Tillman Scorching Start- 8/26

OsandBohs11

So Tony, are we going to get your report on last night?

I was going to put something together but I'm pretty busy today.

Basically, Tillman looked filthy at times last night, better than I've seen him all year. He sat most of the night at 90-92 while touching 93-94 when he wanted it. His curveball was outstanding, a true plus, plus pitch at times but he goes through stretches where he loses command of the pitch although yesterday, the ump missed a few that should have been strikes.

Scouts around me loved him. The best part is I saw him throw seven change-ups and all were for strikes including a strike out.

Next year I'd like to see him get a spring training invite, but would prefer to see him start the year at Norfolk. His fastball command was pretty good but could still be a little better. At 21-years old next year, if he does well in Triple-A, I could see him in the Orioles rotation by June or July with his current stuff.

I have a feeling if he stays healthy, the Mariners will be kicking themselves for a long time for letting Tillman go.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was going to put something together but I'm pretty busy today.

Basically, Tillman looked filthy at times last night, better than I've seen him all year. He sat most of the night at 90-92 while touching 93-94 when he wanted it. His curveball was outstanding, a true plus, plus pitch at times but he goes through stretches where he loses command of the pitch although yesterday, the ump missed a few that should have been strikes.

Scouts around me loved him. The best part is I saw him throw seven change-ups and all were for strikes including a strike out.

Next year I'd like to see him get a spring training invite, but would prefer to see him start the year at Norfolk. His fastball command was pretty good but could still be a little better. At 21-years old next year, if he does well in Triple-A, I could see him in the Orioles rotation by June or July with his current stuff.

I have a feeling if he stays healthy, the Mariners will be kicking themselves for a long time for letting Tillman go.

Tony,

Do you have enough confidence in the Minor League arms that you wouldn't sign a stud FA pitcher in the offseason? OR do you think although having a lot of promise, it is a lot to hope for 4-5 of them to all be big league starters in the next 3 years?

Thanks, Tony. That's a very encouraging report. You have to like our crop of 20-year old pitchers -- Tillman, Erbe and Britton, with Butler and Noel also on the periphery.

Yep - and with how high he is on Spoone, you have to think we've got at least one (or two) top-middle of the rotation starters waiting in the wings.

Tillman knows what he has to work on -- fastball command and maybe some more fine-tuning on his secondary stuff. Why start his service clock to confirm this? Think about Adenhart after he got called-up prematurely, lost his confidence and then fell apart back in AAA. I don't see any legitimate reason to call Tillman up this year or next year until he forces his way onto the ML team. It isn't an insult to have a 21 year old spend a year in AAA. If he is absolutely filthy (which he was and wasn't at the same time in AA this year) and you have a hole in the rotation at some point next year, then you give him a look.

I do not disagree with this though the Adenhart comp is rather one sided. Other young pitchers have come up and done fine.

Perhaps it is semantics, but the plan you posted earlier in this thread was "He could use another year or so in the minors to work on his command in the zone." That is different than what you post above.

Also, the stats posted by Frobby are a year's accumulation. As Tony notes and as the stats for the past few starts would dictate, the BB rate has improved recently along with his FB command.

Tillman is young and I do not advocate rushing him, but he is very advanced, has shown improvement over the year. He talent, stuff and maturity should dictate how fast he gets to the majors. I do not think he is as far away as has been suggested in this thread.

I do not disagree with this though the Adenhart comp is rather one sided. Other young pitchers have come up and done fine.

Perhaps it is semantics, but the plan you posted earlier in this thread was "He could use another year or so in the minors to work on his command in the zone." That is different than what you post above.

Also, the stats posted by Frobby are a year's accumulation. As Tony notes and as the stats for the past few starts would dictate, the BB rate has improved recently along with his FB command.

Tillman is young and I do not advocate rushing him, but he is very advanced, has shown improvement over the year. He talent, stuff and maturity should dictate how fast he gets to the majors. I do not think he is as far away as has been suggested in this thread.

I have a couple of thoughts. First of all, I don't care that much about his age, so long as he's ready to pitch in the majors. Jim Palmer won 15 games and a World Series game at age 20.

Second, though, I do think there are some things Tillman needs to work on. I'm not sure if his low IP/start is the result of throwing a lot of pitches per inning, or just being kept on a very low pitch count limit, but either way, I don't want him starting in the majors until it is likely that he can get into the 6th inning on a pretty regular basis at the major league level. And he can't do that, IMO, unless he's getting into the 7th inning at the minor league level on a regular basis. I also want to see his walks reduced over a fairly extended period, not just "his last few starts." I do agree that his progress on this front in the last few weeks is very encouraging.

I don't think you and I have much difference of opinion about Tillman's timetable. I want him starting next year in AAA, but how fast he makes it to the majors after that is up to him.

How is Tillman's pickoff move? How well does he field his position?

He fields his position quite well. You could say his pickoff move is around average, though it doesn't stick out. Trenton was running on him a few times last night and mostly on breaking balls.

I agree with Tony's assessment, invite him to major league camp and give him a taste of the bigs and then send him to Norfolk to start the year, and let him force the issue by how well he performs. I certainly think he may be the most attractive piece of the Bedard trade (and that's saying something with how Jones has done) but this guy has the makings of a top of the rotation starter.

Archived