The Astros and Red Sox Punishments

weams

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They put up memorials for guys that only go to the hospital?  Pretty sure classy Janice was talking about killing some cheaters.  But she's a self anointed babe so I guess it's OK.

I don't think too many people slapped a literal read on that tweet.

• Upvote 1

On reddit baseball everyone seems to be of the opinion that this was a slap on the wrist and not a deterrent to anyone as any team would give up late first round picks and 5 million for a World Series victory.  Plus there are so few managerial jobs that it is worth a potential 1 season suspension to be a winner and keep your job.  

They are also aghast that it doesn’t come close to punishment the guy from the Braves got that was just overpaying 16 year olds from third world countries.

Seems the only one in the world who thinks it over punishment is Can of Corn.

Just now, atomic said:

On reddit everyone seems to be of the opinion that this was a slap on the wrist and not a deterrent to anyone as any team would give up late first round picks and 5 million for a World Series victory.  Plus there are so few managerial jobs that it is worth a potential 1 season suspension to be a winner and keep your job.  

They are also aghast that it doesn’t come close to punishment the guy from the Braves got that was just overpaying 16 year olds from third world countries.

Seems the only one in the world who thinks it over punishment is Can of Corn.

I think its a good punishment, the WS win itself will always have an asterisk next to it, and Astros fans will constantly have to defend the legitimacy of their team. 

What else would you have liked to see, Manfred dress up as Freddy Kruger and start murdering Astros players in their dreams?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheOtherRipken said:

I think its a good punishment, the WS win itself will always have an asterisk next to it, and Astros fans will constantly have to defend the legitimacy of their team. 

What else would you have liked to see, Manfred dress up as Freddy Kruger and start murdering Astros players in their dreams?

Maybe all the opposing pitchers could just bean the Astro players?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Not sure if this has been posted but this explains everything from the Commissioner in such detail that even Can of Corn would be unable to argue against it. 

https://img.mlbstatic.com/mlb-images/image/upload/mlb/cglrhmlrwwbkacty27l7.pdf

Players union or not... I don't see how MLB can reasonably fail to punish Astros players. They knew very well they were violating established rules, continued anyway, and tried to cover up the scheme after a game when they thought the scheme was discovered. From page 5 of the report:

"Most of the position players on the 2017 team either received sign information from the banging scheme or participated in the scheme by helping to decode
signs or bang on the trash can
. Many of the players who were interviewed admitted that they knew the scheme was wrong because it crossed the line from what the player believed
was fair competition and/or violated MLB rules. Players stated that if Manager A.J. Hinch told them to stop engaging in the conduct, they would have immediately stopped.

Although the Astros’ players did not attempt to hide what they were doing from Hinch or other Astros employees, they were concerned about getting caught by players
from other teams. Several players told my investigators that there was a sense of “panic” in the Astros’ dugout after White Sox pitcher Danny Farquhar appeared to notice the trash can bangs. Before the game ended, a group of Astros players removed the monitor from the wall in the tunnel and hid it in an office. For the Postseason, a portable monitor was set up on a table to replace the monitor that had been affixed to the wall near the dugout. "

3 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Suspending players or taking away the Astros' Championship or Altuve's MVP would have been chaos. The suspension makes sense to me. Luhnow and Hinch were in charge, they are ultimately responsible over their organization and players. 

Manfred put out the memo that promised harsh penalties to GM's and Managers if it continued. The punishments seem fitting compared to what happened to the Braves for their rules violation. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Nah, they told everyone that this would be taken seriously in August 2017 and to make sure that you flew straight from then on. The Astros didn't do so and are being punished. Same with the Red Sox. The teams had warning that this would be punished severely.

Good point.