Baseball games re-broadcast

Carllamy

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lowenstein, on that '85 broadcast, see's some kid with a Cabbage Patch doll and an Orioles helmet on and goes "It looks like it had cancer!"

Things you can NOT get away with these days.

J-Low said several things in the course of the game that were almost risqué and made the PBP announcer Mel Proctor uncomfortable. But the cancer comment was the worst--and Mel couldn't figure a way to cover for it.

McGregor looked like a lefty version of Stu Miller but stretched out into a complete game. Epitome of the "crafty southpaw."

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, LA2 said:

J-Low said several things in the course of the game that were almost risqué and made the PBP announcer Mel Proctor uncomfortable. But the cancer comment was the worst--and Mel couldn't figure a way to cover for it.

McGregor looked like a lefty version of Stu Miller but stretched out into a complete game. Epitome of the "crafty southpaw."

Proctor and Lowenstein, still the best duo they've ever had.  

20 hours ago, LA2 said:

Interesting that he was a player and broadcaster in the same season.

I want to say that maybe Jim Palmer did some postseason TV color commentary work in the early 80s for ABC, when he was still an active player.   Not 83 obviously.

36 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I want to say that maybe Jim Palmer did some postseason TV color commentary work in the early 80s for ABC, when he was still an active player.   Not 83 obviously.

But to do it during the regular season like Lowenstein did, that must be pretty rare. It looks like he must have retired first, after going 2 for 26.

43 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I always thought he was a good 2Bman.   Very quick first step.

Yes, I think Lowenstein even mentions something along those lines early in the game. He also turned a DP masterfully with the runner trying to take him out with a barrel roll. At the plate, he got robbed of two hits during the game (not to mention the two home-run distance wallops that were just foul after hitting a homer earlier in the series).

About 15 years ago I went to the game in Seattle where Raffy got his 3,000th hit. Afterwards I went to David Ishii's legendary bookstore in the International District and discovered that he had a collection of Lenn Sakata memorabilia, some of it from when he was in the Giants' organization. I wasn't enough of a fan of Sakata or rich enough to buy anything, but it was cool to see.

Last night MASN re-aired the Wilkerson save game in Anaheim. Maybe it's the lack of sports, but I watched a few innings and genuinely enjoyed it.  Santander looked good, Wilkerson had a nice RBI triple, Mancini crushed an oppo field homer some 420 feet.  Was a fun activity on a depressing no sports night.

I'll watch an occasional re-broadcast of an Orioles game from the past, although it seems that some games get re-broadcast over and over again.

Back in 2018, my brother, who lives in Pittsfield, MA, told me that someone who lives up there had produced a documentary on the life of Mark Belanger, who was originally from Pittsfield.  He had offered it to MASN but hadn't gotten any response.  If MASN ever showed it during either the 2018-19 or 2019-20 offseason, it escaped my notice.

I wonder, now that it may be quite a while before we have live baseball again, whether MASN might want to take another look at doing something other than re-broadcasts of games that have already been re-broadcast on numerous occasions.

Edited by WillyM

33 minutes ago, WillyM said:

I'll watch an occasional re-broadcast of an Orioles game from the past, although it seems that some games get re-broadcast over and over again.

Back in 2018, my brother, who lives in Pittsfield, MA, told me that someone who lives up there had produced a documentary on the life of Mark Belanger, who was originally from Pittsfield.  He had offered it to MASN but hadn't gotten any response.  If MASN ever showed it during either the 2018-19 or 2019-20 offseason, it escaped my notice.

I wonder, now that it may be quite a while before we have live baseball again, whether MASN might want to take another look at doing something other than re-broadcasts of games that have already been re-broadcast on numerous occasions.

And skip out on showing poker tournament? I doubt it.

9 hours ago, MongoBoy said:

Ah, the memories.

Either Tony Kubek was really tall, or Sparky Anderson was really short.

Curt Gowdy in the 2nd inning: "In fact, the Cincinnati scouting report: Beware of Cuellar, McNally, and Palmer--they can all hit."

At around 40:00 and 46:00, both Rettenmund and Brooksie wearing helmets that have no logo on them. Was that always the case with Merv, a superstition maybe? Brooks' because it was a special short visor helmet?