Baseball games re-broadcast

Carllamy

9 hours ago, MongoBoy said:

Ah, the memories.

Either Tony Kubek was really tall, or Sparky Anderson was really short.

It was the Brooks vs. the Big Red Machine series, but watching it now I realize I had forgotten that the Reds were at such a great disadvantage because most of their starting rotation was on the DL or pitching very hurt.

On 3/19/2020 at 10:14 PM, WillyM said:

I'll watch an occasional re-broadcast of an Orioles game from the past, although it seems that some games get re-broadcast over and over again.

Back in 2018, my brother, who lives in Pittsfield, MA, told me that someone who lives up there had produced a documentary on the life of Mark Belanger, who was originally from Pittsfield.  He had offered it to MASN but hadn't gotten any response.  If MASN ever showed it during either the 2018-19 or 2019-20 offseason, it escaped my notice.

I wonder, now that it may be quite a while before we have live baseball again, whether MASN might want to take another look at doing something other than re-broadcasts of games that have already been re-broadcast on numerous occasions.

Here's a 2017 Berkshire Eagle article about Belanger that I don't recall seeing before.

https://www.berkshireeagle.com/stories/who-else-could-it-be-mark-belanger-is-no-1-on-the-eagles-list-of-berkshire-countys-top-50,523241

It's really a bummer that no TV footage of the 1969 ALCS survives, or even audio. I was born way too late for it, but look at the play by play for Game 1 and tell me it wouldn't be considered one of the greatest ever postseason games if it had happened later in the TV era.

-HRs by all-time greats Frank Robinson and Tony Oliva

-Game-tying HR in the bottom of the ninth by Boog Powell

-Brooks Robinson caught stealing home with what would have been the winning run (the third baseman made the putout, anyone who remembers this game want to shed light on what happened?)

-Dick Hall escapes a bases loaded, one out jam in the top of the 12th

-Orioles win in the bottom of the inning on a two-out bunt by Paul Blair

Those Golden Era Orioles didn't really leave behind an all-time great postseason win that you can watch online. They won all their titles running away and the close ones are all heartbreakers, no?

2 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

It's really a bummer that no TV footage of the 1969 ALCS survives, or even audio. I was born way too late for it, but look at the play by play for Game 1 and tell me it wouldn't be considered one of the greatest ever postseason games if it had happened later in the TV era.

-HRs by all-time greats Frank Robinson and Tony Oliva

-Game-tying HR in the bottom of the ninth by Boog Powell

-Brooks Robinson caught stealing home with what would have been the winning run (the third baseman made the putout, anyone who remembers this game want to shed light on what happened?)

-Dick Hall escapes a bases loaded, one out jam in the top of the 12th

-Orioles win in the bottom of the inning on a two-out bunt by Paul Blair

Those Golden Era Orioles didn't really leave behind an all-time great postseason win that you can watch online. They won all their titles running away and the close ones are all heartbreakers, no?

It was a double steal...Belanger was on first and Brooks was on third with two outs in that same ninth inning and Belanger attempted a steal, trying to provoke a double steal where Brooks might score.  But Perranoski threw home and Brooks was caught in a rundown, tagged out by the third baseman. 

On 3/19/2020 at 3:16 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Proctor and Lowenstein, still the best duo they've ever had.  

...second best.  With all due respect, sir. :)

Here's a video of how Orioles Magic began.  Bill O'Donnell with the call and Charley Eckman in the background for punctuation.  I loved listening to that trio on the radio.  They must have had their own tap in the booth back then.  They were always happy!  Hilarious.  Charley Eckman used to crack me up.  "It's a very simple game!" :)

The game call - the descriptions of situations and the build-up to the situations are just great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khPbyMj1teA

• Upvote 1

A couple of days ago MLB.com ran a feature highlighting several classic game replays for each team. Here is the Orioles batch:

• Cal Ripken Jr., Iron Man (Sept. 6, 1995): Ripken breaks "Iron Horse" Lou Gehrig's streak by playing his 2,131st straight game and puts an exclamation point on history by homering.
  • Inaugural Wild Card winners (Oct. 7, 2012, AL Wild Card Game): In the first year of the new Wild Card Game format, the Orioles go to Texas and beat Yu Darvish and the Rangers.
  • Nailbiter in the Bronx (Oct. 11, 2012, ALDS Game 4): Facing elimination at Yankee Stadium, the Orioles prevail 2-1 in 13 innings on J.J. Hardy's tiebreaking double.
  • Cruz kick-starts ALDS sweep (Oct. 2, 2014, ALDS Game 1): With the O's up against a Cy Young-winning Tigers rotation of Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander and David Price, Nelson Cruz homers off Scherzer in the first inning of Game 1 and Baltimore never looks back.
  • 2014 AL East clincher (Sept. 16, 2014): The Orioles clinch their first division title since 1997 and the ninth in team history.

I've been working my way through them... plus the great Delmon game against Detroit for "Opening Day" nostalgia.

Oh, and about that "Nailbiter in the Bronx (Oct. 11, 2012, ALDS Game 4)," I can't help but make an observation that I know full well will be quite unpopular around here. But here goes:

Orioles facing a must-win elimination game on the road (in New York), tied into extra innings with an anemic offense. Their dominant, 51-save closer (Jim Johnson) on the bench, and five relievers already done for the night, Showalter brings in Pedro Strop for the 11th and 12th. Strop had a dismal September that year, 6.48 ERA and 1.008 opponent OPS, but he rose to the occasion, allowing just one hit and striking out a pair. The O's finally scored in the top of the 13th and Johnson closed out the 2-1 win. Question, did everyone freak out then because Showalter left Johnson to wait until O's got a lead to protect, and risked it all in the meantime with a shaky Strop?

In contrast, in Game 1 at home, Johnson enters the top of 9th tied 2-2, gives up a go-ahead homer to Russell Martin, then four more hits, opening the floodgates to a 5-run Yankee margin of victory. Here's the rest of the context: In Game 2, Johnson enters top of 9th to close out a 3-2 O's victory. Game 3, Johnson enters bottom of 9th with 2-1 lead, gives up tying HR to Raul Ibanez. Ibanez repeats the tragedy against Matusz in the 12th. And, sad to say, Game 5, Orioles lose to Sabathia, 3-1.

I don't know if there's a moral to the story, since Showalter got mixed results trying mixed strategies with his supposedly dominant closer. Except that hindsight is always golden. And the Britton debacle wasn't entirely unique in Orioles' history, except perhaps for the unpalatable result. Maybe the real key difference here is that JJ was already proving not to be as dominant as advertised.

Side note: Pedro Strop lasted just 22 more innings in an Orioles uniform, posting a 7.25 ERA to begin the 2013 season, and traded to the Cubs with Jake Arrieta for Scott Feldman and Steve Clevenger (who produced, in a later trade, Mark Trumbo); Strop went on to post a 2.90 ERA for the next seven seasons as a Cub. But all that's probably too much information for this thread. ;)

Going back further to the previous dominant Orioles closer, Randy Myers in 1997 with 45 saves and a 1.51 ERA, let's look at game 3 of the ACLS in Cleveland. Benitez pitches the 8th with the Orioles trailing by a run, and Brady Anderson ties the game 1-1 in the 9th with a double. Benitez stays in for the 9th. For the 10th and the 11th, who does Davey Johnson bring in from the bullpen? Not Randy Myers, but Arthur Rhodes with his 3.02 ERA. Rhodes (like Strop in 2012 but not Ubaldo in 2016), survives the trial by fire. Finally, with the score still tied in the 12th, Myers enters the game, only to surrender a walk to Grissom, a single to Fernandez, and a steal of home by Grissom for the game-winner.

39 minutes ago, now said:

A couple of days ago MLB.com ran a feature highlighting several classic game replays for each team. Here is the Orioles batch:

• Cal Ripken Jr., Iron Man (Sept. 6, 1995): Ripken breaks "Iron Horse" Lou Gehrig's streak by playing his 2,131st straight game and puts an exclamation point on history by homering.
  • Inaugural Wild Card winners (Oct. 7, 2012, AL Wild Card Game): In the first year of the new Wild Card Game format, the Orioles go to Texas and beat Yu Darvish and the Rangers.
  • Nailbiter in the Bronx (Oct. 11, 2012, ALDS Game 4): Facing elimination at Yankee Stadium, the Orioles prevail 2-1 in 13 innings on J.J. Hardy's tiebreaking double.
  • Cruz kick-starts ALDS sweep (Oct. 2, 2014, ALDS Game 1): With the O's up against a Cy Young-winning Tigers rotation of Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander and David Price, Nelson Cruz homers off Scherzer in the first inning of Game 1 and Baltimore never looks back.
  • 2014 AL East clincher (Sept. 16, 2014): The Orioles clinch their first division title since 1997 and the ninth in team history.

I've been working my way through them... plus the great Delmon game against Detroit for "Opening Day" nostalgia.

Oh, and about that "Nailbiter in the Bronx (Oct. 11, 2012, ALDS Game 4)," I can't help but make an observation that I know full well will be quite unpopular around here. But here goes:

Orioles facing a must-win elimination game on the road (in New York), tied into extra innings with an anemic offense. Their dominant, 51-save closer (Jim Johnson) on the bench, and five relievers already done for the night, Showalter brings in Pedro Strop for the 11th and 12th. Strop had a dismal September that year, 6.48 ERA and 1.008 opponent OPS, but he rose to the occasion, allowing just one hit and striking out a pair. The O's finally scored in the top of the 13th and Johnson closed out the 2-1 win. Question, did everyone freak out then because Showalter left Johnson to wait until O's got a lead to protect, and risked it all in the meantime with a shaky Strop?

In contrast, in Game 1 at home, Johnson enters the top of 9th tied 2-2, gives up a go-ahead homer to Russell Martin, then four more hits, opening the floodgates to a 5-run Yankee margin of victory. Here's the rest of the context: In Game 2, Johnson enters top of 9th to close out a 3-2 O's victory. Game 3, Johnson enters bottom of 9th with 2-1 lead, gives up tying HR to Raul Ibanez. Ibanez repeats the tragedy against Matusz in the 12th. And, sad to say, Game 5, Orioles lose to Sabathia, 3-1.

I don't know if there's a moral to the story, since Showalter got mixed results trying mixed strategies with his supposedly dominant closer. Except that hindsight is always golden. And the Britton debacle wasn't entirely unique in Orioles' history, except perhaps for the unpalatable result. Maybe the real key difference here is that JJ was already proving not to be as dominant as advertised.

Side note: Pedro Strop lasted just 22 more innings in an Orioles uniform, posting a 7.25 ERA to begin the 2013 season, and traded to the Cubs with Jake Arrieta for Scott Feldman and Steve Clevenger (who produced, in a later trade, Mark Trumbo); Strop went on to post a 2.90 ERA for the next seven seasons as a Cub. But all that's probably too much information for this thread. ;)

Going back further to the previous dominant Orioles closer, Randy Myers in 1997 with 45 saves and a 1.51 ERA, let's look at game 3 of the ACLS in Cleveland. Benitez pitches the 8th with the Orioles trailing by a run, and Brady Anderson ties the game 1-1 in the 9th with a double. Benitez stays in for the 9th. For the 10th and the 11th, who does Davey Johnson bring in from the bullpen? Not Randy Myers, but Arthur Rhodes with his 3.02 ERA. Rhodes (like Strop in 2012 but not Ubaldo in 2016), survives the trial by fire. Finally, with the score still tied in the 12th, Myers enters the game, only to surrender a walk to Grissom, a single to Fernandez, and a steal of home by Grissom for the game-winner.

I would say the difference is that the gap between the historic 2016 Britton and 2016 Ubaldo is significantly wider than the gap between 2012 Johnson and 2012 Strop.

Also Vizquel(? I think it was him) made contact with that ball and it was foul. The "steal of home" by Grissom was BS.

13 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

I would say the difference is that the gap between the historic 2016 Britton and 2016 Ubaldo is significantly wider than the gap between 2012 Johnson and 2012 Strop.

Also Vizquel(? I think it was him) made contact with that ball and it was foul. The "steal of home" by Grissom was BS.

No argument on the "steal." As for comparing relievers, your overall point makes sense but breaks down if you just look at the "hot hand" of September results. Both Britton and Johnson were lights out late in the season. Ubaldo was also stellar: 3-1, 2.31, 35 IP, 18 H, 31K, 0.829 WHIP.  Strop was atrocious with his 6.48 ERA, and for that matter Rhodes was nothing special heading to the playoffs with a 3.55, 1.342 September. Yet both of those guys were inserted in tie games while Johnson and Myers sat unused in the bullpen.

Just to add a few more data points to the discussion... Britton was nearly as good in 2014 as he was in 2016. Again he was used in different situations against KC, with mixed results...

ACLS Game 1 away
Britton pitches 9th of a 5-5 tie.
O'Day enters to finish 9th and loses game in the 10th.

Game 2 Away
Tied 4-4 in the 8th, Miller faces two and O'Day one.
O'Day gives up a single to start the ninth. Britton relieves and gives up two hits, allowing the two winning (losing) runs.

Season totals:
Britton 37 saves, 1.65 ERA. Miller 1.35 as an Oriole. O'Day 1.70.

S**t happens. And as an Oriole fan, more times than is pleasant to remember. But hey, with time on our hands...

Here's another from the archives:
1989, Sept. 29 in Toronto. O's need to win the next 2 games.
Closer Gregg Olson (27 saves, 1.69) relieves Ballard in bottom of the 8th to protect a 1-0 lead, yields a steal, advance to third, and tying run on wild pitch. Olson stays in for the 9th and 10th. Williamson comes on in the 11th and loses the game.

1973 Bob Reynolds 9 Sv, 1.95, Grant Jackson 9 Sv, 1.90
ACLS game 3 in Oakland. Weaver leaves in Cuellar, despite yielding tying run in 8th, into the 11th when Campeneris homers to win it for the A's. Unused in the bullpen are Reynolds (1.95) and Jackson (1.90).
But I guess Weaver was saving them for the next game, when the duo combined for 7.1 innings of 1-run relief in a 5-4 Orioles comeback win. (In between, though, with the score tied 4-4 in the 7th, Weaver risked Eddie Watt for two batters). (BTW I was at that game, and predicted the heroics by Etchebarren and Jackson, though I thought it would be Reggie, LOL).

11 hours ago, now said:

Just to add a few more data points to the discussion... Britton was nearly as good in 2014 as he was in 2016. Again he was used in different situations against KC, with mixed results...

ACLS Game 1 away
Britton pitches 9th of a 5-5 tie.
O'Day enters to finish 9th and loses game in the 10th.

Game 2 Away
Tied 4-4 in the 8th, Miller faces two and O'Day one.
O'Day gives up a single to start the ninth. Britton relieves and gives up two hits, allowing the two winning (losing) runs.

Season totals:
Britton 37 saves, 1.65 ERA. Miller 1.35 as an Oriole. O'Day 1.70.

S**t happens. And as an Oriole fan, more times than is pleasant to remember. But hey, with time on our hands...

Here's another from the archives:
1989, Sept. 29 in Toronto. O's need to win the next 2 games.
Closer Gregg Olson (27 saves, 1.69) relieves Ballard in bottom of the 8th to protect a 1-0 lead, yields a steal, advance to third, and tying run on wild pitch. Olson stays in for the 9th and 10th. Williamson comes on in the 11th and loses the game.

1973 Bob Reynolds 9 Sv, 1.95, Grant Jackson 9 Sv, 1.90
ACLS game 3 in Oakland. Weaver leaves in Cuellar, despite yielding tying run in 8th, into the 11th when Campeneris homers to win it for the A's. Unused in the bullpen are Reynolds (1.95) and Jackson (1.90).
But I guess Weaver was saving them for the next game, when the duo combined for 7.1 innings of 1-run relief in a 5-4 Orioles comeback win. (In between, though, with the score tied 4-4 in the 7th, Weaver risked Eddie Watt for two batters). (BTW I was at that game, and predicted the heroics by Etchebarren and Jackson, though I thought it would be Reggie, LOL).

This is really just depressing cause, except for a couple of years in the past 30, this team really has sucked.