NEW 60 GAME Proposal [Baseball is Back!]

weams

18 hours ago, rudyrooster said:

I'd say the odds of a 2020 MLB season are slim and none.....

Puhleeessseee. Anyone that thinks they are closing down over a player with COVID SYMPTOMS and that's a new concern once again is fooling themselves.  

Good Lord it's amazing how quickly people will believe anything told them (not saying you per se).

16 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Anyone know whether the Phils or BJs or Astros or whoever has had players infected were in some kind of bubble, or were they going shopping, eating in restaurants, going to bars, playing golf, hitting the gym -- whatever you do in June spring training -- in public?

Are you living in March of this year or June, where we have much more information about COVID's death rates and even serious complication rates which are actually infinitesimal? Have you not seen all of the protests, gatherings and the opening up of just about every state around this country with no new major spikes in deaths or hospitalizations? 

I got your concerns in March, but there is so much more information out now. You may want to pull yourself away from your typical sources of information if you still believe COVID is a major concern because they are slanted. 

As for baseball, any "closings" are for the owners to try and use this as another negotiating ploy with the players. This is the "we'll shut it down and say it's COVID" tactic. 

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say the vast majority of it down here was ending the lockdown and opening things back up.  Before then most folks that went out at least had on masks.  Now a majority of folks down here are acting like nothing is going on.

Your  numbers were low and you are letting tons of people come from out of state including a lot of New Yorkers. This was bound to happen.  Maine and Hawaii are doing well as they aren't letting people into their states.  

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Are you living in March of this year or June, where we have much more information about COVID's death rates and even serious complication rates which are actually infinitesimal? Have you not seen all of the protests, gatherings and the opening up of just about every state around this country with no new major spikes in deaths or hospitalizations? 

I got your concerns in March, but there is so much more information out now. You may want to pull yourself away from your typical sources of information if you still believe COVID is a major concern because they are slanted. 

As for baseball, any "closings" are for the owners to try and use this as another negotiating ploy with the players. This is the "we'll shut it down and say it's COVID" tactic. 

It's spiking down here Tony.

4K reported cases today.

Nice graph here at the NYT.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/florida-coronavirus-cases.html

End of May they were under a thousand a day.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Even if the odds of dying for players is next to nothing. If players get infected they are going to be shut down for 14 days. I don't see how you can have baseball season when a team gets shut down for 14 days here and there.   I don't think the league or the union is going to let players play through it. 

And I am sure there are coaches in bad health who are older.  It just doesn't seem feasible..  The players and the owners have enough money to take a year off.  If they were a new or struggling league I would think they would play. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Your  numbers were low and you are letting tons of people come from out of state including a lot of New Yorkers. This was bound to happen.  Maine and Hawaii are doing well as they aren't letting people into their states.  

Tourism brings in over 100B a year to the State so yea, they can't keep people out.  That would end up worse than the virus.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Tourism brings in over 100B a year to the State so yea, they can't keep people out.  That would end up worse than the virus.

I don't disagree.  But if you have millions of people coming from outside the state and you have 21 million locals the virus was bound to spread like wildfire at some point. What happened is the states that opened first had people traveling to them from states that were not open.  

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't disagree.  But if you have millions of people coming from outside the state and you have 21 million locals the virus was bound to spread like wildfire at some point. What happened is the states that opened first had people traveling to them from states that were not open.  

Particularly when a sizeable amount of the population isn't taking precautions.  I went to Publix today, maybe half the customers had masks on.  At Wawa you are lucky to see a quarter.  I've also noticed that a number of businesses are easing back on the constant cleaning.  Probably pulling folks scheduled for that to some other duty.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's spiking down here Tony.

4K reported cases today.

Nice graph here at the NYT.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/20I20/us/florida-coronavirus-cases.html

End of May they were under a thousand a day.

I'm not going to get into this because I know some of you are going to go off whatever data that tells you to be frightened, but cases are not the issues. Deaths and major hospitalizations are the key. The testing numbers are going to increase because of the massive increases in availability of testing now. Many of us probably already had it and it passed like any typical FLU without ever being tested. But I'm not getting pulled back into this argument. 

At the end of the day, baseball is not suddenly worried over COVID19. This is more negotiating tactics.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not going to get into this because I know some of you are going to go off whatever data that tells you to be frightened, but cases are not the issues. Deaths and major hospitalizations are the key. The testing numbers are going to increase because of the massive increases in availability of testing now. Many of us probably already had it and it passed like any typical FLU without ever being tested. But I'm not getting pulled back into this argument. 

At the end of the day, baseball is not suddenly worried over COVID19. This is more negotiating tactics.

I agree.

I'm also not frightened.

That being said the numbers in Florida and not solely due to an increase in testing.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I guess your definition of “infinitesimal” is different than mine.    We are still having about 150,000 new cases per week and roughly 5,000 deaths per week in this country.   Happily, the death rate is down substantially and because the new cases are more spread throughout the country, we aren’t seeing hospitals totally overwhelmed and bodies being piled up into trucks, as was the case when 1/3 of all the new cases were in New York.    And the reason we aren’t seeing that is a large part of the population is being careful.    Not everyone is, and we’ll see what happens as a result.    Praying for the best but we need to be prepared for the worst.   

As to MLB, 8 infected people in one complex is pretty good reason to be concerned.    

You are too smart to go off case numbers when testing is now widely available. As the positive cases go up, you will suddenly notice the death and hospital rates plummet because this thing affects people differently, just like a flu. 

Many more people had this thing then has ever been reported which means the death and hospitalization rates were way over blown as people were hellbent on making this more serious than it was.

Regardless, no one will convince me this is anything more than a negotiating tactic.

I will also say I believe it's your God given right to be a fearful/careful as you want. For people scared, or want to wear masks everywhere, or want to hunker down, please do so.

I'm not going to get into politics here, but clearly most of the people so scare over COVID suddenly lost their concern for a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I agree.

I'm also not frightened.

That being said the numbers in Florida and not solely due to an increase in testing.

Feel free to believe what you want. At least for now, this is a free country.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Even if the odds of dying for players is next to nothing. If players get infected they are going to be shut down for 14 days. I don't see how you can have baseball season when a team gets shut down for 14 days here and there.   I don't think the league or the union is going to let players play through it. 

And I am sure there are coaches in bad health who are older.  It just doesn't seem feasible..  The players and the owners have enough money to take a year off.  If they were a new or struggling league I would think they would play. 

Hey, it's the new norm right? That's what people like you want us to believe right? So how about these older coaches take the year off or retire to their safe, cozy houses where they can wear their masks all day if they want? Apparently people over 60 will never be able to work again if this is the new norm anyways, right? It is up to the fragile to quarantine themselves if they feel like it, not for the world to stop for them. I'm betting very few will actually skip the season even if they are being paid do so.

As for the players, players go on the DL all the time. Have 30 man rosters and another 30 down in Florida ready to go. If a player needs to be quarantined for 14 days, he goes on the 15-day DL and it's next man up. Pretty simple solution.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 2