Some stuff...

bigbird

He's worth $15-$16M which means we'll need to pay $18-20 to get him. I don't think he's worth it either but what drives me is wanting to have a team that competes. Signing Tex is a sign of a commitment by our FO that winning is a goal, not just a slogan. Refusing to up the payroll enough when you don't have the money is prudent thinking. Refusing to do it when you have plenty of money is cheap and an insult to the fans. I'm not advocating thowing $180M at CC, but setting limits that aren't realistic is rediculous. If all of this is true they need to offer Billy Beane what ever amount he desires to come work for our poor lil city and help us regain respect.

You could have said this about Tejada. In fact, I believe many here truly believed this when they signed Tejada.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AM didn;t offer those contracts..... Is Tex really work $18 million?????

Just purely as a baseball player, in today's market, Tex is prob worth around 18, maybe a little less. But to a franchise that needs life breathed into it, Tex is worth a lot more. Make him turn down the highest offer.

As JTrea has been saying, Tex is the only big free agent for many years to come who is actually going to want to play here is if the money is equal.

We paid Tejada and Albert Belle 13 million a season, and offered Carlos Lee and Konerko 15 million a season yet we won't shell out for Tex?
Not exactly. Tejada got $12m/year. Konerko was offered $13m, and, from what I've read, Lee never received a firm offer from us. $12 million may not be the exact line in the sand for Teixeira, but I'd be very surprised if we went much above that number. It is more likely that we'll have a real sense of the market price for Teixeria when negotiations with the Angels "leak to the press" (via Boras). My sense is we'll find the price tag too steep.

References -

The Orioles aren't believed to have made a firm $90 million offer to Carlos Lee. One team source said nothing is on the table and only parameters have been discussed. But they might have to go that high, at six years, if they want to keep Lee from the Astros or Phillies. And so far, the idea hasn't been shot down.
Source - Roch, Nov 21,2006.
Konerko had a better offer from the Baltimore Orioles, who dangled a $65 million package, and also had a similar $60 million offer from the Los Angeles Angels.
Source - NY Times, Dec 2005

Arrieta makes no sense to call up because he's not on the 40 man roster and Bergesen and Hernandez will be after this season. Tillman or Matusz will get called up before Arrieta IMO.

Who really cares if Arrieta isnt on the 40 man roster. There will forever be players on the 40 man roster that can go to make room. If Arrieta is ready why let him wait.

Bergesen will most likely be the player that is called up to make a spot start or three if someone is on the DL, but BB said Arrieta would be the first to be called up for "keeps."

The Orioles would probably like see Hernandez get a season in at Norfolk.

There is no way Matusz or Tillman see Baltimore before Arrieta, who has a year of experience under his belt. Tillman still doesnt have the best command and will probably spend most of the season at Norfolk. Matusz hasnt pitched a game yet in our organization and while he will move quick, no need to bring him up without at least half a season of experience in the minors. Arrieta was tabbed as a fast mover when he was drafted and he has lived up to those expectations. He would have been in Bowie if not for his injuries and subsequent selection to the Olympics.

We paid Tejada and Albert Belle 13 million a season, and offered Carlos Lee and Konerko 15 million a season yet we won't shell out for Tex? I don't buy it at all. Baltimore fans want to bring Tex back home. Angelos won't screw this one up...

Arrieta makes no sense to call up because he's not on the 40 man roster and Bergesen and Hernandez will be after this season. Tillman or Matusz will get called up before Arrieta IMO.

I'd love to see the look on your face when you find out that Tex has signed elsewhere. Actually, I'd pay to have a cameraman follow you around so we could all see the reaction.

Priceless footage, no doubt :)

I'd love to see the look on your face when you find out that Tex has signed elsewhere. Actually, I'd pay to have a cameraman follow you around so we could all see the reaction.

Priceless footage, no doubt :)

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to come around to your line of thinking, Moose. At the beginning of the season (hell, even at the trade deadline), I said I was sure Tex would be in an O's uniform next season. Now... well, let's just say I'm thinking it's more 50/50 IF NOT worse. :(

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to come around to your line of thinking, Moose. At the beginning of the season (hell, even at the trade deadline), I said I was sure Tex would be in an O's uniform next season. Now... well, let's just say I'm thinking it's more 50/50 IF NOT worse. :(

Things are gonna have to get better from within the organization before we can even start to think that big time FA's will consider signing here.

It's not the mid 90's anymore, we're not competitive and OPACY is no longer unique.

Just my opinion that'll no doubt clash with others on here. Oh well.

Yes. To the Yankees and Angels he is IMO.

To me, 6/17 should be the max from the Orioles, but he'll get more elsewhere. Possibly a lot and certainly from teams in a better position to compete in the near future.

I still believe a major reason AM was brought here was to get the finances back in order and return the Orioles to the top of the income list. The income list matters more to Angelos than the victory list. They were number 2 over a five year period(Forbes) but Flanaquette had started to spend too much(Baez etc). Last year they were swimming in money, they're moving towards drowning in it.

For Tex to even think of coming here a few things must happen. First, sign Roberts and Markakis long term, Tex would not want to play with a bunch of prospects like they got for Miggy (with respct to Scott). Second sign a FA pitcher, big name not Burnett. The team does things like this, they have a shot at Tex, only way. I am no sports guy but this seems the only way he would want to come, put yourselves in Tex's shoes wouldnt you want it that way?

Who really cares if Arrieta isnt on the 40 man roster. There will forever be players on the 40 man roster that can go to make room. If Arrieta is ready why let him wait.

There is no way Matusz or Tillman see Baltimore before Arrieta, who has a year of experience under his belt. Tillman still doesnt have the best command and will probably spend most of the season at Norfolk. Matusz hasnt pitched a game yet in our organization and while he will move quick, no need to bring him up without at least half a season of experience in the minors. Arrieta was tabbed as a fast mover when he was drafted and he has lived up to those expectations. He would have been in Bowie if not for his injuries and subsequent selection to the Olympics.

I have no idea who they plan to call up first, but I feel the same way about Tillman (or anybody else who is apparently ready). If a pitcher is ready, why let them wait?

Tillman still doesn't have the best command--BB% of 11.2, K% of 26.6 in AA--but it isn't like Arrieta has better command than Tillman--BB% of 11, K% of 25.9 in A+.

It's kinda far down on my list of problems with the organization, but I'm tired of people searching for reasons to leave Tillman down in the minors. If Tillman repeats his numbers from this year to next year, they should challenge him with a taste at the big league level at some point in the second half of the season. We never like to challenge players...allow them to work against better competition even though they might not quite be ready.

I don't mind if they want to bring up Arrieta first, but to say there is no way Tillman sees Baltimore before Arrieta is way overstating it. I agree on Matusz though...let's see him pitch a game first.

Absolutely. If we do more rebuilding this offseason and trade Roberts, the Orioles risk losing even more of their fanbase and they can't afford to do that. If it's true what you are saying, this team could be in last place for the next 4-6 years and after 11 years of losing, that's unacceptable for the revenue that they take in...

Things are gonna have to get better from within the organization before we can even start to think that big time FA's will consider signing here.

It's not the mid 90's anymore, we're not competitive and OPACY is no longer unique.

Just my opinion that'll no doubt clash with others on here. Oh well.

With Boras it matters not what the state of the organization is. Money is the only thing that matters.

I do think that things are gonna have to get better within the organization before we can even start to think about adding a big time FA. Build the foundation first with methods (build from within, trades, etc.) where it's possible to actually get a decent production for the price. When we are finally in a position where we are a player or two away then is the time to roll the dice on the gamble that overpaying for a FA is.

Archived