Maryland vs. Ohio State

Oriole4Life

Wiggins has these flashes of athleticism. If he could just put it all together and shoot consistently. 

Ohio State doesn't strike me as a great team. It's basically the Wesson brothers and everyone else. They were missing Young, not the best game offensively from them. Credit the Terps for hustling defensively all night.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, vatech1994 said:

MD had 10 turnovers 12 minutes into the game.  5 since that point in 28 minutes..  If we can just clean up the first 10 minutes.

It's just really weird how bad this team plays for the first ten or so minutes of every game. They literally buried themselves in their two losses because of that.

4 minutes ago, vatech1994 said:

We didn’t play anywhere near our best offensive game, but good defense covers a lot of sins.  MD 67-55 over Ohio St.  Nice win...

I like the fact that we execute the plays correctly and made better decisions.  That didn't happen in our two losses.  The problem was more with sloppiness (bad handles - it looks like both teams had problems with this, maybe the balls were unusually slick) and decent shots that just didn't fall. I'm a lot more ok with this than I was with the other games where we just didn't execute our offensive plays and took horrible shots.  We have to clean up the sloppiness though.

After beating the 11th ranked team in the country rather convincingly, I'm going to focus on the positives.  Not sure I've seen a MD team give up so few easy shots - almost everything was contested well.  The team's got so many tools (in a good way) on defense - it starts with the top athlete on the team - Morsell - willing to take on anyone, then 2 elite defensive forwards in tough burly guy Scott and long athletic Wiggins, wiry yet muscular 6'10 Stix, 2 guards who can stop dribble penetration in Cowan and Ayala, and we're working in the secret weapon who might end up being the best shot-blocker in the country - Marial - I'm just asking the Wizard of Oz to buy him a new pair of hands.  See, I just couldn't go a whole post without some snark.      

37 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

After beating the 11th ranked team in the country rather convincingly, I'm going to focus on the positives.  Not sure I've seen a MD team give up so few easy shots - almost everything was contested well.  The team's got so many tools (in a good way) on defense - it starts with the top athlete on the team - Morsell - willing to take on anyone, then 2 elite defensive forwards in tough burly guy Scott and long athletic Wiggins, wiry yet muscular 6'10 Stix, 2 guards who can stop dribble penetration in Cowan and Ayala, and we're working in the secret weapon who might end up being the best shot-blocker in the country - Marial - I'm just asking the Wizard of Oz to buy him a new pair of hands.  See, I just couldn't go a whole post without some snark.      

IMO Turgeon's ability to coach defense is his biggest strength.  His teams always play excellent team defense, and they're unique in that they do so without fouling even as college refs seemingly let an absurd amount of contact go. I've almost never seen a truly bad defensive effort from a Turgeon team.  I just feel like with the new rules to speed the game up, you can't just rely on lockdown defense all the time.  You have to be able to score a little bit.