I feel like I read the same messages every off season, and it mind numbing.

David Hernandez is going to be a hard pass. He would end up being 2020's version of Dan Strailey or Chris Tillman at the end of his Orioles career. I'd rather bring back Cashman who might be able to cobble together an ERA around 4.50 to 5.00 if Elias feels the need to sign a veteran to eat up innings. 

If the OP is saying that we will likely be signing a bunch of 6 year free agent fliers and Rule 5 draft types, I definitely agree.  If it is saying we will sign any ML free agent pitchers as a stop gap, then no.  

Mexican League, Korean, etc. will be targets too for cheap pitching fliersI suspect. 

1 hour ago, Spl51 said:

What we lose is the opportunity to discover someone who could actually be part of our future. Guys like Means who might have been waived or are sitting around in the minors. I would rather see someone with something to prove than some veteran that's proven to be not worth keeping on a winning baseball club. 

I just find it so dull to hear hear the lack of creative thinking when it comes to this stuff when we are supposedly trying to change our philosophy. Can't we try to acquire talent rather than just fill a roster spot for a year to eat innings?

Who do we have that is ready right now?

Our pitching was so atrocious, we could sign a starter and 2-3 relievers without blocking anyone. I am not suggesting we do all of that but I would not mind one or two extra arms. See if any turn into something and flip for a prospect that can help us in the future.

8 hours ago, Spl51 said:

I am open to creative thinking.  So  who do you suggest?

Must make the major league minimum.    See if you can come up with better than Peoples and Rea.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

I am open to creative thinking.  So  who do you suggest?

Must make the major league minimum.    See if you can come up with better than Peoples and Rea.

Exercises like this are tough because people say we need more SP depth, then aren’t enamored by the reality of what a milb FA is. 

Means, Bundy, Cobb, Akin, Wojo sounds like a what the OD rotation should be. We likely need 5-7 more options right from jump street that can start. Are we keeping Ynoa and Brooks?  I’d like to see us add 3-4 more names at least. The problem is that we need AAA’s rotation for prospects so selling vets on the idea of pitching in AA isn’t going to go well. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Exercises like this our tough because people say we need more SP depth, then aren’t enamored by the reality of what a milb FA is. 

Means, Bundy, Cobb, Akin, Wojo sounds like a what the OD rotation should be. We likely need 5-7 more options right from jump street that can start. Are we keeping Ynoa and Brooks?  I’d like to see us add 3-4 more names at least. The problem is that we need AAA’s rotation for prospects so selling vets on the idea of pitching in AA isn’t going to go well. 

Its all about the money and the way Elias presents it to the pitchers he wants.   He he tells them that he has prospects at AAA that probably will spend the first half there then the AAA 6 year pitchers he wants to attractive will have 3 month to prove they can play in the majors even if they have to start at AA.   Elias can offer them a 400-555k salary to entice them to the O's organization.  

Also there are one or two open in the starting rotation and maybe three opening in the pen they can compete for in ST.

I think Akin begins the season at AAA and has to pitch well to get a promotion to the O's rotation.  That is the open spot in the rotation.   I think Brooks will be in ST competing for a spot in the majors because he pitched well the last 6 weeks of the season after he was stretched out.   I think Ynoa comes off the 40 man roster and may be offered a AAA contract to be a reliever.