SI: Announcers

weams

Just now, weams said:

Gary Thorne is one of the greatest. 

Oh absolutely. I like Gary a lot and almost every call I remember from the last several years is his.

But the radio guys are awful. They have terrible voices and they talk about nothing. I remember listening to multiple games where the dominant topic was what they were eating. And another where they made a big deal about the bullpen guys going to the bathroom before possibly being called into the game. Yikes.

Not a way to grow the audience.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, weams said:

The Orioles have been quite fortunate in their iconic voices. 

There will never be another Chuck Thompson or Bill Odonell for me.  Brooks was great and so is Jim still. 

I don't see all the negativity people have for the current announcers.   I listen to a lot of the opposing announcers on Orioles games just to get a vibe of new opinions on things.  Listening to anyone 162 games a year , year after year is going to get tiresome eventually.  But most of the time I am thankful for the Orioles announcers after listening to other team's announcers.  

I do like listening to Ken Singleton when the Yankees play the Orioles because he always seems to have stories about the Orioles I hadn't heard before.   

2 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

Jon Miller was (and is) one of my favorite announcers. His voice could melt butter and I love his delivery.

Lowenstein was my favorite color announcer. I wish there were more of his games archived. 

I really like this duo as well! It was a sad day when he left for San Fran after being undervalued by the Orioles.  Brother Lowe was a great example of an explayer that really had good game knowledge and was able to express it

Chuck Thompson’s is the only voice I hear from way back on those summer afternoons with a transistor radio sitting on the picnic table in my back yard while my family eats crabs. 

He was the Orioles and the Colts.   “Unitas...Berry....touchdown” was as iconic as “Go to war, Miss Agnes!”  

His speech on being inducted into Cooperstown was as beautiful and warm as the man himself.  That he considered himself a friend to all his listeners.

He was. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Chuck Thompson’s is the only voice I hear from way back on those summer afternoons with a transistor radio sitting on the picnic table in my back yard while my family eats crabs. 

He was the Orioles and the Colts.   “Unitas...Berry....touchdown” was as iconic as “Go to war, Miss Agnes!”  

His speech on being inducted into Cooperstown was as beautiful and warm as the man himself.  That he considered himself a friend to all his listeners.

He was. 

Forgot about Chuck! He's truly was a Baltimore Icon!

13 hours ago, half hop said:

look, yes he is an entertaining and competent announcer...but his constant getting pitches and locations wrong is maddening...why can't someone take him aside and coach him on it...ugh

I have experienced the same thing and they arent his only mistakes. I think the last sentence is part of the Old Dog syndrome.

5 hours ago, tntoriole said:

He was. 

Ain't the beer cold!