Guess the 26-man opening roster

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

You need to DFA 5.   LeBlanc, Milone, Williams, Valaika and Holaday are not on the 40 man.

There was no shortage of guys we can get rid of, at the very least we can DFA Hess. I am unclear from looking at the roster at mlb.com who is actually on the 40 man, But if we need to dump a total of five guys, I don’t think that would be any handicap at all.

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

1B Davis  

2B Alberto

SS Iglesias

3B Ruiz

C  Severino

LF Santander

CF Hays

RF Mancini

DH Nunez

Bench -  Holaday, Velazquez, Williams, Valaika

Starters

Means

Cobb

Wojo

LeBlanc

Milone

Bullpen

Givens

Fry

Harvey

Bleier

Castro

Rucker

Armstrong

Bailey

DFA - Lakins,  Wynns, Urias, Tate

I actually think this list is 100% correct based on how things currently stand.

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

1B Davis  

2B Alberto

SS Iglesias

3B Ruiz

C  Severino

LF Santander

CF Hays

RF Mancini

DH Nunez

Starters

Means

Cobb

Wojo

LeBlanc

Milone

Bullpen

Givens

Fry

Harvey

Bleier

Castro

Rucker

Armstrong

Bailey

I think this happens

3 hours ago, interloper said:

DFAing Tate is the only part I would disagree with in your prediction. Still a lot of talent in that arm and he's pitched alright this spring. I'd go Phillips or Hess.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

There was no shortage of guys we can get rid of, at the very least we can DFA Hess. I am unclear from looking at the roster at mlb.com who is actually on the 40 man, But if we need to dump a total of five guys, I don’t think that would be any handicap at all.

Hess is the same age as Tate and has 80 innings of sub 4.00 ERA in MLB.  Tate may not have that in AAA in his career.

LeBlanc is a 35 year old pitcher with no discernable still in his pitching profile outside control.

People on this website keep telling me the Orioles shouldnt sign guys like Vargas or Scooter Gennett because they serve no purpose to a rebuilding team, but you're ready to ship Hess for LeBlanc?....

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Hess is the same age as Tate and has 80 innings of sub 4.00 ERA in MLB.  Tate may not have that in AAA in his career.

LeBlanc is a 35 year old pitcher with no discernable still in his pitching profile outside control.

People on this website keep telling me the Orioles shouldnt sign guys like Vargas or Scooter Gennett because they serve no purpose to a rebuilding team, but you're ready to ship Hess for LeBlanc?....

Hess is bad. He was bad today, He’s been bad, he’s never been good.

He may have great stuff but he gets whammed every time out.

I’m happy to dump Hess for ANYBODY.

Regarding Tate, I didn’t make any endorsement of him. I don’t care about keeping Tate, who, like Ortiz, was another “former first round pick” that was foisted onto the Orioles in a bad trade.

But Hess? There’s no reason to keep him. Maybe some other team can fix him and they are more than welcome to try. It’s obvious that remaining here does neither him nor us any good.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Hess statcast comparables for velocity and movement are Maeda, Odorizzi, Trevor Williams and Cashner.  All successful pitchers.  I have to believe if the Orioles cant fix him someone else will.

They are welcome to try.

theres a reason Hess got blasted every time out. Dunno what it is, but velocity and movement obviously didn’t help him.

52 minutes ago, Philip said:

Hess is bad. He was bad today, He’s been bad, he’s never been good.

1. 80 innings of sub 4.00 ERA in MLB

2. A no-hitter into the 7th inning at which point he was pulled.

3. 130 single A innings with a sub 3.50 ERA 

4.  133 double AA innings at a sub 4.00 ERA

5. His first 45 innings at AAA were a 3.15 ERA.

But sure, he has never been good.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

1. 80 innings of sub 4.00 ERA in MLB

2. A no-hitter into the 7th inning at which point he was pulled.

3. 130 single A innings with a sub 3.50 ERA 

4.  133 double AA innings at a sub 4.00 ERA

5. His first 45 innings at AAA were a 3.15 ERA.

But sure, he has never been good.  

Correct. Remember that any fool can have a good day, and still be a bad pitcher. Yes, Hess had a no-hitter into the 7th inning. He had a good day.

So?

Mike Wright had TWO good days...But he was still a very very bad pitcher.

Are you really using A, AA and AAA results as evidence Hess is a good MLB pitcher?

Quickly, let us all laugh together.

Meanwhile, I’m not sure where you got “80 innings of sub-4.00 ERA in MLB.” 

Hess has 183 career MLB innings that have produced: a 5.84 ERA, a 6.44 FIP, a 5.58 XFIP and a whopping minus .07 WAR.

so yes, he’s never been good.

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

1B Davis  

2B Alberto

SS Iglesias

3B Ruiz

C  Severino

LF Santander

CF Hays

RF Mancini

DH Nunez

Starters

Means

Cobb

Wojo

LeBlanc

Milone

Bullpen

Givens

Fry

Harvey

Bleier

Castro

Rucker

Armstrong

Bailey

I am wondering if Velazquez can be the 4th outfielder instead of Williams.   That would save the O's from DFAing 5 guys.  Cut it to 4.   Smith could make the team for the first month until Mountcastle is ready.  Velazquez will have to see more time in the OF in the 2nd half on ST to make this happen.

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

When does Smith play?  Assuming no injuries, he doesn't start or platoon.  He offers no defense and little speed so he's a LH PH off the bench.  If he doesn't start, I see him DFA or in AAA to start the season. DFA 5 instead of 4 is not that big a deal.  It might not be Smith though.

Smith probably plays when Santander sore shoulder acts up.