Orioles trading Bundy?

Legend_Of_Joey

8 minutes ago, oriole said:

If there isn’t anything of value coming back I really don’t see the need to trade him. Someone needs to pitch here and even if he is terrible, I prefer Bundy over whatever crap Elias is going to bring around. I hate watching nobody SP who don’t belong on an MLB club pitch just because there is no one else. At least there is some kind of history to root for a guy like Bundy. 

And to be honest, if we saw anything of value coming back for Bundy I would be legitimately surprised. I expect a couple low level non prospects and that would be disheartening.

If the return is non prospects Bundy will not be traded.

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

It seems that that there’s a specific team and a specific offer involved and it has progressed enough to justify the tweet, but not far enough to justify any additional details.

Or to notify other teams that the Orioles have found a deal that they are willing to accept and if any other teams are interested in topping it, they should come forward now with a better offer.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Or to notify other teams that the Orioles have found a deal that they are willing to accept and if any other teams are interested in topping it, they should come forward now with a better offer.

That’s a possibility, but I don’t think a GM would suddenly up his offer because someone else expresses serious interest. A wise GM says”this is what I’m willing to part with” and that doesn’t change based on what someone else offers.

but there’s lots of unwise GMs out there, now and in the past, and one of them is still working on San Diego, so you may have a point.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the return is non prospects Bundy will not be traded.

I hope you’re right. I’m just having trouble imagining any team would give up anyone with actual upside to a guy who not only below average but starting the arbitration process. If they do, that’s great and I’ll be happy.

3 minutes ago, oriole said:

I hope you’re right. I’m just having trouble imagining any team would give up anyone with actual upside to a guy who not only below average but starting the arbitration process. If they do, that’s great and I’ll be happy.

He was the 54th best starter in baseball in 2019. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, oriole said:

Bundy is pitching in a band box called Camden Yards and in the AL East.   Put him in a big ball park in an easier division and he looks like a better starter.

21 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I have season tickets and prefer to watch Major League quality pitchers. Last year, Bundy and Means were the only starters that cleared that low bar (and Cashner before he was traded). If they get decent prospects in return and we end up giving guys like Akin, Wells and Kramer a chance in the rotation, I will be grudgingly ok with it. If it is a glorified salary dump I will not be pleased.

Agreed.   

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Bundy is pitching in a band box called Camden Yards and in the AL East.   Put him in a big ball park in an easier division and he looks like a better starter.

Bundy might look the part of a #3 starter if he joined Manny in San Diego. Also the defense isn't doing Bundy much favors the past few years. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Bundy might look the part of a #3 starter if he joined Manny in San Diego. Also the defense isn't doing Bundy much favors the past few years. 

I’m biased because I like him, but I swear that last year the defense behind him was worse than for any other starter on the team.    I remember one game he pitched where Dwight Smith misplayed three balls, none of which were called errors.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’m biased because I like him, but I swear that last year the defense behind him was worse than for any other starter on the team.    I remember one game he pitched where Dwight Smith misplayed three balls, none of which were called errors.    

I'm likely also biased, but it never seemed like the defense did Bundy any favors the past couple seasons. 

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

He was the 54th best starter in baseball in 2019. 

That’s surprising to me but I will trust your word on it over what I think. I just watch the games and his stats don’t look good. Anyone with an ERA over or around 5 constitutes a below average pitcher in my mind...though I’m aware I am oversimplifying. I just don’t want to see him gone for the sake of moving him. 

1 minute ago, oriole said:

That’s surprising to me but I will trust your word on it over what I think. I just watch the games and his stats don’t look good. Anyone with an ERA over or around 5 constitutes a below average pitcher in my mind...though I’m aware I am oversimplifying. I just don’t want to see him gone for the sake of moving him. 

Well, whatever you thought was an average starter ERA 5 years ago, you need to add 0.80 to that number. Even from a couple years ago, it's 0.50 higher. Add in lackluster defense and a friendly hitting environment. 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not wanting to rerail this Bundy thread.

But your point about the Redskins, needs to be into better context.

Alex Smith and Trent Williams account for 34 million of that dead cap. Yes, you could argue given that money to Cousins and he would still be playing, but you really can not account for injuries, and in Trent's case, non football injury issues.

Jordan and Davis are out because of concussions, again, injuries and that that 15 more million.

That not extreme bad or stupid. IMO

It is very unfortunate set of circumstances.

Smith nearly lost his leg before last offseason. Williams declared he would never play for us again. Reed was too risky. Davis is old and too expensive for a talentless/coachless team. Norman has never produced under Manusky. Even Kerrigan is clearly expensive and at the end. They could have and should have removed all of them and saved the $60 million in real money. They weren't unlucky. They were stupid. They didn't realize what they were. Elias seems to realize what we are.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

It seems that that there’s a specific team and a specific offer involved and it has progressed enough to justify the tweet, but not far enough to justify any additional details.

It's possible the reason for delay could be Thanksgiving.

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

Well, whatever you thought was an average starter ERA 5 years ago, you need to add 0.80 to that number. Even from a couple years ago, it's 0.50 higher. Add in lackluster defense and a friendly hitting environment. 

Let's hope whichever team Elias is talking to is also looking at these stats. Back of the baseball card it looks like Bundy is a common, replaceable arm. When you say "54th ranked SP" makes it sound like he's a valuable asset. I guess we'll see with the return. 

I'm curious which side is leaking this info. 

7 minutes ago, oriole said:

You have to compare Bundy to how the rest of the league pitched in 2019 and by that measure he was a league average starter with a 99 ERA+.  A 21 point improvement over Bundy's 2018 season. 

• Upvote 1