Some things that will make this season interesting

SteveA

On 6/24/2020 at 2:43 PM, SteveA said:

3) Of course all of the "average" stats will have some outlier numbers.   The Cy Young Winner will likely be 10-1 with a 1.36 ERA.   Someone may hit .400, certainly several people will hit .350+,   There's going to be some incredible cards in next year's Strat-o-matic set.

Fangraphs’ Craig Edwards estimates the odds of someone hitting .400 over a 60-game schedule at about 3%.    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/will-a-player-hit-400-this-season/

On 6/24/2020 at 2:47 PM, Ruzious said:

Good post.  I definitely don't like the extra inning experiment, but gimmicks like that can help the O's.  

With the 60 game sprint, all you need are a couple of good streaks, and you  could be in contention.  The O's still have no shot at the playoffs, but they could make it interesting for a while.  And each game should be more meaningful.  

Great insight!  We are naturally the worst team in the league.  So the more baseball is dicked around with, the better our chances of ending up with a favorable outcome!  

• Upvote 1

I’m just hoping and praying each day that the season stays on. Every game is going to be VERY meaningful, I can’t wait for Os baseball! I’ll miss being at the ball park but I’ll settle for live games at this point.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Catch 8 said:

Great insight!  We are naturally the worst team in the league.  So the more baseball is dicked around with, the better our chances of ending up with a favorable outcome!  

Calm the f down.  I said I didn't like it - just making an observation.  .  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Catch 8 said:

The 2018 and 2019 Orioles own spots in the bottom five worst run differentials over the last 20 years.

And this year wont have Bundy, Villar, or Mancini.

EDIT: for all 30 teams, as in... 600 seasons of baseball

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Calm the f down.  I said I didn't like it - just making an observation.  .  

I would prefer they play a normal 10th  or 11th. Then go to the new rule. For those of you who are diehard fans, I suppose this change is blasphemy, but other sports have changed their rules and it makes it more exciting. 4 on 4 hockey is more exciting than 5 on 5. Shoot outs are exciting. I don't like 4 hour games. I imagine players and managers hate long games. Your observation is like a kid seeing a food and says he doesn't like it before he tastes it. This is the non-season to try it, basically a 60 game exhibition schedule, where all stats are basically meaningless. Even the eventual WS winner have an asterisk. It will nice to see them play. In fact the O's may benefit more than normal...give the kids a chance and long look.

8 hours ago, Catch 8 said:

To be fair, they are artificially the worst team.  If they let the best 26 play, they would win more games.

1 hour ago, VaBird1 said:

To be fair, they are artificially the worst team.  If they let the best 26 play, they would win more games.

I'm curious how you mean that.  Do you mean folks like Mountcastle and Diaz and are you talking going all out and bringing up Hall, Rodriguez and Adley?

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not having Bundy is addition by subtraction, IMO.

I disagree with this ... Dylan was a disappointment based on the outer rim projections and expectations based on his draft status. 

He was an under 5 ERA pitcher 2 of the last 3 years. 

We had much worse food including 2 slots that were constantly in flux.

53 minutes ago, makoman said:

I don’t see how losing a league averagish pitcher from the worst staff in the league makes it better. 

The goal was not better.  It was cheaper.

I don't think Elias considered Bundy  a pitcher that would be with the team when the O's contended again.  So he traded him for prospects to have a cheaper payroll which building.

Just now, wildcard said:

The goal was not better.  It was cheaper.

I don't think Elias considered Bundy  a pitcher that would be with the team when the O's contended again.  So he traded him for prospects to have a cheaper payroll which building.

For the life of me I can't remember who he got back.  Looking it up now.