Tillman Scorching Start- 8/26

OsandBohs11

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tillman has really been impressive. He could use another year or so in the minors to work on his command in the zone. ML hitters will be a little more patient and won't chase that filthy curve of his so much. I'd love to see him at Norfolk to start and call him up to the pen and for some spot starts some time next August, maybe. Break him then, and then hopefully break Arrieta in out of the pen in early 2010 and Matusz in late 2010. Matusz may be ready before Arrieta (I think his stuff is further along if with Arriet having a year's head start) but I guess that's premature since he's had the summer off :).

I do not know how long you can hold back such a successful young prospect tossing donuts in AA. He may have things to work on, but he also needs to be challenged and shown why some stuff that works at AA might not work in the minors.

Isn't he still just 19? The youngest player in AA? Not sure this is holding him back.

Isn't he still just 19? The youngest player in AA? Not sure this is holding him back.
He's 20 and was the youngest pitcher in AA. Or at least was for most of the season, not sure if someone yougner than him was promoted at some point during the year.

He's 4 months younger than Brandon Erbe.

I do not know how long you can hold back such a successful young prospect tossing donuts in AA. He may have things to work on, but he also needs to be challenged and shown why some stuff that works at AA might not work in the minors.

I guess there's something to getting a taste of ML life, but I'd prefer to have the players forcing their way onto the the ML scene. Tillman has been very good, but put it next to what Kershaw and Price did at AA this year and it isn't really close. I'd like to see more development before considering a ML promotion.

Doesn't the system have a bunch of arms that need to be decided upon, anyway? I'd want to see more of Penn/Olson/Liz and eventually Patton/Albers. If BAL really needs arms, I'd rather send Bergeson up -- he won't dominate but he'll throw strikes and you can start figuring out whether his average stuff will play at the ML level (playing-up due to command).

Archived