How and when will MLB resume in 2020? Update: Owners Agree - Proposal Submitted to Union

PaulFolk

The other thread has gotten hopelessly out of hand, so let's start a new discussion here about when (and if) MLB will return in 2020. And let's try to stay on topic.

Sounds like the latest idea being bandied about is a three-state plan with Florida, Arizona, and Texas. No word on how many teams would be in each location.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-discussing-three-state-plan-with-one-hub-in-texas-as-possible-solution-to-start-2020-season/

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel like right now, all the sports leagues are playing a game of chicken. While football obviously can wait things out a bit, the NHL, MLB, and NBA are all impacted. 

MLB has thrown multiple plans out there. NHL has made the most “concrete” announcement and the NBA has only really made an announcement about pay.

I think if the NHL or NBA make a solid plan/announcement, the other league and MLB will follow.

1 hour ago, PaulFolk said:

The other thread has gotten hopelessly out of hand, so let's start a new discussion here about when (and if) MLB will return in 2020. And let's try to stay on topic.

Sounds like the latest idea being bandied about is a three-state plan with Florida, Arizona, and Texas. No word on how many teams would be in each location.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-discussing-three-state-plan-with-one-hub-in-texas-as-possible-solution-to-start-2020-season/

If you look at IHME models which are the most optimistic Florida and Arizona are among the last states that will be able to open back up.  I think April 2021 seems most likely start date. 

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I feel like right now, all the sports leagues are playing a game of chicken. While football obviously can wait things out a bit, the NHL, MLB, and NBA are all impacted. 

MLB has thrown multiple plans out there. NHL has made the most “concrete” announcement and the NBA has only really made an announcement about pay.

I think if the NHL or NBA make a solid plan/announcement, the other league and MLB will follow.

NBA most likely to have games. Least amount of players some of who have already had it and recovered. But of course next season is coming up quick. 

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

If you look at IHME models which are the most optimistic Florida and Arizona are among the last states that will be able to open back up.  I think April 2021 seems most likely start date. 

Those states have not been hit hard. No reason they won’t host games. 

I see a June start.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Florida has been hit pretty good although most of it is in the Miami area.

I just know the beaches are opening and that in general it is always a state that has many deaths. 

Obviously you are down there and know the area much better. I just can’t see them going into an area they would be concerned about. They would be fools to try and go into a hot spot. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I just know the beaches are opening and that in general it is always a state that has many deaths. 

Obviously you are down there and know the area much better. I just can’t see them going into an area they would be concerned about. They would be fools to try and go into a hot spot. 

My father went to Home Depot today to return a chainsaw he was renting.  They were at store capacity and he had to wait to get in.  (This is with a Lowe's literally across the street)  Folks down here are not taking this seriously.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My father went to Home Depot today to return a chainsaw he was renting.  They were at store capacity and he had to wait to get in.  (This is with a Lowe's literally across the street)  Folks down here are not taking this seriously.

Interesting. With the older population down there that surprises me.

To be honest I was hesitant to get into this thread. I don’t want to stir up a hornets nest. I think outside of NYC with the proper protection they could play these games. I would be more concerned about support staff, umpires and coaches than the players considering how much age plays into this. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Those states have not been hit hard. No reason they won’t host games. 

I see a June start.

The states that have been hit hard are at their peak. Arizona and Florida are still on their way up. According to the models New York can open up at the end of May and Arizona at end of June. Florida in the middle of June.

What a sad discussion.

I think it’s much more likely that the fans will never go back. Why should they? There is a trade-off, of course: For me there’s always been something special about being in person, but watching on TV Offers almost everything else. And it’s cheaper, and you don’t have to pay 10 bucks for a bud light. 

I am very unhappy with everything Manfred has done, So I am very cynical. I think that he will look at all the options and choose the worst one.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

What a sad discussion.

I think it’s much more likely that the fans will never go back. Why should they? There is a trade-off, of course: For me there’s always been something special about being in person, but watching on TV Offers almost everything else. And it’s cheaper, and you don’t have to pay 10 bucks for a bud light. 

I am very unhappy with everything Manfred has done, So I am very cynical. I think that he will look at all the options and choose the worst one.

There is no way fans wouldn’t go back. It may not be this year but come on.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, survivedc said:

There is no way fans wouldn’t go back. It may not be this year but come on.

Sure, a lot of them will, but a lot of them won’t. I personally feel that most of them won’t.  I don’t think enough of them will to sustain the current finances

1 hour ago, Philip said:

What a sad discussion.

Because they like baseball?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1