MLBTR: Players Make Counter-Proposal

weams

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If I had to do everything over I'd have bought an old Mini or a Citroen 2CV or something more reasonable, that you can fully restore for $20k or $30k, or sometimes even less.  You can buy a nice condition 2CV for $15k.  The split-window looks awesome and about once every three months a delivery guy or plumber or something comes by and says "hey, you have the holy grail!!"  But it doesn't do much good when it doesn't run and will take many tens of thousands of dollars and/or thousands of man hours to fix.

Its also not idea for me, I dont work on cars too much, I can do the odd house repair here and there, so finding a reliable trustworthy mechanic for old non computer cars isnt easy.

16 minutes ago, atomic said:

Also MLS players agreed to take a salary cut to play. If either side wanted to play games they would meet in person and hammer a deal out instead of making comical offers to each other.

At least everyone here will be able to sit back and enjoy all of your positive posts in the mean time.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I liked the idea of four inning games and daily double headers. Could really crank through some games that way.

If the season is going to get an asterisk anyhow, why not have some fun.  4 inning games that end in a tie are settled by a ten pitch home run derby.  All teams make the play off's  and the first round is NCAA tournament style.  The bottom 16 teams play a Thursday /Saturday and Friday / Sunday tournament.   The teams would play a 3 four inning game series in  a day best two out of three advances.  We could fill out brackets and everything.

44 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

If the season is going to get an asterisk anyhow, why not have some fun.  4 inning games that end in a tie are settled by a ten pitch home run derby.  All teams make the play off's  and the first round is NCAA tournament style.  The bottom 16 teams play a Thursday /Saturday and Friday / Sunday tournament.   The teams would play a 3 four inning game series in  a day best two out of three advances.  We could fill out brackets and everything.

i still say to make this an exhibition season, free attendance, minimum salaries for the players.

No stats, just start back to real ball ST 2021.

1 hour ago, Daddy-O's said:

I like the idea of an NCAA style tournament. Was saying they should do that for NBA this year. Can you imagine the low scores of shortened games though? Starters throw max effort for a few innings and call it a day. 

OTOH I guess your top bullpen guy would most likely only be available every 3rd game...

1 hour ago, Daddy-O's said:

I kinda feel that way too. They should have a normal "regular season" that results in typical playoffs - but also incorporate tournament/cup style play like the Premier League does. Take advantage of the opportunity to do something different. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Like Aston Villa made it to the Carabao Cup Finals this year, but is a pretty lousy team that is facing relegation. Leads to some exciting play late in the season for crappy teams.

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

During the Olympics they will put curling and biathlon on, like, CSPAN12 or that channel that's a 24/7 infomercial about suing companies because you once used baby powder.  I'm sure they'd do something similar with baseball playoffs.

How dare you disrespect curling like that. It's easily deserving of CSPAN7 or 8.

• Haha 1

My choice now is to tell the MLB players to stay home and enjoy their summer.  Let every team put a Minor league all-star squad together and let them play in Florida and Arizona.  Top 4 teams in each state go to playoffs and then a championship series.  

I know our mlb team isn't going to be that good so maybe that is why I like this idea but I would make it a point to watch these games nightly.  I just would find it enjoyable watching these guys play to prove themselves and also for the love of the game.  Imagine how these guys would feel getting national attention on them every night.  For some of these guys who may never really make it to the majors this could be their 1 shot at national exposure.  This season is going to be crappy anyways so give us something to enjoy.

1 hour ago, turtlebowl said:

My choice now is to tell the MLB players to stay home and enjoy their summer.  Let every team put a Minor league all-star squad together and let them play in Florida and Arizona.  Top 4 teams in each state go to playoffs and then a championship series.  

I know our mlb team isn't going to be that good so maybe that is why I like this idea but I would make it a point to watch these games nightly.  I just would find it enjoyable watching these guys play to prove themselves and also for the love of the game.  Imagine how these guys would feel getting national attention on them every night.  For some of these guys who may never really make it to the majors this could be their 1 shot at national exposure.  This season is going to be crappy anyways so give us something to enjoy.

Sounds good to me.

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's way too depressing.  First, it's almost all 1960s and 1970s muscle cars.  I know, I own a '63 Vette, but I'm not a muscle car guy.  Plus, about once every episode of Barrett Jackson they have a numbers-matching '63 split window that goes for $150k or more, and it just reminds me that I can't sell mine and I don't have the time or money to restore it.

You should be able to get... 20+K for that even if it's in terrible shape. That '63 is one of THE classic cars!

1 hour ago, weams said:

That's kind of promising! Full prorated (even on a lessened schedule) is quite a concession compared to their ridiculous first "sliding scale" they first proposed.

My memory... but guys scheduled to make $30 mill offered $7 mill I think it was... :rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, scOtt said:

That's kind of promising! Full prorated (even on a lessened schedule) is quite a concession compared to their ridiculous first "sliding scale" they first proposed.

My memory... but guys scheduled to make $30 mill offered $7 mill I think it was... :rolleyes:

So guys making $30 million a year would get $9 million under this plan.  They would only have 50 games.  So that isn’t even a third of a season and then go to playoffs.  So overall players won’ pay anymore money than earlier proposed owners plan.  And they don’t even need to negotiate with players to implement this,  LOL.