On This Day In 1970: April 8

cboemmeljr

#50THANNIVERSARY

On This day in 1970 the Baltimore Orioles defeated the Cleveland Indians 3-2 behind a complete game, 5-hit effort by Mike Cuellar.

The Orioles moved to 2-0 on the season.

The Orioles managed just 5 hits and were led by Mark Belanger who went 1 for 4 with 2 RBI on the day.

The attendance at Cleveland Stadium was just 2,811.

BOX SCORE

• Upvote 1

A Wednesday. I was in school, 2nd grade. Mrs. Foster's class. Sweet old lady. We were probably learning number lines or water color painting or cursive writing. One time she brought in half pints of heavy cream and we all made butter.

13 hours ago, cboemmeljr said:

The attendance at Cleveland Stadium was just 2,811.

Capacity was something like 78,000.  You could have walked up on game day and bought 75,000 tickets.  I wonder if you bought an upper deck seat, if the ushers would have accosted you for going and sitting in a lower box?

If you were social distancing and spreading out evenly across the park, you'd have 27 or 28 seats to yourself.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Capacity was something like 78,000.  You could have walked up on game day and bought 75,000 tickets.  I wonder if you bought an upper deck seat, if the ushers would have accosted you for going and sitting in a lower box?

If you were social distancing and spreading out evenly across the park, you'd have 27 or 28 seats to yourself.

Cleveland was always ahead of the times. :D

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

The announcers always talked about the wind coming in off of Lake Erie.

1970 was effectively wild Sam McDowell's best year, but if you go back a few seasons, I was always impressed by the Indians' starting rotation: McDowell, Luis Tiant, Sonny Siebert, and Steve Hargan, with a decent season or two from pitchers like Stan Williams and John O'Donoghue (later an inept Oriole). Somehow Max Alvis's style at third reminded me of Jerry Adair a few years previous for the O's at second. For most of the 1960s into the 1970s that you could have a good rotation and some of the good hitters they also had and still not be a contender shows how different the game and league structure were back then.

• Upvote 1