This turned out to be a great time to go cheap

25 Nuggets

17 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

I do not believe that, though I'm probably in the minority there.  For me, chopping the season to this extent pretty much takes the legitimacy out of the process.  I'd rather they hadn't played at all this year.

More than when the Royals played the Giants in the World Series?

7 hours ago, interloper said:

I think you have a wildly inaccurate/misguided view of the Angelos brothers so far. Just my opinion. 

Based off of what?

Most things they have done, for the ML team and with the ML roster, points to them being cheap.

Yes we are seeing them do more with Intl FAs and they are putting some money into the organization, which is great to see...but there is only so much there and there is a lot more they aren’t spending on.

I prefer them to their dad but they still aren’t close to good yet.

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Based off of what?

Most things they have done, for the ML team and with the ML roster, points to them being cheap.

Yes we are seeing them do more with Intl FAs and they are putting some money into the organization, which is great to see...but there is only so much there and there is a lot more they aren’t spending on.

I prefer them to their dad but they still aren’t close to good yet.

100% impossible to know that at this stage. The fact they hired Elias and Co. and started an Analytics Dept and an International Scouting dept alone means they get it. 

It's a PROPER rebuild. Not the half-assed approach we've been treated to at various times over the last 20 years or so. 

35 minutes ago, interloper said:

100% impossible to know that at this stage. The fact they hired Elias and Co. and started an Analytics Dept and an International Scouting dept alone means they get it. 

It's a PROPER rebuild. Not the half-assed approach we've been treated to at various times over the last 20 years or so. 

There are 2 different discussions here.

First of all, I’m good with selling off pieces and going cheaper and younger for now..of course, they did it in a half assed way and other guys should be gone.

Secondly, this rebuild started with DD still here.  The Gausman deal was strictly about saving money.  If they cared about the best rebuild possible, you ignore the pennies and get the best players.

Also, we saw the deal between the Angels and the Giants and how the Giants essentially bought a good prospect for taking on Cozart’s deal.  That was right after the Bundy deal and was the Os needed a SS at the time.  You then heard Elias basically say that type of deal wouldn’t be signed off on by the owners.  That’s a huge problem to me.

The Orioles are spending about 100M less on payroll than they did 3-4 years ago.  They have flexibility to take advantage of teams that could try to dump contracts and attach good young players to it.(see David Price as an example) They can take advantage and sign a FA who maybe has slipped through the cracks.  

There are things they are doing that are encouraging but I see no reason to have total faith in them and give them the benefit of the doubt.  Elias will have to be really good for this to work and if he is just above average, the team probably will struggle to truly contend unless things break right for them like they did from 2012-2016.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There are 2 different discussions here.

First of all, I’m good with selling off pieces and going cheaper and younger for now..of course, they did it in a half assed way and other guys should be gone.

Secondly, this rebuild started with DD still here.  The Gausman deal was strictly about saving money.  If they cared about the best rebuild possible, you ignore the pennies and get the best players.

Also, we saw the deal between the Angels and the Giants and how the Giants essentially bought a good prospect for taking on Cozart’s deal.  That was right after the Bundy deal and was the Os needed a SS at the time.  You then heard Elias basically say that type of deal wouldn’t be signed off on by the owners.  That’s a huge problem to me.

The Orioles are spending about 100M less on payroll than they did 3-4 years ago.  They have flexibility to take advantage of teams that could try to dump contracts and attach good young players to it.(see David Price as an example) They can take advantage and sign a FA who maybe has slipped through the cracks.  

There are things they are doing that are encouraging but I see no reason to have total faith in them and give them the benefit of the doubt.  Elias will have to be really good for this to work and if he is just above average, the team probably will struggle to truly contend unless things break right for them like they did from 2012-2016.

Personally, things went south here, when the Jays came kicking the tires on DD. Peter lost faith in DD and went back to his micromanaging ways, Gausman deal, Im sure was direct order from top the mountain top.

There is no reason to sign off deals right now, there are not there yet.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Personally, things went south here, when the Jays came kicking the tires on DD. Peter lost faith in DD and went back to his micromanaging ways, Gausman deal, Im sure was direct order from top the mountain top.

There is no reason to sign off deals right now, there are not there yet.

The sons were basically in charge when the KG deal happened.

And that’s also a weak argument.  The bottom line is that the goal was obviously to save money and the prize you got, intl slot money, you didn’t even utilize it for the purpose you acquired it for.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The sons were basically in charge when the KG deal happened.

And that’s also a weak argument.  The bottom line is that the goal was obviously to save money and the prize you got, intl slot money, you didn’t even utilize it for the purpose you acquired it for.

They were in the intl slot game, and just because they hadnt got their goal, is better than not even trying to get into the game.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

They were in the intl slot game, and just because they hadnt got their goal, is better than not even trying to get into the game.

Were they?  Or was trading for the slot money just to make the return look better?  Remember the Braves couldn't spend it.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Were they?  Or was trading for the slot money just to make the return look better?  Remember the Braves couldn't spend it.

How many international players did they sign? 

They did sign some, and the last I check some was more than zero, which was what they had been doing.

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

But if the purpose of your deal is to get player X and then you strike out, that turns a bad deal into an awful deal.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

How many international players did they sign? 

They did sign some, and the last I check some was more than zero, which was what they had been doing.

But they didn't need to dip into any of the slot allotments they got from the Braves.

I will also say that I don't know when you checked, but the O's NEVER spent zero.

They went from spending less than everyone else to spending less than everyone else except the Braves who were not allowed to spend.