Some things that will make this season interesting

SteveA

Good post.  I definitely don't like the extra inning experiment, but gimmicks like that can help the O's.  

With the 60 game sprint, all you need are a couple of good streaks, and you  could be in contention.  The O's still have no shot at the playoffs, but they could make it interesting for a while.  And each game should be more meaningful.  

Nice post.   The only thing I’d quibble with is whether “multiple” players will bat over .350 after 60 games.    I couldn’t find a list of batting leaders at the 60-game mark from last year, but of the 19 qualifiers who batted .300+ on the season, only one was batting over .350 after 60 games — Cody Bellinger, .376.     So, while it certainly could happen, I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s likely that multiple guys will hit that high.    

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The only issue I have with the new rules is the extra innings rule. Having a runner on second base to start extras is dumb. Who gets the runs scored? Does the pitcher get an earned run when the runner scores from second even though he didn't allow him there?

Love adding the universal DH an hope that stays, but count me against the extra innings. I'd honestly rather just say you can play up to 12 innings then it's a tie.

I think they count it as an unearned run.  I believe the runner is treated as if he reached on error.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The only issue I have with the new rules is the extra innings rule. Having a runner on second base to start extras is dumb. Who gets the runs scored? Does the pitcher get an earned run when the runner scores from second even though he didn't allow him there?

Love adding the universal DH an hope that stays, but count me against the extra innings. I'd honestly rather just say you can play up to 12 innings then it's a tie.

Agree completely.  This is such a dumb rule. 

• Upvote 1

With the schedule the way it is the O's may be a lock for the 1-1 next draft. It is a brutal schedule with 60% or more of the schedule against the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Braves, and Nationals. Toronto, Mets and Phillies should be decent. Just the Marlins who should be on our level and we only play them 5 times? Anything can happen in a short season but....

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

With the schedule the way it is the O's may be a lock for the 1-1 next draft. It is a brutal schedule with 60% or more of the schedule against the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Braves, and Nationals. Toronto, Mets and Phillies should be decent. Just the Marlins who should be on our level and we only play them 5 times? Anything can happen in a short season but....

This will be the year they go 29-31 and screw up getting the top pick.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Agree completely.  This is such a dumb rule. 

It feels like a crappy suggestion from a media personality who doesn't really even seem to enjoy the sport. Sounds like something a Mike Greenberg or Tony Kornheiser would stump for to speed the game up.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I say that it smacks of school yard ball when even girls used to participate, and out play some of the boys, I might add.  As to the obsession to speed the game up.  When you folks have lived as long as I have, you just might realize that life is/has been one big RUSH.  Baseball was the one place where I could sit back, have a beer and some popcorn and for a few minutes not have a care in the world. If I really wanted to participate,  I could always scream at the ump. I hope they still allow that.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Oriole1940 said:

Yes, I say that it smacks of school yard ball when even girls used to participate, and out play some of the boys, I might add.  As to the obsession to speed the game up.  When you folks have lived as long as I have, you just might realize that life is/has been one big RUSH.  Baseball was the one place where I could sit back, have a beer and some popcorn and for a few minutes not have a care in the world. If I really wanted to participate,  I could always scream at the ump. I hope they still allow that.  

Funny, for the most part the older folks are that I interact with the less patient they are.