Adam Jones signs 2-year deal with Orix Buffaloes

MurphDogg

On 12/9/2019 at 2:18 PM, ArtVanDelay said:

Good for Adam.  Japan is a lovely country and he's clearly no longer a major league caliber player. 

Just from a WAR standpoint, he still can hit - his defense is just ranked very poorly.

It's kind of funny - but Jones' dWAR last year was -1.0. It was also -1.0 in 2012, when he won his second gold glove. 

Go figure. Personally, I don't know how accurate the publicly-accessible defensive metrics truly are.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Just from a WAR standpoint, he still can hit - his defense is just ranked very poorly.

It's kind of funny - but Jones' dWAR last year was -1.0. It was also -1.0 in 2012, when he won his second gold glove. 

Go figure. Personally, I don't know how accurate the publicly-accessible defensive metrics truly are.

I feel pretty comfortable with the new metrics put out by Statcast.   They have Jones at +3, -7, -14 and -6 outs above average from 2016 - 2019.    He’s also gotten quite slow and his arm is nowhere near what it used to be.    His sprint speed the last 5 years has gone 28.1, 28.0, 27.1, 26.7, 26.8.    I’m sure he was considerably faster in 2012, and a much better fielder than he is now, no matter what dWAR may say.

1 hour ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

They are not accurate 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

How did you figure this? He had a 87 wRC+. RF averaged 107 in 2019. 

I'm assuming the 0.2 oWAR? That's also not actually a good number.

20 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

How did you figure this? He had a 87 wRC+. RF averaged 107 in 2019. 

I'm assuming the 0.2 oWAR? That's also not actually a good number.

His numbers in 2018 and 2019 were really similar. .313 OBP in both years. .419/.414 SLG. .732/.728 OPS. 15/16 HR.

He had 2.6 oWAR in 2018 and .2 oWAR in 2019, like you said. One of the big differences is he had fewer at-bats - which is pretty important for WAR. I think his true offensive value is somewhere between those two numbers.

I don't think Jones is a MLB-caliber starter at this point, but I think it is fair to say his bat would still play as a fourth outfielder for most teams. His problem is there's plenty of dudes cheaper than him who can match his skills at this point.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I feel pretty comfortable with the new metrics put out by Statcast.   They have Jones at +3, -7, -14 and -6 outs above average from 2016 - 2019.    He’s also gotten quite slow and his arm is nowhere near what it used to be.    His sprint speed the last 5 years has gone 28.1, 28.0, 27.1, 26.7, 26.8.    I’m sure he was considerably faster in 2012, and a much better fielder than he is now, no matter what dWAR may say.

This is off topic, but I was looking up last year's sprint speed rankings and is Ender Inciarte really as slow as Adam Jones (both at 26.8)? I guess Ender was injured most of this past season. Prior to that his sprint speed had been consistently a bit more flashy (28.0, 27.9, 27.2, 27.9).

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

This is off topic, but I was looking up last year's sprint speed rankings and is Ender Inciarte really as slow as Adam Jones (both at 26.8)? I guess Ender was injured most of this past season. Prior to that his sprint speed had been consistently a bit more flashy (28.0, 27.9, 27.2, 27.9).

Very surprising.    It must have been the injuries.   He did see a big drop in his defensive metrics from 2018.

8 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

-1 DWAR from a right fielder is actually better than -1 DWAR from a centerfielder.