SI: MLBPA rejects 2020 draft proposal - UPDATE 5 round implemented

weams

15 hours ago, atomic said:

They shouldn’t be able to sign anyone after 5th round if they are doing this.  Owners are taking advantage of pandemic to rip off these guys.  It doesn’t even make sense. By far most of the draft money is spent of the first five rounds. 

Looking at the last two years, in each the O’s signed three players for between $125-250,000 each in rounds 6-10, and also signed two senior sign types for under $20,000.    Those senior sign types are going to sign.    The ones who think they’re in the $125-250,000 category presumably won’t.    

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Looking at the last two years, in each the O’s signed three players for between $125-250,000 each in rounds 6-10, and also signed two senior sign types for under $20,000.    Those senior sign types are going to sign.    The ones who think they’re in the $125-250,000 category presumably won’t.    

We shouldn't see any 10-20K senior signings in the fourth and fifth rounds which is a thing that does happen usually.

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah I am saying they won’t save much money with 20k limit.  So if the teams save 200k each on average but average spending 6 million on first 5 rounds then what is the point?  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

We shouldn't see any 10-20K senior signings in the fourth and fifth rounds which is a thing that does happen usually.

True dat.    I should have mentioned in my prior post that there are usually a couple of overslot picks in rounds 11+ that are in excess of $100k.   Those aren’t happening.   I’d feel sorry for these kids, but there’s a lot of people with worse problems.   

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah I am saying they won’t save much money with 20k limit.  So if the teams save 200k each on average but average spending 6 million on first 5 rounds then what is the point?  

I guess with the uncertainty surrounding the season they just aren’t in the mood to pay a bunch of guys to not play baseball, if they don’t have to, even if they’re not being paid much.     The guys in the top 5 rounds are better long term investments, I suppose.   

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

True dat.    I should have mentioned in my prior post that there are usually a couple of overslot picks in rounds 11+ that are in excess of $100k.   Those aren’t happening.   I’d feel sorry for these kids, but there’s a lot of people with worse problems.   

At least some of them will move up into the first five rounds.  I figure if I player is getting 100K+ after the first 10 rounds than he was probably a solid commitment to college.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

At least some of them will move up into the first five rounds.  I figure if I player is getting 100K+ after the first 10 rounds than he was probably a solid commitment to college.

Last year their post-10th round overslots were guys already in college, like Andrew Daschbach (11th round $250k), Dan Hammer (13th round $150 k)  and Houston Roth (29th round $150 k).   

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, scOtt said:

What do you guys mean by "senior signings"? Senior in high school?

College seniors.  They have no leverage so they generally don't get much money.  It has become a thing to draft them in the first 10 rounds and sign them for 10-20K then using the pool money savings elsewhere.  Basically punting on a pick for financial flexibility.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

College seniors.  They have no leverage so they generally don't get much money.  It has become a thing to draft them in the first 10 rounds and sign them for 10-20K then using the pool money savings elsewhere.  Basically punting on a pick for financial flexibility.

But they get another year of eligibility this year. Maybe that is the real reason.  They can’t sign these college seniors underslot and use the money to offer high school kids more money to skip college.

A senior signing in MLB draft vernacular is a college senior who is drafted in the first 10 rounds and has limited other baseball options other than signing and so ends up receiving a relatively small signing bonus.  The draft has recommended slot bonuses for each pick in the first 10 rounds.  Drafting a few senior signs allows major league teams to sign these players for less than slot to use the savings achieved to sign players drafted who require signing bonuses above lost.  A typical senior sign might be a senior taken in the seventh round with a recommended slot bonus of $200k, but who signs for $10k.  That $190k savings might go to a player taken in an earlier or later round who requested a signing bonus above their slot.  

Note that a college junior can enter the draft and be drafted but that player has the option to return to college if not offered a sufficient signing bonus.  

If you look at the Mets draft last year, they took a highly rated player (ranked 20th overall or better according to multiple services) in the third round and gave that player a very big bonus relative to slot and used a lot of their remaining picks on senior signs in order to generate slot savings to pay that player, Matthew Allan.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

But they get another year of eligibility this year. Maybe that is the real reason.  They can’t sign these college seniors underslot and use the money to offer high school kids more money to skip college.

That’s an interesting point for this year.  I wonder if a strategy this year could be to only target signing three or four guys and use the remaining slot money to give to a more difficult sign more than slot.

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

That’s an interesting point for this year.  I wonder if a strategy this year could be to only target signing three or four guys and use the remaining slot money to give to a more difficult sign more than slot.

Considering they will be judging off of significantly less data this year that seems risky.