Chris Davis, 2020

Frobby

Asking the wife for career advice is the kiss of death.  

The golden nugget, the glimmer of hope here is that he's THOUGHT about retiring.  It's entered his mind.  And hopefully that seed just grows and grows over the summer after each and every terrible at bat.  I think there's a decent chance (not a great chance, but a decent chance) that he doesn't finish out the year.  

Count me among those who are glad Chris didn’t quit. That’s a chump move, one that losers make. Professionals don’t run away and hide from adversity; they stand firm and conquer it. 

I commend him for sucking it up and continuing to plug away, and, as ever, I’ll be rooting like mad for him to tear it up this season.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

Count me among those who are glad Chris didn’t quit. That’s a chump move, one that losers make. Professionals don’t run away and hide from adversity; they stand firm and conquer it. 

I commend him for sucking it up and continuing to plug away, and, as ever, I’ll be rooting like mad for him to tear it up this season.

I do understand this take, however at some point he's just hurting the organization/team. 

In sucking it up, I think the consensus among most fans is that we wish he had done more than just lift weights to attempt to address his problems. There was much more he could have done/could be doing. 

28 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Asking the wife for career advice is the kiss of death.  

The golden nugget, the glimmer of hope here is that he's THOUGHT about retiring.  It's entered his mind.  And hopefully that seed just grows and grows over the summer after each and every terrible at bat.  I think there's a decent chance (not a great chance, but a decent chance) that he doesn't finish out the year.  

My thoughts exactly. So excited that he's thought about retirement. My take is that he is definitely going to retire if he has an awful year. 

20 minutes ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

How about refusing to change up your approach while being one of the worst hitters in the history of Major League Baseball. Is that a chump move? One that losers make? Just plugging away and collecting that check.

None of us started out rooting for him to fail... but he's shown himself to be disinterested at-best in his own success from where I'm sitting. Knowing when it's time to move on is a very noble endeavor... one that winners know how to execute.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

?‍♂️ Life is short and they likely already have more money than they know what to do with. I wouldn't want to spend six months a year for three years being miserable and away from my family if it had zero impact on my ability to provide for my family and didn't provide me real tangible benefits down the road. I could see Chris preferring to watch his daughters grow up and going fishing. Negotiating a buyout and walking away from some of that money could be a totally rational decision.

...and for someone with seemingly such a big ego is he not at all worried about tarnishing what little legacy he has left. He's already had arguably the worst season in baseball and when all is said and done will probably be in the discussion for the worst contract in baseball ever. That's bordering on potential Bill Buckner level heat if he stays in the area. 

39 minutes ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

I think more people would agree with this if he wasn't so highly paid. Frustration sets in for a lot of people who work hard every day and have pennies to show for it in comparison to what Davis is being paid to fail quite spectacularly - - while also being stubborn about doing something to fix it. 

Davis seems like a good guy. And his charitable donations are really commendable. But, he's going to lose in the court of public opinion as long as he keeps cashing a check that people feel he isn't earning.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

I think more people would agree with this if he wasn't so highly paid. Frustration sets in for a lot of people who work hard every day and have pennies to show for it in comparison to what Davis is being paid to fail quite spectacularly - - while also being stubborn about doing something to fix it. 

Davis seems like a good guy. And his charitable donations are really commendable. But, he's going to lose in the court of public opinion as long as he keeps cashing a check that people feel he isn't earning.

Did he seem like a good guy when he tried to "fight" the manager in the clubhouse last season? 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Did he seem like a good guy when he tried to "fight" the manager in the clubhouse last season? 

No, but in fairness, giving $1,000,000 to a children's hospital does kind of outweigh stuff like that. By all accounts he's a good guy. A somewhat delusional guy when it comes to baseball, maybe. But dugout spats happen - these are competitive athletes. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

I think the key for most plugged in fans is Davis refuses to do anything out of his comfort zone to try and fix his swing. It's likely way too late to really fix him now, but when you are paid $23M a season you don't turn down an offer from the team to analyze your swing mechanics during the off season. It creates the appearance the Davis doesn't really care, but he will keep cashing those checks. 

The cynical side of me thinks part of the motivation for the charitable contributions are to get the fans off his back. 

Just now, interloper said:

No, but in fairness, giving $1,000,000 to a children's hospital does kind of outweigh stuff like that. By all accounts he's a good guy. A somewhat delusional guy when it comes to baseball, maybe. But dugout spats happen - these are competitive athletes. 

I'm competitive, I've never been physically aggressive with a co-worker or a boss.  I don't think "these things happen" is good enough.

30 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

How about refusing to change up your approach while being one of the worst hitters in the history of Major League Baseball. Is that a chump move? One that losers make? Just plugging away and collecting that check.

None of us started out rooting for him to fail... but he's shown himself to be disinterested at-best in his own success from where I'm sitting. Knowing when it's time to move on is a very noble endeavor... one that winners know how to execute.

You it the nail in the head. Just showing up isn't enough and there have been several instances of others calling him out on not putting in the time. And now I hear that he's spent all his off season in the weight room? How exactly is that going to help him make contact? Or stop from swinging at pitches out of the zone? Or to not get caught looking at more called third strikes then he'd care to admit?

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

It really doesn't. It's pretty easy to write a hefty check when you make as much as he does. It's a tax write off. It's much harder to not be a d-bag when the camera's on you if that's who you really are. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm competitive, I've never been physically aggressive with a co-worker or a boss.  I don't think "these things happen" is good enough.

I'm not sure I've ever even raised my voice to someone in the work place. Even that seems wildly inappropriate to me in a corporate setting.