When Will the 2020 MLB Season Begin? (Poll)

24fps

Start of the 2020 Season  

149 members have voted

1. 1. When will the 2020 season begin?

• Sometime in April
    • Sometime in May
    • Sometime in June
    • Sometime in July
    • No 2020 Season at All

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/20 at 04:59

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Seems like things in China are STARTING to get back to business as usual after a month or two.   But of course they did some draconian measures of containment that will not happen here. 

They also took some reasonable measures of containment that won't happen here.

• Upvote 1

NCAA just cancelled the NCAA basketball tournament and all other winter/spring sports championships/tournaments including the College World Series.

So pretty much every top level pro and college sport in the US has shut down for now.

25 minutes ago, atomic said:

Looking at the numbers and how it is spreading I can’t see baseball happening this year.

It depends on whether the trend reverses, especially once the weather warms up.  I really don’t think we know what the situation will look like in mid-May.    But I sure wouldn’t bet on seeing any April baseball.    

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It depends on whether the trend reverses, especially once the weather warms up.  I really don’t think we know what the situation will look like in mid-May.    But I sure wouldn’t bet on seeing any April baseball.    

Were not testing anyone. In Mid May the system will collapse from the number of sick. Make sure you have plenty of food.  I wish the outlook wasn’t so bad.  But it is.  

27 minutes ago, atomic said:

Were not testing anyone. In Mid May the system will collapse from the number of sick. Make sure you have plenty of food.  I wish the outlook wasn’t so bad.  But it is.  

Well, I guess the lack of baseball will be the least of my worries.     Thanks for cheering me up.   

1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

Usually these viruses mutate into a less dangerous strain. We'll see.

1918 flu was not that deadly in the first wave Was very deadly when it came back in the fall.But every virus does its thing.At best a guess whether it dissipates in the warmer months Does it come back? Do we contain enough to go back to a semblance of normal soon? 

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

1918 flu was not that deadly in the first wave Was very deadly when it came back in the fall.But every virus does its thing.At best a guess whether it dissipates in the warmer months Does it come back? Do we contain enough to go back to a semblance of normal soon? 

That Spanish Flu is what I keep thinking about. A pandemic can get away from doctors and governments very fast. Of course doctors know a lot more today than they did in 1918-19, public officials to a lesser extent... And all the returning troops from WWI also massively helped to spread it. I hope I'm wrong but I voted no season at all.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, orioles119 said:

Looking at the 10-week time-span for China, I would say May 21, just after Mother's Day.  That is 70 days from today's announcement.  That would be about a 130 or so game season.

There's only so much you can do to prepare without playing games. I don't think owners or the MLBPA would want the players to start the real season cold.  Figure another three weeks minimum for spring training v2.0.