When Will the 2020 MLB Season Begin? (Poll)

24fps

Start of the 2020 Season  

149 members have voted

1. 1. When will the 2020 season begin?

• Sometime in April
    • Sometime in May
    • Sometime in June
    • Sometime in July
    • No 2020 Season at All

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/20 at 04:59

22 hours ago, jabba72 said:

It hasnt left China, its just waiting for everyone to come back outside. I've read they are getting antsy to get their economic engine back up again, but they know all it will do is spread the virus. Im not sure what the answer is for them until some effective drugs come out. 

It's not likely to be any better for us.

Kevin Kernan column from the NY Post:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/15/mlb-clubs-actions-provide-clue-how-long-this-could-last/

Don’t expect this to be a brief pause to the season and games getting underway in April.

With MLB, you can’t look at what they say because everyone has their own agenda. You have to look at what they are doing. It’s clear all ballplayers have hit the brakes hard on their workouts, ramping everything down. From all indications and what teams are doing now, it appears that Memorial Day Weekend seems like a fine time to start the 2020 season.

If, and this is a big if, if things don’t get worse with the coronavirus pandemic.

I expect Memorial Day will become the default guess for the next three weeks or so in the absence of any concrete news.

12 minutes ago, Ripken said:

This will get worse into early April and start to subside after.  A short spring training in late June and an 81 game season starting in July (so I said June in the poll).  No ASG.

Although I guessed the 2020 season would be cancelled. if there is baseball in 2020,  this scenario  sounds like a very reasonable outcome for this situation.  For flu generally,  it tapers down in relation to the weather heating up.. Maybe we will get lucky and that will happen  with this virus.  

Some experts believe the virus goes away during the warm weather. It has generally followed that pattern in countries where it first appeared.  So I'm guessing May. I hope the virus does not come back stronger than ever in time for the WS.  I heard  is what happened with the 1918 flu epidemic it came back even worse in the fall. 

Get ready to not have a season.

On the front of ESPN.com right now, there's an article talking about the NBA being fearful that they won't start games until June..if at all.  If the NBA doesn't pick back up, there's not going to be any baseball.

You guys can hope for the best, but I'd start preparing for the worst.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

On the front of ESPN.com right now, there's an article talking about the NBA being fearful that they won't start games until June..if at all.  If the NBA doesn't pick back up, there's not going to be any baseball.

I don’t think the NBA should have much bearing on the MLB. The NBA would likely have to go straight into the playoffs which is a decent risk for players-2-3 months off then going full bore. I’m sure their TV money potential is so huge it will be very hard to say no, but I’m also sure they wouldn’t have as many viewers as during a standard playoffs. There have to be plenty of casual fans like myself who will follow along off the momentum from the playoff chase that just won’t care to pick it back up mid summer.

If sports can’t come back until July I could see the NBA calling it while the MLB still has 3 months to go. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

The odds of having any type of season are extremely remote. 

6 hours ago, survivedc said:

I don’t think the NBA should have much bearing on the MLB. The NBA would likely have to go straight into the playoffs which is a decent risk for players-2-3 months off then going full bore. I’m sure their TV money potential is so huge it will be very hard to say no, but I’m also sure they wouldn’t have as many viewers as during a standard playoffs. There have to be plenty of casual fans like myself who will follow along off the momentum from the playoff chase that just won’t care to pick it back up mid summer.

If sports can’t come back until July I could see the NBA calling it while the MLB still has 3 months to go. 

CDC just said to limit groups of 50 people or less for the next eight weeks.  That puts us in mid-May.  And that's a best case scenario.  And there's nothing about this thing that has had a "best case" work out correctly so far.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

CDC just said to limit groups of 50 people or less for the next eight weeks.  That puts us in mid-May.  And that's a best case scenario.  And there's nothing about this thing that has had a "best case" work out correctly so far.

Yeah and we are extending the curve by taking precautions. MLB season is done . I think the question is whether we have NFL season and if anyone will care if we dont.

I am becoming more pessimistic everyday. At this point I think MLB should plan an 81 or so game schedule, with divisional and regional teams. Allow rosters to expand with 4 roster spots for pitchers until innings can be built up (do away with the new rules applying to relief pitchers). I'd rather see a realistic plan than some thing thrown together. If you can't get in at least half the schedule it is rather pointless IMO.