Sports Illustrated predicts the next 10 World Series winners

SteveA

20 minutes ago, SteveA said:

They aren't resting on their laurels after correctly picking the Astros about 5 years in advance of their title.

A desperate stab at remaining relevant...and they do not see the Orioles rebuild leading to a World Championship in the Roaring 20s:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/12/30/predicting-world-series-champions-next-10-years

What do you mean?  They have the O's winning in 2029.

• Haha 2

For context the writer of this article graduated from Duke University with a degree in History in 2016. And after a whopping two years of experience now she's apparently been given the green light to write somewhat comedic editorial pieces like this one. I guess it probably has something to do with the fact that they laid off half their employees in October so she literally might be one of their most tenured remaining employees. Sports Illustrated isn't worth the paper it's printed on anymore. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

For context the writer of this article graduated from Duke University with a degree in History in 2016. And after a whopping two years of experience now she's apparently been given the green light to write somewhat comedic editorial pieces like this one. I guess it probably has something to do with the fact that they laid off half their employees in October so she literally might be one of their most tenured remaining employees. Sports Illustrated isn't worth the paper it's printed on anymore. 

She's actually not a bad writer (see this piece on the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs), but it's just inconceivable to me that they would let someone in their early 20s write and editorial type piece. You have to live life before you can write about it. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/07/25/baseball-rule-changes-atlantic-league

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

They aren't resting on their laurels after correctly picking the Astros about 5 years in advance of their title.

A desperate stab at remaining relevant...and they do not see the Orioles rebuild leading to a World Championship in the Roaring 20s:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/12/30/predicting-world-series-champions-next-10-years

She failed to mention that the Orioles will be moved and become the referenced 2029 champion London Red Booths.

• Haha 1

It makes sense, I mean SI had a cool thing happen to them where they predicted the Astros to in the WS in three or four years and it happened.  So I'm assuming that's part of the reason they're producing this.

It's a fluff piece to be sure, so I'm not mad at it.  That said, I'm not sure what some of you guys really want out of big national publications...they paint with broad strokes and simply don't have the time and wherewithal to dig down deep and look at a team the way we get to.  Everyone knows Adley Rutschman but past that, would we expect anyone at SI who's a baseball generalist to know Mountcastle?  Hays?  Baumann?  Lowther?  We talk about these guys daily but no one else knows who they are.  

So I'm not surprised that no one's taking us seriously because no one at a big nationwide publication that's a baseball generalist knows this stuff.  I can't really blame them, either.

15 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It makes sense, I mean SI had a cool thing happen to them where they predicted the Astros to in the WS in three or four years and it happened.  So I'm assuming that's part of the reason they're producing this.

It's a fluff piece to be sure, so I'm not mad at it.  That said, I'm not sure what some of you guys really want out of big national publications...they paint with broad strokes and simply don't have the time and wherewithal to dig down deep and look at a team the way we get to.  Everyone knows Adley Rutschman but past that, would we expect anyone at SI who's a baseball generalist to know Mountcastle?  Hays?  Baumann?  Lowther?  We talk about these guys daily but no one else knows who they are.  

So I'm not surprised that no one's taking us seriously because no one at a big nationwide publication that's a baseball generalist knows this stuff.  I can't really blame them, either.

Last year at this time people thought that Mullins was going to be a fixture on our team for the next 6 years.  Now most people forget he exists.  Just because we can name prospects, doesn't mean they will develop into anything.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Last year at this time people thought that Mullins was going to be a fixture on our team for the next 6 years.  Now most people forget he exists.  Just because we can name prospects, doesn't mean they will develop into anything.  

The bolded statement seems quite exaggerated to me.    We certainly hoped he’d be a fixture.    I don’t know that many people were confident he would be.    But to your larger point, I agree.    We certainly don’t know that our prospects will turn into great players.     And there are a number of teams that have both a better major league team and a better minor league system than we do right now.     About 8 or 10 of them.     So it’s going to be a good long while before we know if we’ll improve enough to be a World Series contender.     

As to the article, I don’t take it as a serious attempt to predict the next 10 years.    Nobody has a crystal ball like that.    

That was painful. I guess SI figures that if getting one team wrong to win the World Series every year is good, getting 10 WS winners wrong all at once is better.

"2027: Philadelphia Phillies. Bryce Harper will still have four years left on his contract."

"So what?" to 35 year old Harper. This is the opposite of analysis: one player wins a World Series all by himself.

"2028: Montreal-Tampa Bay ExpAys" 

This will NEVER happen. A Tampa/Montreal merger with split home games is the most foolish claim in this dimwitted article. Even more stupid than a London-based team winning in 2029, an assertion that is also worthy of ridicule.

This piece devolved from prognostication to humor, with the biggest problem being that it is not funny.