Guess the 26-man opening roster

Tony-OH

Just for fun, let's see who before the first spring training game can guess the 26-man final roster. Now the chances are somebody may not even be in camp yet, but let's see what you got. No more guesses after Friday. You get one point for every player you get right. I'm going to go but will wait until Friday so not to influence anyone. If we have Hangout nights this year, whoever comes in first gets two free tickets to one of the games.

• Upvote 3

Infield (7)
Davis, Alberto, Iglesias, Ruiz, Nunez, Urena, Urias

Outfield (5)
Mancini, Hays, Santander, Williams, Mountcastle

Catchers (2)
Severino, Sisco

Starting pitchers (5)
Cobb, Means, Wojciechowski, Milone, Bailey

Relief pitchers (7)
Givens, Harvey, Bleier, Castro, Armstrong, Hess, Sulser

• Upvote 1

@interloper Nice list. Will probably post mine closer to Friday.

My observations: Select Tommy Milone and Mason Williams, Return Michael Rucker to the Cubs, and Cut Wade LeBlanc. Cole Sulser and David Hess have pretty good springs. Richard Bleier, Tommy Milone, and John Means are the only lefties because Scott, Fry, and LeBlanc don't make the team.

7 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

@interloper Nice list. Will probably post mine closer to Friday.

My observations: Select Tommy Milone and Mason Williams, Return Michael Rucker to the Cubs, and Cut Wade LeBlanc. Cole Sulser and David Hess have pretty good springs. Richard Bleier, Tommy Milone, and John Means are the only lefties because Scott, Fry, and LeBlanc don't make the team.

Yeah, pretty much. I think the O's pull a fast one on us and Mountcastle makes the team out of camp despite assumptions that Elias will manipulate service time (he very well could, just having some fun guessing). Hess they transition to the bullpen as a guy who can give them long relief innings. Scott I think they just don't have a problem optioning if he's not showing anything different. Fry I predict just kind of loses it sort of like McFarland/Hart did. 

Two UIF make the team in Urena (out of options) and Urias (gets a look while the team sees what Martin does at AAA). I'm unclear if the 26th man straight up cannot be a pitcher, or if it can as long as the max amount of pitchers is 13. 

I think DSJr gets pushed out with Mountcastle. 

Sisco shows good adjustments and makes the team, with none of the veteran catchers cracking the roster. One of them goes to AAA. 

LeBlanc gets hammered all spring. Lol. 

I'll take a crack at it.  This is assuming Mountcastle starts in the minors and Stewart is not ready to start the regular season due to injury.

Infield (6):

Davis, Iglesias, Alberto, Ruiz, Nunez, Ureña

Catchers (2):

Sisco, Severino

Outfielders (5) :

Hays, Mancini, Santander, Smith Jr., Williams

Rotation (5):

Means, Cobb, Wojciechowski, Leblanc, Stewart 

Bullpen (8): 

Givens, Harvey, Castro, Fry, Bleier, Bailey, Milone, Shephard 

• Upvote 1

Here’s my take, based on what I think should happen. On the other hand, Mike doesn’t have me on speed dial.

C- Severino, Holaday. 
Sisco needs to analyze what’s wrong and fix it, so he goes down, maybe to learn a new position. Holaday has had modest success with the bat and hasn’t been hopeless with the glove, neither of which can be said of Sisco. 

1B: Davis( Lord ha’ mercy)
2B: Alberto
3B: Ruiz
SS: Iglesias

OF: Mancini, Hays, Santander
DH Nunez

Utility Guys: Mason Williams, Dilson Herrera, And someone not in camp. I really think Urena should have the spot: he’s bigger, younger, a switch hitter, and offers good D. And technically he’s not in camp., but if not him, than someone else not currently in camp.

SP: Means, Cobb, Wojo, Bailey, Stewart

Bullpen: Givens, Harvey, Castro, Bleier, Armstrong, Fry, Sulser, Shepherd

Nunez Backs up 3B(Shudder)
Mancini backs up DH and 1B, Urena handles middle IF duties.

Mountcastle is waiting, Smith is Gone, Stewart is injured, Wilkerson has been supplanted by better players, though we may see him this season. Williams can play all the OF so gives roster flexibility.
Milone and LeBlanc are insurance, but part of the past. Stewart is possibly part of the Future so I give him the nod. 
Sulser was dumped by Tampa because they have lots of good players, and not because he’s bad. His MiL stats are consistent, and I think except for his lousy 37%GB rate, for me, he’s the most likely Dark Horse to make the team.

With two extra spots, I gave them to Shepherd, who I thought did well enough last season to have a slight leg up on some other guys, and Rucker, because why the hell not.

edit: I forgot about the rule about a maximum 13 pitchers, which is yet another reason to despise the man who runs the game these days. So I deleted Shepherd.

gotta have a 26th man though. Urias is too much like Urena,...

edit: Well, one has been fed to the lions. So I need to adjust. Urena has been DFA-ed, so we need to rethink...

Edited by Philip
DFA

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Just for fun, let's see who before the first spring training game can guess the 26-man final roster. Now the chances are somebody may not even be in camp yet, but let's see what you got. No more guesses after Friday. You get one point for every player you get right. I'm going to go but will wait until Friday so not to influence anyone. If we have Hangout nights this year, whoever comes in first gets two free tickets to one of the games.

Are points awarded if the position is wrong? I have Mancini in LF but he might play Right.