Rule 5: Brandon Bailey - RHP -Astros

baltfan

6 hours ago, Woody Held said:

Neither is Dwight Smith

I would think that Hays, Santander and Mancini are the starting OFers.   Williams is the 4th OF that can play all three OF spots.   Smith is up to begin the season  and is optioned when Mountcastle is  promoted.   Wilkerson is now off the 40 man roster and is good depth for LF/RF/1B/2B/3B at AAA. 

I did get to see his 2nd inning, and thought he did a nice job after the Smith misplay put him in 2nd and 3rd one out.  He needed the SO and his put away pitch got it for the second out of the inning.

For tea leaf readers, it has to feel good to Bailey and Rucker they both got scheduled in the Sarasota opener televised back to Baltimore.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I did get to see his 2nd inning, and thought he did a nice job after the Smith misplay put him in 2nd and 3rd one out.  He needed the SO and his put away pitch got it for the second out of the inning.

For tea leaf readers, it has to feel good to Bailey and Rucker they both got scheduled in the Sarasota opener televised back to Baltimore.

Now, there's a newsflash, 'Dwight Smith misplays a ball in the OF'.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Bailey looked to be mostly 89 on the broadcast in game 2, but Meoli mentioned he was 92-93. Not sure if I just missed his higher velocity pitches, or if the gun is a little off? Can anyone confirm?

Yeah, that's interesting. I was under the impression they were using the statcast readings for the broadcast but maybe not in spring training. He was mostly 88-89 in the second inning of work on the broadcast.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Bailey looked to be mostly 89 on the broadcast in game 2, but Meoli mentioned he was 92-93. Not sure if I just missed his higher velocity pitches, or if the gun is a little off? Can anyone confirm?

No Bailey was not 92.  At least not on the same gun that had Rucker at 94.

3 hours ago, weams said:

If Bailey’s not even hitting 90, and he’s a rule 5 guy, Remind me why we pick him up? I had him in the rotation in my roster prediction, But I think I would’ve chosen somebody else if I had known that he can’t throw hard.

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

If Bailey’s not even hitting 90, and he’s a rule 5 guy, Remind me why we pick him up? I had him in the rotation in my roster prediction, But I think I would’ve chosen somebody else if I had known that he can’t throw hard.

Predictive statistics.

3 hours ago, weams said:

I went back and looked and he did hit 91 a few times. I'm reserving judgement until we see a little more of him. He certainly has a kitchen sink repertoire, and his above-average spin rate will help the lower velocity FB. 

Also ST guns are trash.

21 minutes ago, Philip said:

In this entry, Holt talked about Bailey.

“There’s a lot to like about his four-seam fastball. He spins it well, and the velocity range (91 to 94 mph, touching 96) plays just fine,” said Holt. “The changeup is really, really effective versus both bat sides. He’s refining the slider. Working for a swing-and-miss slider, something he can consistently rely on has been a part of his work. I think he would tell you the same thing. Overall, it’s a solid pitch as is. I think getting the consistency is more what it’s about instead of trying to get a better one. And in terms of the curveball, I think he’s starting to reopen the usage of that. He’s got a really solid curveball.”

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Cool article about Bailey and his Chickasaw heritage.

Bailey sounds like an interesting dude

The hyper-inquisitive Bailey has a photographic memory, is fascinated with astrology, and stuffs philosophy books behind cleats in his locker. He could recite full MLB rosters and mimic batting stances by the age of 3. He has written a pitching blog, subscribes to the famed self-help teachings of “The Secret,” can speak fluently about the principles of growth mindset, and dove into data before it became mainstream. It is an eclectic mix of interests not often found within the walls of a Major League clubhouse.

• Upvote 1