2020 1st round pick (2): Heston Kjerstad - OF - (Junior) (Arkansas)

Really really really good time to not be able to care less about the Orioles, or MLB in general. This random ess pick wasn't necessarily what killed me. But yeah, certainly the last straw. Looking forward to the NHL this summer, I guess.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

The MLB Network comp was Kyle Schwarber. Kyle Schwarber isn't even an everyday baseball player, so I really hope the team sees something there that the rest of the world does not. 

To be fair, Kyle Schwarber isn't an everyday player because he's on the Cubs who have players who are that much better at his weakness to justify platooning/rotation.

Just now, MountUrCastle said:

To be fair, Kyle Schwarber isn't an everyday player because he's on the Cubs who have players who are that much better at his weakness to justify platooning/rotation.

This is why Schwarber is a part time player. This and the fact that he's a terrible defender. It has nothing to do with the depth of the Cubs.

Career BA Against Lefties

2019 - .229

2018 - .224

2017 - .171

• Upvote 1

HS RHP's Jared Kelley  and Nick Bitsko, as well as HS LHP Dax Fulton are all still on the board. Perhaps Elias has them in mind? Fulton had been speculated to us at 30 for some time. Kelly is ranked 12th at MLB.com, with Bitsko 14th and Fulton 43rd.

The Rays just took Bitsko at 24. Ugh.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The MLB Network comp was Kyle Schwarber. Kyle Schwarber isn't even an everyday baseball player, so I really hope the team sees something there that the rest of the world does not. 

According to MLB's own top 200 rankings, they have him as 10. So if their comp is Schwarber, either their own rankings are pure crap or they believe Schwarber to a better player than most do.

1 minute ago, badmamajama said:

According to MLB's own top 200 rankings, they have him as 10. So if their comp is Schwarber, either their own rankings are pure crap or they believe Schwarber to a better player than most do.

Top 10...in the draft. Not in all of baseball. Kyle Schwarber is a slightly above average major league player. It's not unrealistic to thing that's the potential ceiling for a top 10 draftee. 

11 minutes ago, weams said:

Was Bitsko our overslot?

Probably among a few that we targeted prior to the draft... at least there was speculation about that.  If they don't end up with HS RHP Jared Kelley at 30 (or later by some miracle) I'm going to be even more disappointed than I already am. Just my take... I still hope that I'll be feeling better by draft's end.