2020 Round 2 (39): Hudson Haskin - OF - (Soph)(Tulane)

I need to do more homework on this kid, but let's just say I'm scratching my head knowing the arms available here.  only watched that one video here, looked at the stats, including his pull happy, not great K-BB ratio cape cod league stats last summer and gotta wonder how this guy is the 1st 2nd rounder off the board. Very interesting draft strategy so far. 

One full draft and three selections into a 6 selection draft, and the earliest Elias has drafted a pitcher is the 8th round. It certainly seems like he's in the mindset of grow the bats, trade for the arms when they are closer and more ready. That's kinda how Houston did things for the most part when you think about it.

30 minutes ago, weams said:

He has a big number supposedly. Sophomore draft eligible. 

Unless his number is what caused his ranking to fall, then why use the 39th pick to take a player ranked in the 70s who is also more expensive than his ranking would suggest?  It's hard to believe that there were no players out there who were higher on Elias' board and who would cost less money.  

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

Unless his number is what caused his ranking to fall, then why use the 39th pick to take a player ranked in the 70s who is also more expensive than his ranking would suggest?  It's hard to believe that there were no players out there who were higher on Elias' board and who would cost less money.  

He must have been high on Elias' board. 

3 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

He is northeast kid though and only a year and half in college in a smaller conference.  He would be basically a guy that went to juco and came out instead of three years in college ball.

13 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I can't get too upset about picking a player who was that productive as a freshman, a big guy who's fast enough to play a solid CF, and walked a hair more than he struck out.    

I would have preferred one of the pitchers, but I'm not going to screech about other people ranking him lower.  

He is an old Sophomore.  

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you are confident that the kid will be there at 74 you shouldn't take him at 39 even if he is at the top of your board.

Do I need to explain that?

You act like he was ranked 200.  He is ranked 57th in baseball America ranking so there must be people that liked him somewhere in the second round or comp area.