Owners submit new economic plan to union : UPDATED

Tony-OH

20 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The 1998 Orioles would have been better with Davey no doubt, but the Yankees were unstoppable that year and as you pointed out it was the end for that core of players. Maybe the 1998 Orioles make the wildcard, but they get eliminated before the World Series, and delay the eventual blowup between Angelos and Davey by maybe a year or two. And Cal, Raffy, Alomar, Brady, Mussina, etc. all get older or leave via free agency. 

The '98 Orioles were the 2nd-oldest MLB team (at least by position players) since 1980.  And perhaps of all time, I only went back to 1980. 

The only team with an average position player age above 33.2 was the 2006 Giants, who were under .500 despite Barry Bonds and would stay there for a few years.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The '98 Orioles were the 2nd-oldest MLB team (at least by position players) since 1980.  And perhaps of all time, I only went back to 1980. 

The only team with an average position player age above 33.2 was the 2006 Giants, who were under .500 despite Barry Bonds and would stay there for a few years.

Maybe someone will write a book about the undervalued older player who is on steroids. 

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that after Belle Angelos looked at the overall trend of salaries and decided that he wasn't willing to spend with the big boys.  Unfortunately he wasn't cheap either which caused him to sign a parade of lackluster free agents in an attempt to field a competitive team.

The worst of all options: expending plenty of resources, but on mediocre and declining players, leaving nothing for investment in development.  A recipe for a downward spiral that's hard to recover from.

If he'd just been cheap at least he would have forced the GMs to go with a cutthroat Rays solution of never signing bad contracts, trading players before they declined, and relying only on development.

2 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Governor Hogan has straight up said that he hopes for professional sports to start in Maryland soon. Mayor Jack Young said that his ban on events is for the Office of Promotion and the Arts only - not professional sports leagues. There appears to be absolutely no opposition to the O's playing in Camden Yards once MLB is ready.

Regardless, Governors and mayors are responsible for the public health of their citizens. They are not making personal decisions - both Governor Hogan and Mayor Young have repeatedly said they are making decisions based on facts, science, and experts. Implying the opposite is disingenuous.

I'd like to be watching baseball right now as much as anyone - but COVID-19 is very very serious threat, whether you want to admit it or not. The Hangout prides itself on intelligent, analytical comment and opinions on baseball. Why is everyone doing the exact opposite and getting political about COVID-19? I really encourage people to do a basic Google search before they start posting nonsense that quite frankly is dangerous.

Facts like when the CDC says masks must be worn to protect the spread of the disease, then reverses that saying they are not sure but wearing masks may actually make it worse?

Facts like when the CDC says the virus can live on surfaces and we must clean clean clean, then reverses that saying they are not sure the virus is easily transmitted through surface contamination?

Facts like its okay to go to Home Depot or the Liquor store, but not Sunday Mass or hold outdoor graduation ceremonies?

Which "facts" would you like us to "Google search?"  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Facts like when the CDC says masks must be worn to protect the spread of the disease, then reverses that saying they are not sure but wearing masks may actually make it worse?

Facts like when the CDC says the virus can live on surfaces and we must clean clean clean, then reverses that saying they are not sure the virus is easily transmitted through surface contamination?

Facts like its okay to go to Home Depot or the Liquor store, but not Sunday Mass or hold outdoor graduation ceremonies?

Which "facts" would you like us to "Google search?"  

Perhaps the fact that more people in Pennsylvania over the age of 100 have died than under the age of 45.

Or the fact that the Homeland Security Department reporting on research performed by Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab cannot live in sunlight more than 10 seconds

Or the fact that no cases of Covid 19 worldwide have been traced to an outdoor exposure.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Perhaps the fact that more people in Pennsylvania over the age of 100 have died than under the age of 45.

Or the fact that the Homeland Security Department reporting on research performed by Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab cannot live in sunlight more than 10 seconds

Or the fact that no cases of Covid 19 worldwide have been traced to an outdoor exposure.

I would love to see the source for your claim that JHUPL research.

If outdoors were safe, we would not be wearing masks and practicing social distancing while outside.

From what I have read, the results are mixed, they cant really prove one way or another if this is false or true.

Fact, China is back under lockdown in 2 major cities and round 2 has hit them hard.

I want to stick to my position. The disease and government talk can go in a different thread. This is the baseball related stuff only with no leeway to the theoretical and google searched stuff. Make your own. Use scOtt’s. But keep it out of here. 

14 minutes ago, weams said:

I want to stick to my position. The disease and government talk can go in a different thread. This is the baseball related stuff only with no leeway to the theoretical and google searched stuff. Make your own. Use scOtt’s. But keep it out of here. 

So Hogan is open to baseball and football's return.

But, what about Mayor Young and his recent decision to ban events in Baltimore until August?

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So Hogan is open to baseball and football's return.

But, what about Mayor Young and his recent decision to ban events in Baltimore until August?

I know nothing about that and how it involves MLB.  Who knows where they would want to play. Eric says they are doing stuff to pretty up down in Florida. 

56 minutes ago, weams said:

I'm going to double up on Weams request here. 

We get it, there are differing and strong opinions on this, but unless it specifically affects whether baseball will be played this year or not, keep it out of this thread!

• Upvote 1

Sounds like the NHL has a real plan to come back.  24 game playoff.  Top 4 teams get first round bye. The other teams play best of 5 series in first round.

Two hub cities. One on east coast and one on west coast.  They sent the proposal to the Players Union.   If the NHL starts up right in playoff mode I guess I can deal with no baseball.